shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your opinions on these 4 diamonds :)

Please vote for the best diamond out of these 4!

• #1 2.05 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2 2.01 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • #3 2.06 D VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • #4 2.09 E VVS1 Triple E

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426253295|3846561 said:
If their friends have HW and Cartier e-rings with D-F, I think going below G is very risky, personally. F would be better.

There is this...

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3059430.htm

Ame, I don't understand the idea of him proposing with a non-branded ring in a HW box. Surely you aren't suggesting that they lie to their friends and suggest it is HW??? I am all for the idea of saying we went for the top cut quality stone above what the brands offer and had a custom setting made, but not pretending the ring is a high end brand. If the brand is that important in her social circle, please get the Cartier or other larger ring from HW, Cartier, VCA, Graff.

enhasa....I hope they will be able to show you the size difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 ct rings because that is significant. My diamond is 2.3 cts and I will tell you, she needs to go larger than that.
I think she definitely needs to see the size differences.

I am basically suggesting that if she's not comfortable admitting they went outside of a brand, that they get their HW wedding bands so she still gets her branded ring, and get a non-branded ering and use the HW ring box for the proposal. If her friends care so much about where her ring is from, and it is a big deal to make a production of it, then yes, fudge it. I got the impression that she only really cares about the brand because her friends care about the brand. She's really concerned about the impression, and keeping up with that impression. Personally I don't thinks it's their business and if they're really great friends, why would they care where it came from as long as she's happy... but it seems like it matters the appearance of where it's from, so that's why I am suggesting it. They'll assume it's from there but only the wedding bands will be. And it's really none of their beeswax if it's true or not.

Also--Wildcatz brings up a good point. If you decide to go nonbranded after you've seen all of these rings in person and if she decides she wants a larger stone, you two could fly to Houston and meet with Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and SEE these stones we've mentioned in person and then if you love any of them have them sent (or take them with you) to the designer of your choice. Victor Canera is in LA. You could meet with him in person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I'd like to visit WF, those are diamonds that I could buy with my eyes closed! I definitely don't think they need to take a trip there. If they like HW diamonds, WF diamonds are better! :bigsmile:

I guess we are just going to have a difference of opinion on the issue of misleading people on the brand, but I have a Tiffany repro e-ring that is close enough that it has been assumed in Tiffany that it is theirs, and if the sales person says it, I always say no, I love the Tiffany ring but I have a reproduction setting with a specialty cut stone. I do have a real Tiffany wedding band. My friends would be the last people I would lie to about where my ring came from. True friends are honest with each other. Again, if the brand is important enough to have to lie about, please, please get the branded ring. (Just my opinion.)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426257085|3846594 said:
As much as I'd like to visit WF, those are diamonds that I could buy with my eyes closed! I definitely don't think they need to take a trip there. If they like HW diamonds, WF diamonds are better! :bigsmile:

I guess we are just going to have a difference of opinion on the issue of misleading people on the brand, but I have a Tiffany repro e-ring that is close enough that it has been assumed in Tiffany that it is theirs, and if the sales person says it, I always say no, I love the Tiffany ring but I have a reproduction setting with a specialty cut stone. I do have a real Tiffany wedding band. My friends would be the last people I would lie to about where my ring came from. True friends are honest with each other. Again, if the brand is important enough to have to lie about, please, please get the branded ring. (Just my opinion.)
Mine being similar as well, with a Tiffany band, seems to trick people too, and depending who it is, Ill either cop to it or not. My REAL friends and family know my ering isn't from Tiffany, real friends don't care as long as you're happy. My real friends couldn't give two shits about my rings, in fact. They're just surprised if they're ever on my hands... But if someone was in my life that valued where my ering came from more whether or not it made me happy and was what I wanted, brand or not, enough that I felt the need to keep up with their opinions? That's not really my friend. Frienemy, maybe, but not a real friend. Where your ring is from is really none of their business as long as you love it. Let em believe it's HW or wherever if you want.

