shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own an electric kettle? Do you use it?

Do you own an electric kettle? Do you use it?

• Yes, I own an electric kettle, and I use it.

Votes: 36 67.9%
  • Yes, I own an electric kettle, but I don't use it.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No, I don't own an electric kettle.

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of an electric kettle before now. No one I know has one or has ever mentioned one.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm British & cannot remember never having an electric kettle. I grew up with one & have had one all my life. I don't know anyone, literally ANYONE, who doesn't have one. I use mine several times a day. I lived in New Zealand for a few years too, and again, its the norm there to have one & use one daily. If the kettle breaks, its a disaster. An emergency breaks out & you have to dash out for a new one immediately! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one of the "I own an electric kettle but don't use it" people. After all this testimony, coupled with the fact that my kettle is old and has lost its whistle, I think its time that I join the club!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1427032771|3850919 said:
ricezo|1427016069|3850879 said:
MishB|1426982488|3850780 said:
Of course I do! (But I'm in Australia - I don't think there would be a household in Australia that doesn't have one).

I suppose it depends what you use the water for, for tea making it's by far the best. The auto shutoff means the water isn't boiling and boiling before you get to it to turn it off. Over boiled water is murder for tea. The same with microwaving, how can you tell when it's at the right temperature? Besides, I like to use the microwave as little as possible.

My electric kettle is cordless (the base station plugs in) so it's still convenient to refill or carry to where you need it.

Plus there's the safety aspect, not having hot elements or gas flames, boiling dry risk when you don't need to.
+1

Another Australian here and I don't think I've ever been to a house that did not have an electric kettle! I use mine everyday.

+2 Another Aussie and I agree most homes here have them. We have one upstairs for boiled water and one downstairs for tea/hot drinks etc.

+3 Yet another Aussie who couldn't live without an electric kettle. I have a lovely red shiny Breville which has different temperature settings for different teas & coffee. My MIL has one but that's because she has an Aga stove so it's constantly hot and ready to boil a kettle any time aaaaannd she's super stingy about using electricity.... :lol: Literally do not know anyone else who uses one!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm American and I don't have an electric kettle. I just use the microwave to heat up water now. We do have a Keurig but we don't use it anymore. I grew up drinking tea but we used a regular tea kettle on the stove. I've always thought electric kettles were more of a European thing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grew up with an electric kettle but now that I am in the US, I use a regular pot to boil my hot water. :-o

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
No kettle, at all?! I'm so confused, hahaha.

I'm Canadian. We've always had a kettle, an electric one. I prefer electric because I often walk away from the stove and I would probably burn the house down with a stove top kettle. Plus, I find the electric ones faster (gas stoves are uncommon in my part of Canada). Like a couple of other people posted, I have a glass/pyrex kettle, to cut down on my exposure to chemicals in the plastic. To me, it's weird to heat up plastic over and over again and not expect some chemicals to escape into the water. Plus, the glass ones look super cool.

I'm still scratching my head over the 'no kettle in the house' - what did you do before there were microwaves? Obviously, this is a part of my worldview I have not examined before ;-)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
American, senior citizen :) never saw one, never used one. We drank lots of tea though. Always the kettle on the stove. I have seen them more in Europe and was recently in NZ and AUS and saw them all around.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1427127623|3851321 said:
No kettle, at all?! I'm so confused, hahaha.

I'm still scratching my head over the 'no kettle in the house' - what did you do before there were microwaves? Obviously, this is a part of my worldview I have not examined before ;-)

Maccers, this is exactly what my DH was like during our conversation. He honestly just thought that my parents were odd and that I was making stuff up about Americans which couldn't possibly be true. Poor things. I feel like we may need a support group for the shock that has been caused here. :)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I live in the US, and have 2 electric kettles, but we're big tea drinkers in our house.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Rhea said:
Maccers, this is exactly what my DH was like during our conversation. He honestly just thought that my parents were odd and that I was making stuff up about Americans which couldn't possibly be true. Poor things. I feel like we may need a support group for the shock that has been caused here. :)

Luckily, I was born after microwaves were around. I think I do own a kettle (somewhere) but I bought it for decorative purposes only.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is totally one of these cultural divide issues :bigsmile:
You won't find a house in Scotland that doesn't have a kettle. It's a basic. Like... oxygen?

eta, we also have microwaves, but you don't use them to boil water for tea. It doesn't taste right.

