shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I taking a chance on this diamond?

lt519

Rough_Rock
So I ordered this online, and am obviously second guessing myself as every person would. Here's the GIA info:

Round Brilliant
6.26-6.29x3.76
.9c
F
SI1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Clarity Char: Twinning Wisps, Feather
HCA: 1.2

What I'm concerned about is the Clarity Characteristics without seeing the diamond itself. I went in trusting GIA certification and now and questioning whether I should have gone VS2 instead. Can I expect this to turn out well based on the excellent cut and color despite clarity the characteristics?

My other questions falls with Fluorescence. I see a lot of people say it comes down to preference and that you can barely tell most of the time. But others say the Strong rating means it'll definitely be noticeable in daylight. I understand there's a small chance it'll end up milky or oily, I guess that's just a risk. Anyway I can still cancel and/or return, guess I'm just nervous and would be curious what the pros here have to say? Is there a good way to track down a photo besides contacting the dealer?

Thanks!

Well I talked to the dealer, I'm getting pictures but apparently it is "eye clean from all angles" and "There has been a fluorescence visual and they state there is no milkiness or haziness visible." Here's a picture, that doesn't seem like it'd be eye clean to me? I can't seem to spot the feather and I'm assuming the 7 o'clock imperfections are the twinning wisps. And call me crazy but is that blue in the bottom right typical? I certainly don't mind some blue, just curious.

ld04961343.jpg

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lt519|1426823953|3849879 said:
So I ordered this online, and am obviously second guessing myself as every person would. Here's the GIA info:

Round Brilliant
6.26-6.29x3.76
.9c
F
SI1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Clarity Char: Twinning Wisps, Feather
HCA: 1.2

What I'm concerned about is the Clarity Characteristics without seeing the diamond itself. I went in trusting GIA certification and now and questioning whether I should have gone VS2 instead. Can I expect this to turn out well based on the excellent cut and color despite clarity the characteristics?

My other questions falls with Fluorescence. I see a lot of people say it comes down to preference and that you can barely tell most of the time. But others say the Strong rating means it'll definitely be noticeable in daylight. I understand there's a small chance it'll end up milky or oily, I guess that's just a risk. Anyway I can still cancel and/or return, guess I'm just nervous and would be curious what the pros here have to say? Is there a good way to track down a photo besides contacting the dealer?

Thanks!

Twinning wisps are usually pretty tough to see, feather may be more noticeable especialy when you see it unmounted and view from the side or pavilion. Clarity plot would help too. As far as cut goes, it would help to know the angles and table/depth measurements but since the HCA is 1.8 you should be pretty safe. Did you ask the vendor for photos and about the strong blue and if it has a negative effect?

Edit: I see the picture now and the info on fluroescence having no negative effect. Picture looks pretty good to me. I do believe it can certainly be eye clean. The photo is WAY magnified.

lt519

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding! I actually just posted a picture.

Anyway the HCA is 1.2 not 1.8 and the table is 59% and the Depth 59.9% (33.5 and 40.8 for angles). I tried to stay under 60% for both. My girlfriend has very small hands and actually hates jewelry (yeah I know) so I decided to go for color and cut as a higher priority than clarity as long as it wouldn't be naked eye visible.

Seeing is believing in the end, just looking to ease my mind a bit. The internet is awful when you have too much time (:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty good, but I would go down to G color with better clarity. You have to have magnified images to choose an SI stone, as you can see from this example.

That blue is just a reflection. You do not see fluorescence unless UV light is present. I had to use a UV flashlight to see it in my diamond that had SBF.

lt519

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426826366|3849896 said:
You have to have magnified images to choose an SI stone, as you can see from this example.

Thank you for the insight. I looked at some in store and I couldn't pinpoint it but the F stones just gave me a better feeling than the G and that is even before I looked at what they were (she gave me a blind test). It was probably some other characteristic, I was even more uneducated at the time.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how to read your comment about being able to see from this example? Just trying to educate myself, I'm not tied to any one diamond yet (obviously). Would the inclusions in this case actually affect the light reflection or is it that you feel that might just be visible to the naked eye? This came in under budget as well, so I certainly could keep F and go to VS2, so were you implying a good value trade off or that F isn't really needed?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lt519|1426826954|3849901 said:
diamondseeker2006|1426826366|3849896 said:
You have to have magnified images to choose an SI stone, as you can see from this example.