As for visiting WF/BGD, I think this is a couple that is more of a see it with their eyes kind of couple. I don't know that they could buy it sight unseen like we could.

I do think you're 100% right that 2.01 is not going to cut it for her, size 3.5ish ring size or not (oh the envy.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enhasa|1426236767|3846494 said:
canuk-gal|1426210077|3846385 said:
HI:

The $$ value doesn't make it legit. Can't pay for the level of this drama.

Call me on it. I say, TROLL.

cheers--Sharon

You mean the prices are not legit? Rather than to accuse me and jump to stupid conclusions, why not just pick up the phone, and call any HW to verify? All it takes is 2-3 minutes at the very most. You can also call any big brand names such as Cartier, Graff, etc for the pricing. They all have very similar markups.

Go troll with your kind on reddit or 4chan.

I would appreciate it if you can refrain from derailing this thread into a typical reddit thread. Thank you.

You called me on it. Apologies.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
OK, I will chime in.
Dear girlfriend, please do absolutely consider and go with a non high name ring.
if you go with WF or BGD for the diamond you will get a PERFECT diamond that will hold its value much better that any high end name.
For your friends, if they really are into that much branding, know that most high end names have their production done by contractors ( I worked for one in Paris 20 years ago and he was making haute couture and jewelry for almost all the big couture names and included the joaillerie part, I was making deliveries, one day I delivered more than $5 million at Chanel).
Just because the brand stamp is on a ring, it gets a 30% increase in price.

If you go for non high end branded diamond and get WF or BGD , those are high end brands too.
Then you can have your ring made by whomever you like who is an artisan like VC or LM or SK and those guys have had a bazillion of their stuff on the red carpet!
For this kind of money, you could have a stone that is better and so much bigger than your friends and believe me they will envy you, HW or not.
Get you bands at HW if you need a brand for social image but please get a BETTER diamond in cut and size by not buying the premium or big brands.

Also make sure to see with your eyes what a perfect cut in D, E, F and G color looks like.
A perfect cut G will look as good color wise if not better(especially if there is a light fluoro) as a. Excellent D.

Do not let your circle of friends convince you that a smaller diamond but high end name brand is better. Because we are all size whores. Get as big as you can and as big on your finger that looks good, your friends will be impressed. How knows you might start a new trend in your social circle of " we got it from this up and coming Hollywood/catering to the stars artisan ".
Like you were one of the first to have a ring from and help put this artisan on the map!

I hope you find the diamond and ring that make you both happy.

24caratsequin

Rough_Rock
Phanie said:
OK, I will chime in.
Dear girlfriend, please do absolutely consider and go with a non high name ring.
if you go with WF or BGD for the diamond you will get a PERFECT diamond that will hold its value much better that any high end name.
For your friends, if they really are into that much branding, know that most high end names have their production done by contractors ( I worked for one in Paris 20 years ago and he was making haute couture and jewelry for almost all the big couture names and included the joaillerie part, I was making deliveries, one day I delivered more than $5 million at Chanel).

If you go for non high end branded diamond and get WF or BGD , those are high end brands too.
Then you can have your ring made by whomever you like who is an artisan like VC or LM or SK and those guys have had a bazillion of their stuff on the red carpet!
For this kind of money, you could have a stone that is better and so much bigger than your friends and believe me they will envy you, HW or not.
Get you bands at HW if you need a brand for social image but please get a BETTER diamond in cut and size by not buying the premium or big brands.

Also make sure to see with your eyes what a perfect cut in D, E, F and G color looks like.
A perfect cut G will look as good color wise if not better(especially if there is a light fluoro) as a. Excellent D.

Do not let your circle of friends convince you that a smaller diamond but high end name brand is better. Because we are all size whores. Get as big as you can and as big on your finger that looks good, your friends will be impressed. How knows you might start a new trend in your social circle of " we got it from this up and coming Hollywood/catering to the stars artisan ".
Like you were one of the first to have a ring from and help put this artisan on the map!

