carat
color
clarity

Can we talk cameras?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello lovely people! :wavey:

My trusty Canon camera has just died on me and in truth was never the best at taking photos of jewellery and I now heavily rely on my iPhone. I've just had the honour of being asked to submit some of my handmade jewellery to a magazine and they want/need, good quality photos, so I'm in the market to buy a new camera.

My constraints are:-

1. I know nothing about cameras other than the flower icon is a good one to use for close ups!
2. I want a compact camera that is easy to carry around on holiday and don't want to be bothered with changing lenses.
3. I don't want to pay the earth. My maximum budget is probably £400 ($650 ish).
4. I want one that is pretty much idiot proof.

Does anybody have any suggestions please?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions Vapid. One thing I meant to add was that I need a built in flash!

BTW I really don't like how that Fuji one looks - it's like a 1970s throwback. I know that Fuji's are supposed to be great cameras but I also want one that looks good! :bigsmile:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Cameras can be a very personal thing, so it's best to go into a shop and try it out for weight, comfort, etc.

I've had flawless experiences with both Canon and Sony cameras (and one Panasonic), both point-and-shoot and digital SLRs, and I still own and use both kind depending upon the situation. If ease is what you want, then I recommend a compact, but advanced point-and-shoot, and the first one linked offers a fantastic mix of quality and value for the money. I've also bought from BH Photo Video without issue for both cameras and computer peripherals.

I own the more advanced RX10 of this series, and it's the best camera I've ever used. This one performs nearly as well for a lot less. There's a newer model than this one, but it doesn't add anything earth shattering for the extra money:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100m2_digital_camera.html

Great all around camera for just about anything:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080917-REG/canon_9546b001_powershot_g7_x_digital.html

This is also a great camera, but is slightly out of your price range:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082158-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx100_digital_camera.html

Edited to add: You know, I should mention that I don't photograph jewelry and that may very well require something specific for the best results (others who do that here may offer advice there). I do a lot of HDR landscapes and mostly video. I've taken quick pics of jewelry for fun only, and with my iPhone, and I found it quite difficult.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1426958855|3850628 said:
BTW I really don't like how that Fuji one looks - it's like a 1970s throwback. I know that Fuji's are supposed to be great cameras but I also want one that looks good! :bigsmile:

The retro look seems to be all the rage at the mo, and not just for Fujifilm.

I too am not too keen on the retro look myself.

Earlier today, I could not get my camera to work due to "Protected Card" error message, and thought I too might have to get another camera, and went looking for one, and discovered a lot of them with retro look.

Good job I Googled to see if the issue could be rectified, and discovered the slider on the SD Card was in the "protected" position when I took it in and out of the camera to unload the pics. I did not know such a slider existed in the first place, DOH! :oops: Issue now resolved, and new camera not required.

DK :))

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LD|1426958855|3850628 said:
Thanks for the suggestions Vapid. One thing I meant to add was that I need a built in flash!

For photographing stones, you don't want to use a flash. Lighting and a steady tripod are as important as the camera.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, LD.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiya LD!!!

Here is a thread on taking photos. In it, about 2/3 of the way down the page, Kenny provided me some invaluable input about the camera's light sensors. It turns out that my camera has the lousiest sensor, which makes it extremely difficult to take good photos even in a light box unless I invested in some top grade lighting, etc. So my advice is to look at the chart that Kenny includes and go out in search of the cameras with the best sensors!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kenny-and-gene-photo-help-needed.186123/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kenny-and-gene-photo-help-needed.186123/[/URL]

ETA: and congratulations - I'm not at all surprised!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I confess I like the retro look, but I was a photo major in the '80s and for hand work we all wanted a leica. For my real work I use Linhof 4 x 5 and 8 x 10 cameras, or ones I build specially for the lens.

The fuji has a special macro mode that lets you get 6 inches from the subject. The other has more zoom which lets you get closer from farther away and reduces the reflection of the camera problem.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everybody for your input.

Gene - there's no way I would use a flash for photographing jewellery but I need a camera I can take on holiday as well (hence the need for a built in flash).

Anyway, I have discovered a phenomenal called a bridge camera :wall: and I'm sure you are all familiar with that term and it was only me hidden away like a mushroom! Anyway, I've bought a Canon as it can focus at 0cm and has a reasonably high ISO which I understand is good!

Thanks again for your help x

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results