shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Boxes NYC?

mercurial_dirigible

Rough_Rock
Just took delivery of an engagement ring but wasn't overly impressed with the box the ring came in. Planning to propose this weekend, so last minute request, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a higher quality ring box in Manhattan? Can be relatively simple, just want it to be small and a classic clamshell style. Dark wood, metal, leather, something of a little higher quality than the cloth over cardboard drawer from Brian Gavin. Imagine there are a bunch of options online but would need to grab this in person tomorrow...

Any advice is much appreciated!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've purchased little storage-display boxes & parcel papers, and wallet, for colored gems at Kassoy on 47th Street. In all honesty, I didn't take note of what ring presentation/gift boxes they keep at hand, but according to some Yelpers' comments, it seems that both Kassoy and Zak are likely sources, provided you don't feel the need to get a unique, artsy box:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kassoy-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/zak-jewelry-tools-new-york

Relevant pages from Kassoy's online catalog here:
http://www.kassoy.com/prodcat/Jewelry_Gift_Boxes.asp

P.S. We're looking forward to seeing photos of the ring :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could also call a few antique shops or vintage jewelers and ask them if they have any vintage ring boxes?

Or there's this, which isn't really a box but would be something she could re-use later.
http://www.henribendel.com/mini-ring-box-27874511510193.html?start=1&cgid=shop_jewelry_jewelry_Boxes

similar, from Tiffany:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP08028&mcat=&cid=&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+-s+1-r+-t+jewelry%20case-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+500+1&search=1&origin=search&searchkeyword=jewelry%20case#p+1-n+10000-c+-s+1-r+-t+jewelry%20case-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+false+2-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+500+1

There's also this:
http://themrsbox.com/collections/all

they're tiny, but nice, and you might be able to get one overnighted to you for Saturday delivery? Or they might have an NYC shop that uses them and might be able to arrange a sale?

baroque

Shiny_Rock
In a pinch, you could even try Target or Macy's...they have unbranded velvet ring boxes with fashion rings in them...I have a rather nice velvet one that came from Macy's, perfect size to put in your coat pocket to pull out for the proposal, it is from Macy's.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh I would have died if my ring came in a Mrs Box.

I know you can't see that in person but I can't imagine it would vary too much from what you see online.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1426873980|3850141 said:

I know you can't see that in person but I can't imagine it would vary too much from what you see online.
They're not very big so it might also be easily concealed. I am actually really considering buying a couple for myself, bec my Tiffany box hinges are starting to go and they won't replace the boxes for me. I just have to buy new items to get new boxes. EYE. ROLL.

mercurial_dirigible

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the help.

I was able to stop by ZAK which had a number of ring boxes. Nothing of heirloom quality, but plenty of simple traditional options, including a nice navy and gold number I snagged for less than $10.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1426874752|3850151 said:
Niel|1426873980|3850141 said:

They're not very big so it might also be easily concealed. I am actually really considering buying a couple for myself, bec my Tiffany box hinges are starting to go and they won't replace the boxes for me. I just have to buy new items to get new boxes. EYE. ROLL.

Yeah, Ive been seriously consider them, myself.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my little Mrs Boxes! :love: They are indeed very delicate yet beautiful!

img_8082_-_version_0.jpg

baroque

Shiny_Rock
m-2-b|1426878754|3850215 said:
I love my little Mrs Boxes! :love: They are indeed very delicate yet beautiful!

just great...there goes my $$...just have to decide which color(s)!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they something that will hold up to daily use? Like taking the lid on and off 2x a day?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
And how secure are the lids?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mercurial_dirigible|1426874847|3850152 said:
I was able to stop by ZAK which had a number of ring boxes. Nothing of heirloom quality, but plenty of simple traditional options, including a nice navy and gold number I snagged for less than $10.
YAY, happy to hear you were able to find one that pleases you without having to run around Manhattan in the snowy weather today -- it sounds like a lovely accompaniment to the ring!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="ame my Tiffany box hinges are starting to go and they won't replace the boxes for me. I just have to buy new items to get new boxes. EYE. ROLL.[/quote]

=) not a bad way to get more boxes!

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
ame|1426889661|3850323 said:

I only have one, so I don't know how typical my experience is, but I would say the lid on mine pops off pretty easily. I'm not sure what your plans for this box are, but I wouldn't just toss mine in my purse and expect the lid to stay on all day especially if I'm running all over town and/or constantly in&out of the purse looking for wallet, keys, etc.

I also have a lighter color, so for me, I think they are best suited for decoration / at-home storage (like a place to keep my ring when I'm not wearing it) where the chance of it getting dinged up is minimized.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1427034624|3850930 said:
ame said:
my Tiffany box hinges are starting to go and they won't replace the boxes for me. I just have to buy new items to get new boxes. EYE. ROLL.

=) not a bad way to get more boxes!
True except that I have no plans for more Tiffany buys ;-) Other items elsewhere...yes...

mn_shopaholic|1427038518|3850941 said:
ame|1426889661|3850323 said:

I only have one, so I don't know how typical my experience is, but I would say the lid on mine pops off pretty easily. I'm not sure what your plans for this box are, but I wouldn't just toss mine in my purse and expect the lid to stay on all day especially if I'm running all over town and/or constantly in&out of the purse looking for wallet, keys, etc.

I also have a lighter color, so for me, I think they are best suited for decoration / at-home storage (like a place to keep my ring when I'm not wearing it) where the chance of it getting dinged up is minimized.
Dang ok, that's good to know. They'd need to be a little hardier than that or I'd need to leave a ponytail holder on them all the time. I was going to have them in my little pouch and they would be in the pouch in my purse at times where they'd "bounce" and we can't have that or the rings would be banging around too. I emailed the company but did not get a reply.

Good to know! Thanks!

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
ame said:
Dang ok, that's good to know. They'd need to be a little hardier than that or I'd need to leave a ponytail holder on them all the time. I was going to have them in my little pouch and they would be in the pouch in my purse at times where they'd "bounce" and we can't have that or the rings would be banging around too. I emailed the company but did not get a reply.

The outer cardboard box the MRS boxes come in is about the same size as a T&Co suede ring box, so you could possibly get away with keeping it in that box and then have the box-within-a-box in a pouch; but I'm not sure how that would hold up over the long term.

OP - Sorry if this is too far off-topic. I hope your proposal went well this weekend! (or that it does go well if it hasn't happened yet) :))

img_7437.jpg

img_7439.jpg

img_0559.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are FANTASTIC photos, thank you so much! WOW! It's so tiny!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results