Every single word of this! (Coming from an admitted label ho).

There must be some cachet in not having the exact same ring style as all her friends. I'd take a one of a kind work of art any day over yet another brand name piece with much less personality and thought going into its manufacture.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1426251664|3846551 said:
Ooohhhhh man if she goes for that 4ct rock I will be forever envious.

An H or I will not be yellow. Obviously the H less than the I. There are folks here with J's and lower in that size range that are not very warm at all. They'll have more body warmth than a DEF would, obviously, but because they're cut like heaven, you won't see it other than a little from the side in some lighting conditions. Face up though, no. Nice and bright. FOUR. CARATS. IN BUDGET. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I am dying DYING to hear her thoughts after seeing the ring today/tomorrow, and I think it's wise to have her try on the 3 and 4 ct sizes in person to see if she's content with the 2 on her hand or really would rather sacrifice brand for size. My idea would work beautifully. No one but you two would know any better. You're still stuck waiting like 2 weeks for a resize anyway, or the set stone from Cartier if you go with that 2.5 from them. If she decides that 4ct monster is worth it, why not wait another week or two and get the thing made to order.

We didn't get to see the ring today. Was planning to go to the boutique but some stuff came up, so we will be going there tomorrow instead.

Yea what you said makes total sense. So the only thing left for now is to see if she thinks a 2 carat is sufficient enough for her finger. If it is "good enough" then she will settle for the 2 carat and get the brand. But if the 3 / 4 carat looks nicer and not too overwhelming on her, then that's what we will go with. I will definitely keep you posted!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426253295|3846561 said:
If their friends have HW and Cartier e-rings with D-F, I think going below G is very risky, personally. F would be better.

There is this...

Ame, I don't understand the idea of him proposing with a non-branded ring in a HW box. Surely you aren't suggesting that they lie to their friends and suggest it is HW??? I am all for the idea of saying we went for the top cut quality stone above what the brands offer and had a custom setting made, but not pretending the ring is a high end brand. If the brand is that important in her social circle, please get the Cartier or other larger ring from HW, Cartier, VCA, Graff.

enhasa....I hope they will be able to show you the size difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 ct rings because that is significant. My diamond is 2.3 cts and I will tell you, she needs to go larger than that.

HW is the only "big brand" that restricts their diamond to D E F. Cartier, Tiffany and Graff carry lower color and clarity diamonds too. Graff Beverly Hills has a 3 carat K color ring that's about 80k. Size looks nice but the side baguettes looks whiter than the center stone.

I wont try to pose the ring off as a branded brand. If I get a non-brand, it's just the way it is going to be. It's not as "impressive" without the brand, but like Ame said, the stone itself is going to be a monster :D.

Also it's not worth the embarrassment when others find out that I had to pose it off as a branded ring. I can think of many scenarios where her friends may find out, such as when they go on shopping together and take the ring in for cleaning.....HW isn't going to clean a ring that isn't made and sold by them.

Plus like what you and Ame said, the gigantic stone speaks for itself :)

Right now we're just not 100% sure yet because the Tiffany's 3 carat ring looked not as nice on her, so she's thinking 2 is sufficient.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
wildcatz|1426255718|3846582 said:
For the amount of money you would save on the Whiteflash stone you could fly to Texas and show it to her in person. April in Texas is beautiful as all the wildflowers are in bloom. If she likes it you could meet with your designer of choice and let her plan her custom, hand forged ring. Personally, although i love the ring she chose, i think the stone is set too high.

Edit: i just saw the Brian Gavin stone and as he is located in the same city, you could also see diamonds there for comparison.

Brian Gavin is also located in Texas, from what I can find on the internet.

I don't think she's up for a trip to Texas just to see the stones in person. She'd rather go to Hawaii if she's flying anywhere....

