shape
carat
color
clarity

Duties & Taxes Entering USA, from Thailand or China! HELP!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Duties & Taxes Entering USA, from Thailand or China! HELP!

What can one expect to pay in duties and taxes etc. when receiving a strand of pearls or small pearl packages from Thailand or China when entering the United States? I am not talking bulk buys. I know it’s based on the value and item and I would think your State. So far, not much luck from FedEx. Help from anyone with recent or past experiences, and what those charges totaled I would appreciate.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Duties & Taxes Entering USA, from Thailand or China! HEL

I'd suggest calling US Customs and Border Protection for info. This page gives basic info, but no specifics:

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

It's complicated, so for cross boarder purchases where I am, the best way to know for sure is to order something small first to see what the duty is, and use that to guesstimate future purchases.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

I've often wondered how eBay sellers in China can offer free shipping.

eBay and UPS have information on customs, but nothing specific.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks cmd2014, this was very informative with your good advice!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

I've ordered pearls from ebay stores in China and never paid anything except whatever they listed on their sites as the shipping charges. Unless I'm missing something here?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know, it's interesting. I tried plugging in some fake numbers through an online duty calculator, and the U.S. import showed no duty, whereas Canada customs said 6.5% in duty plus 13% sales tax would be due on the Canadian dollar exchange amount for the purchase price not including the shipping. Maybe the U.S. doesn't charge you guys duty for stuff under a certain amount.

Edited for spelling.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Shipping, duty and purchase tax are all separate issues.
Loose cultured pearls on temporary strands have the code 7101223000 and single cultured pearls are 7101226000. These are worldwide codes which are used by all governments to make trade simpler.
If you are buying from an experienced seller then they will know that and the stuff below

shipping - the seller pays the shipping fee. However you the buyer will still be liable for any fees a shipping company may levy for taking the package through customs. Into the UK it is usually about £10-£12, whether it is a private company or Royal Mail. Even if the tax or duty is only 1penny they'll charge the fee.

Duty is the tax imposed on imports by a country. So it varies from country to country, depending on what the government wants to allow in and raise money from. Unfinished pearls attract no duty into the UK/European Union. Finished - made - jewellery gets a 4% duty imposed. (Hence the duty free at airports for traditional high duty items such as booze where governments allow you to bring in a small amount without having to pay duty)

VAT/Purchase tax is another way the government takes indirect taxes off us. Into the UK it's 20%VAT levied on anything and everything as the items enter the country. We are allowed £35 before tax is imposed if it is personal, but not for a business. (Anything over these limits and if in person you are in the red channel and paying)
So your import will have some variation on customs clearance fees, duty and or tax to pay as it enters your country.
So, basically you buy the stuff then when it arrives you pay the shipper and they will release it and deliver it. You don't really have to do anything. It should be a straightforward process.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The USA has a rather generous policy on duties. I've bought from overseas and have not had to pay duty yet for anything. I'm sure it depends in part on the value of what you import.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

seaurchin|1426468203|3847814 said:
I've ordered pearls from ebay stores in China and never paid anything except whatever they listed on their sites as the shipping charges. Unless I'm missing something here?

Has your experience been good? I'm often tempted, but the prices are so crazy low that I wonder about quality. Did it take a long time to receive your item?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

With pearls, you really do get what you pay for, in general. There is a reason why most of the tahitian and south sea pearls on ebay, etsy and alibaba are so cheap.

(They're dyed and not very good quality freshwater0

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've gotten some fun strands from China that weren't bad.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I didn't say - or intend to say - that all chinese source pearls are terrible. Just the lying ones

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I have bought two items from China using ebay. There has never been any charges except the normal shipping. One items said it was in the USA and it was shipped from China.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks All,
The knowledge by seasoned experienced sellers and purchasers has given so much good information to all of us around the world. It's takes a little time and digging through import rules, but worth the research in your own country and state to be aware of costs. YOU are the importer and responsible for all the fees .

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

With finished jewelry going into the USA from overseas...you may have to pay duty. It's just luck when things go through. I've tried to get an answer from Fed Ex ... they don't know and don't care as "its not their problem" . When I get something through UPS and it's over 1,000 they call and make me pay the duty before delivery.

Most inexpensive items will slip through if shipped regular postal service and not private, and I'm quite sure this is due to the massive increase in packages moving around the world. Customs just don't have time to sort out each one like they used to do.

If shipping is FED EX or DHL then they will usually charge you for the shipping. And you are more likely to get hit for duty if it's expensive.

As for length of delivery time...should be about 2-3 weeks. But I just had a package from Dallas Texas...it spend 4 weeks in the Dallas post office...then a week in New York at various sorting facilities...then a few days in Dubai .... then Melbourne for 5 days...then to me. Over all .. 6 weeks from the USA to Australia. So WHO KNOWS! I've sent things to the USA by Australia post and had it arrive in 8 days and another time it took 3 weeks...usually 2 weeks.

Best to stick with inexpensive things so if it doesn't work out you don't get stung too badly. As Wendy said... when it comes to pearls you get what you pay for...there are no inexpensive high quality pearls...they might be a good deal..but they won't be cheap.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I do wonder if much of the profit in international shipping comes from that customs clearance fee levied. Even if it isn't the profit it certainly ices the shipping company's cake.
Most of the big companies have their own sort of branch of the customs operation in-house. One of the companies had their operation closed down for importing for months in the UK because they were not doing it properly.(and had let in a couple of suspect packages too)
But to go back to the OP. If you are buying from an experienced seller/exporter just leave them to sort it. You will just need to either just get the package or pay and just get the package

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results