Thank you for the insight. I looked at some in store and I couldn't pinpoint it but the F stones just gave me a better feeling than the G and that is even before I looked at what they were (she gave me a blind test). It was probably some other characteristic, I was even more uneducated at the time.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how to read your comment about being able to see from this example? Just trying to educate myself, I'm not tied to any one diamond yet (obviously). Would the inclusions in this case actually affect the light reflection or is it that you feel that might just be visible to the naked eye? This came in under budget as well, so I certainly could keep F and go to VS2, so were you implying a good value trade off or that F isn't really needed?

What is needed in your diamond is up to you and you only. If you felt like the F was better and something wasnt quite right about the G then stay with the F. Also, just because some prefer higher clarity to be on the safe side, it doesnt mean you can't find great value and performance in SI clarity. Inclusions can affect the light transmission but I would venture to say that in an SI1 that is far less likely than it is to have perfectly normal light transmission. If the stone seems dull it could be do to clarity but I highly doubt you have any issues here (more likely in si2 and especially i1/i2 clarity). And I do believe it will likely be eye clean as I said before, with the only iffy part being the dark spot under the edge of the table around 7 oclock. The other stuff down at 7 oclock may blend into the crown well and could be masked with a prong.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lt519|1426823953|3849879 said:
There are many differing opinions on the impacts of fluorescence. It is an important characteristic, if for no other reason than it can significantly impact price and value, and as such is something that should be explored in order to make a well informed decision. There have been many discussions here recently on this topic. Here is one of them:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fluorescence-pros-and-cons.211191/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fluorescence-pros-and-cons.211191/[/URL]

You will most likely only notice the fluorescent effect when viewing the stone in direct sunlight. If it has a transparency problem (milky/hazy) you will see it due to the intensity of the UV wavelengths in direct sunlight. Typical indoor lighting environments do not contain enough UV of high enough intensity to activate the fluorescent effect.

Of course it will glow like crazy under a black light which contains concentrated UV (like those often used in night clubs) . So it is also important to be prepared for that!

lt519

Rough_Rock
Well, got it today and can't see a single blemish with it all the way to staring at it within an inch of my eye. It was set in a temporary setting so they also may have done a good job hiding any of the inclusions. It's too cloudy outside to check out the blue fluorescence so that'll have to wait a few days til the weather clears up but I don't see any cloudiness with the diamond in indoor lighting. Sparkles a lot and is beautifully clear. I'll post a picture once I get a chance.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you got a good stone. Please post pics : )

lt519

Rough_Rock
I'm at work so I can't do anything fancy; snuck into a conference room with crappy lighting and snapped a photo with my phone. I can't wait to see it in good light, it's raining out now. When everyone leaves work tonight I'll pull it out at my desk, better lighting here. I'm excited though, even in the poor lighting the thing sparkles like crazy. More-so than the ones I saw in the store, being able to look at exact dimensions online seems to have its benefits.

My pinky is bigger than her index finger :0 Size six ring and I think that's actually one size too high, I just wanted her to be able to put it on before getting the real setting.

_578.png

img_20150330_094809.jpg

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks great! Nice job at finding a beautiful stone. She'll love it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks nice!

lt519

Rough_Rock
The sun peeked out and I took the diamond outside. It certainly has a strong blue fluorescence! I'm not quite sure how I feel about it or what is normal. The diamond turns blue, but it loses a lot of it's brilliance and sparkle. Is this normal for a diamond in direct sunlight regardless of fluorescence? I'm not sure if this is the clouding to be wary of or normal behaviour. I can put it in the shade of my car and the brilliance and whiteness come right back. I'll post a picture shortly.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. Ideal cuts can take on a dark look in bright sun but it should still be throwing off lots of sparkles. I know the one I just bought flashes colors like crazy in the sunlight.

lt519

Rough_Rock
Just went back out and the sun went away so it was cloudy out. The diamond now appears much more white than clear and as soon as I put my body in the way of the sun (that is behind the clouds) it goes back to sparkling and being clear. Thanks for the help pfunk!

Out of the sun in the car:

In the cloudy day:

img_20150330_170911_1_.jpg

img_20150330_170949_1_.jpg

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
They have different characters in different lighting situations for sure.

At first I quite liked the way our stone would darken up in direct sunlight/bright spotlighting, with a great show of dispersion. It is an AGS0 with no fleur, however if its a little dirty and in the sun it can indeed appear dark blue. These days I'm starting to prefer more natural light with a balance of fire and brilliance. Cup your hand around it and see how its nature changes, or take it somewhere dark and hold it by a candle, and it'll show you more sides to its personality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results