Does anyone know of any good jewelers in Los Angeles area?

BrownyJones

Rough_Rock
Maybe 2ct is sufficient. The bigger her stone, the smaller your stones will look next to her big stone.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1426256088|3846586 said:
I think she definitely needs to see the size differences.

I am basically suggesting that if she's not comfortable admitting they went outside of a brand, that they get their HW wedding bands so she still gets her branded ring, and get a non-branded ering and use the HW ring box for the proposal. If her friends care so much about where her ring is from, and it is a big deal to make a production of it, then yes, fudge it. I got the impression that she only really cares about the brand because her friends care about the brand. She's really concerned about the impression, and keeping up with that impression. Personally I don't thinks it's their business and if they're really great friends, why would they care where it came from as long as she's happy... but it seems like it matters the appearance of where it's from, so that's why I am suggesting it. They'll assume it's from there but only the wedding bands will be. And it's really none of their beeswax if it's true or not.

Also--Wildcatz brings up a good point. If you decide to go nonbranded after you've seen all of these rings in person and if she decides she wants a larger stone, you two could fly to Houston and meet with Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and SEE these stones we've mentioned in person and then if you love any of them have them sent (or take them with you) to the designer of your choice. Victor Canera is in LA. You could meet with him in person.

Yea I agree with what both of you said. We'll definitely compare sizes and see what she thinks.

And yes Ame, you nailed it! That is totally what she and her friends think. I managed to convince her a little. Hopefully when she sees the diamond in person she'll change her mind.

I think I may try to meet Victor Canera first and look at the settings in person. As long as there is a setting that she likes, finding the stone from WW, Brian or other sources shouldn't be too hard.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1426259348|3846613 said:
You called me on it. Apologies.

It is fine. I am sorry I over-reacted as well.
I do visit quite a few tech blogs and trolls are pretty rampant on there, so it's pretty easy for me to get irritated at times. I had a long day as well so I wasn't in the best mood either.

enhasa

Rough_Rock

From what you guys have posted so far, I think WF diamonds are definitely very good. Those hearts and arrows images are just perfect!

She won't lie about where she got the ring from. She's also a horrible liar :razz:

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1426257621|3846600 said:

Mine being similar as well, with a Tiffany band, seems to trick people too, and depending who it is, Ill either cop to it or not. My REAL friends and family know my ering isn't from Tiffany, real friends don't care as long as you're happy. My real friends couldn't give two shits about my rings, in fact. They're just surprised if they're ever on my hands... But if someone was in my life that valued where my ering came from more whether or not it made me happy and was what I wanted, brand or not, enough that I felt the need to keep up with their opinions? That's not really my friend. Frienemy, maybe, but not a real friend. Where your ring is from is really none of their business as long as you love it. Let em believe it's HW or wherever if you want.

As for visiting WF/BGD, I think this is a couple that is more of a see it with their eyes kind of couple. I don't know that they could buy it sight unseen like we could.

I do think you're 100% right that 2.01 is not going to cut it for her, size 3.5ish ring size or not (oh the envy.)

For a 3.5 finger size, is there a "optimal" carat size? I know it's always the "bigger the better" and there's really no "cap" to this.....but say for a 3.5 finger size, what do you think is reasonable and will look "big enough"?

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Phanie|1426281149|3846779 said:
OK, I will chime in.

Thank you so much for the advice! She's asleep right now so I sent what you wrote to her email so she can read it when she's awake.
Ame and DS have been reiterating the same thing, but it's not easy for her to just throw out the brand name image overnight. Just like how she buy brand name bags, clothes, jewelry, etc.

In my opinion, the diamond doesn't have to be from a brand name since it serves zero purchase as it is not a unique design, and we're really just paying for the stupid markup and marketing. But if she's just not comfortable with a non-branded, then I will ultimately stick to a brand name since it's her ring and not mine.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
enhasa|1426317498|3846992 said:
Thank you so much for the advice! She's asleep right now so I sent what you wrote to her email so she can read it when she's awake.
Ame and DS have been reiterating the same thing, but it's not easy for her to just throw out the brand name image overnight. Just like how she buy brand name bags, clothes, jewelry, etc.