Essential starter / new home pack is kettle, toaster, microwave. With those, you can conquer the world (or at least, make tea, toast and um, something reheated?).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1427144884|3851459 said:
Essential starter / new home pack is kettle, toaster, microwave. With those, you can conquer the world (or at least, make tea, toast and um, something reheated?).

I have not replaced by microwave since it died over 2 years ago, and can live without one.

Matching kettle and toaster sets are very common in UK and Europe for certain, and peeps like them as house-warming or wedding gifts.

Mine are not matching, however, they are both stainless steel.

Electric kettles are so ingrained into our daily lives that any accommodation that is worth its salt will have one in the room as part of a brew kit, from cheap bed and breakfast to the grandest hotels.

Brew kit is not common in mainland Europe, and I bought a small travel kettle while in France so that I could have a brew in my hotel room while on holiday or business over there. I dropped and broke it, so it needs to be replaced.

I also have a 120V travel kettle that I can use in North America, bought while holidaying in Vancouver with my late partner after visiting my folks, so that we could have a brew in the comfort and privacy of our hotel room whenever we felt like it.

DK :))

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
HotPozzum|1427081102|3851185 said:
arkieb1|1427032771|3850919 said:
ricezo|1427016069|3850879 said:
MishB|1426982488|3850780 said:
Of course I do! (But I'm in Australia - I don't think there would be a household in Australia that doesn't have one).

I suppose it depends what you use the water for, for tea making it's by far the best. The auto shutoff means the water isn't boiling and boiling before you get to it to turn it off. Over boiled water is murder for tea. The same with microwaving, how can you tell when it's at the right temperature? Besides, I like to use the microwave as little as possible.

My electric kettle is cordless (the base station plugs in) so it's still convenient to refill or carry to where you need it.

Plus there's the safety aspect, not having hot elements or gas flames, boiling dry risk when you don't need to.
+1

Another Australian here and I don't think I've ever been to a house that did not have an electric kettle! I use mine everyday.

+2 Another Aussie and I agree most homes here have them. We have one upstairs for boiled water and one downstairs for tea/hot drinks etc.

+3 Yet another Aussie who couldn't live without an electric kettle. I have a lovely red shiny Breville which has different temperature settings for different teas & coffee. My MIL has one but that's because she has an Aga stove so it's constantly hot and ready to boil a kettle any time aaaaannd she's super stingy about using electricity.... :lol: Literally do not know anyone else who uses one!

Awesome. My next kettle will be one with different temperature settings. It's just best for tea to use water that is just below the boil. If I'm making 'serious tea' I'll stand and watch the kettle and turn it off just as it starts to 'roll'. I think something about boiling removing the oxygen from the water which affects the taste?

I also pour the water out and refill it from the filter jug for each boiling if I'm making tea.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I'm an American, and I don't have an electric kettle. We use a regular kettle on the stovetop. We mostly use it with our French press to make coffee. My mom drinks a lot of tea. She used a ceramic tea kettle when I was growing up.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have one at home, but we have one in the office that we all use constantly. We fill it up about twice a day. Lots of tea drinkers here.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
When my American in-laws visited us in the UK they were fascinated by it! :confused: They called it a "quick-boil". :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love mine. And it's glass. It's boils super fast. And its safe. No overboiling. No metal taste. No rust. No need for a burner.
I use it every day.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
House Cat|1426968216|3850690 said:
I don't understand electric kettles. Can someone explain why you own one? What is wrong with the kettle on the stove?