In my opinion, the diamond doesn't have to be from a brand name since it serves zero purchase as it is not a unique design, and we're really just paying for the stupid markup and marketing. But if she's just not comfortable with a non-branded, then I will ultimately stick to a brand name since it's her ring and not mine.

You are so great, what a lucky girl! I CAN NOT wait to see what you both choose! Any which way you go, Its going to be a beautiful showstopper no matter what!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4.5 ct ACA from Whiteflash and people definitely do notice the size and sparkle! You will not be disappointed in this superideal cut if you choose to go this route! Good luck to you both!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin and Whiteflash are BOTH in Houston, and FYI Brian Gavin started WF, before leaving to start Brian Gavin Diamonds. So either way, you are getting a stunner. AND you could see them both in one shot if you wanted to meet with them in person. I checked HPD and GOG but haven't seen any in that size/budget range at present. I saw a 6ct N on HPD but I don't think she'd go for an N.

With VC being in LA that would work well for you. You'd be able to work with him on the setting in person.

It really is worth considering the non-branded ring to get that monster if she wants the size. And really, if she wants PERFECT, and she's happy with 2-2.5 carats, she could get PERFECT without the brand and know she got PERFECT.

It is hard to throw out the brand name overnight. But she's got the branded bags, shoes, clothing, car, etc. She wants perfect cut and sparkle right? That's what I'd want more than a brand. But again, I am weird. As I have warned you both about repeatedly.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
If you do end up going to LA to check out some possible custom ring artisans (understandable about not making the additional trip to Texas), you might be able to get one (or possibly more) of the Whiteflash stones (2ct D/IF , 4ct G , 5ct I) shipped out to an approved appraiser/seller to see what one of those options might look like.

I've heard of this before, but I'm not sure of all the details, so you would have to check more specifics here:
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/whiteflash-policies/whiteflash-recommended-jewelry-appraisers-1127.htm

It might be that you can see the stone + meet the craftsman who will create the ring in one fell swoop, this way.

Just a suggestion!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
RockyRacoon|1426451127|3847686 said:
you might be able to get one (or possibly more) of the Whiteflash stones (2ct D/IF , 4ct G , 5ct I) shipped out to an approved appraiser/seller to see what one of those options might look like.

Realized that I had mis-spoke (mis-typed) when I mentioned the three WF stones.

Here are the three I was referencing:
2.064ct, D, IF
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3007544.htm

3.083ct, G, VS1

5.591ct, I, VS1

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3200101.htm

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update....

Thank you all so much!
My gf read this thread and she was a little upset I didn't portray her as nice :razz:
I just want to say this: She is really sweet and nice! In my eyes, she's the best :)

She saw #2 ring (2.01 E VVS2) and she liked it. The ring has a nice brilliance / glow to it with lots of sparkle. Our SA was off that day, so that was the only ring we saw since it was someone else helping us. #3 ring (2.06 D VVS) is still en route from Paris, so we're waiting for it to arrive. We'll drop by the store again and compare #2 and #3 side by side, and also possibly look at a 3 carat stone just to compare.

We passed on the Cartier stones since the cut isn't as good, and it's too much trouble to see those diamonds as it is still a loose stone, and they require full deposit prior to setting it.

However, given our circumstances (limited timeframe and we want to see the diamond in person before we buy), we will most likely just buy HW. I will still give a few of those jewelers a call tomorrow to ask about the details though.

Once again, thank you all so so much!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad it passed muster! I look forward to hearing what she thinks of the other ring and the larger stones--esp if she's more willing to hear our argument of perfection and size for the money. If you're going to pay this much, get the BEST there can ever be. On that finger size, a honker is just proof that life is not fair ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results