My husband and I were just having this discussion because a friend sent us a french press and some beautiful coffee from Italy. He said we needed an electric kettle. I just don't understand why. :confused:

Electricity and Natural gas are much more expensive in a lot of places as compared to the US. Especially europe, where they have been like that for decades. Why is something like a ford focus considered a mid-sized can in Europe. Because gas is just that more expensive. Heating water on the stove is a major waste of energy, regardless of whether your stove is electricity or natural gas. I'd be willing to bet Rhea that if you took a poll of the people in the US that have them, they probably live in areas with higher energy prices (such as CA). If you boil water on your stove multiple times a day, switching to an electric kettle will save you money.

Add on the safety aspects and the fact that a lot more people seemingly drink tea in those areas, that probably explains the divide.

For all the microwave heaters, boiling water in the microwave is actually dangerous. More info here: http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the US - no kettle, no toaster, no microwave here - we do have an electric 12-cup Mr. Coffee coffeemaker which we use once each morning - the rare times I need to boil water, I use a pot on my gas stove.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1427267237|3852132 said:
Love mine. And it's glass. It's boils super fast. And its safe. No overboiling. No metal taste. No rust. No need for a burner.
I use it every day.

I should probably explain that for me part of it is cultural. Persians usually have a Samovar. Complete waste in our household, but at my grandparent's home it was on 12 hours a day and looked similar to this: http://www.wayfair.com/Ovente-Samovar-4.23-qt.-Tea-Maker-S22B-S22W-L1070-K~TNOV1040.html?refid=GX50899292100-TNOV1040_9253394&device=c&ptid=75699964500&PiID[]=9253394&gclid=CLquoq3gxMQCFQGTfgodCSAA4w So I'm used to having a dedicated tea station in the house.

And half my family is from Australia. Which is actually where I fell in love with the electric kettle. Can't do without it now.

I do strongly prefer the glass ones though. And they are super easy to clean with white vinegar solution. This is mine (though I got it for half the price at Tuesday Morning): http://www.crateandbarrel.com/capresso-h2o-plus-electric-kettle/s202053?b=1&a=1552

And yes, we are primarily tea drinkers. Though we both love coffee from a french press-- which the electric kettle is perfect for as well.

As for the microwave: they are VERY dangerous for boiling water. Someone posted the link above. It's not a joke. You can seriously hurt yourself with one.

And my husband ALWAYS ruined my kettles on the stove by forgetting about them and the next thing I knew it was dry and ruined. Never happens with the electric kettle.

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
My is half Persian, half British, and obsessed with the latest fad of pour over coffee so yes, we have a number of electric kettles! We're in the Bay Area now, but lived in the UK and New Zealand for a few years, so electric kettles for tea time is a must. I got him this temperature control Bonavita for his birthday, which seems to get the most use. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tmot14|1427360111|3852566 said:
My is half Persian, half British, and obsessed with the latest fad of pour over coffee so yes, we have a number of electric kettles! We're in the Bay Area now, but lived in the UK and New Zealand for a few years, so electric kettles for tea time is a must. I got him this temperature control Bonavita for his birthday, which seems to get the most use. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40

Where in the Bay Area? I on the peninsula!

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1427399356|3852829 said:

Me too! I'm on the Millbrae/Burlingame border :). What about you?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
my other electrokettle melts 3 ounces of bronze in 15 minutes!

electrokettle.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tmot14|1427447446|3853132 said:

I'm in San Mateo.
There are a large number of us in the Bay Area. Our people are everywhere :Up_to_something:

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1427495572|3853425 said:
tmot14|1427447446|3853132 said:

I'm in San Mateo.
There are a large number of us in the Bay Area. Our people are everywhere :Up_to_something:
We're practically neighbors! :)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the votes everyone! I still maintain that electric kettles, in general, are a much more Australian, Canadian, and European thing than an American thing but my poll is holding strong at 2/3rds electric kettle users.

I'm with Jennifer W, water boiled in the microwave doesn't taste right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results