shape
carat
color
clarity

Double Halo Q: What Size Center Stone is OK IYO?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been a few threads about double halos recently, and it's got me thinking. At what size center stone do you feel a double halo is appropriate, and not overwhelming for the centerstone?

Are there examples of proportions on a double halo that you can post?

TIA.

hogster

Rough_Rock
I would also be interested. Looking at a 1.1 carat cushion and would like a double halo design too.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a personal preference. For me I tend to prefer stones in the .75-1.5ct range in a double halo. But I think the more important part is the actual double halo and making sure it is done delicately and proportionately depending on your sized center stone. I have one in progress with ERD for a right hand ring with a .94carat cushion for a RHR! Can't wait!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not the center stone for me. It's the proportion. I think a 1 carat cushions (or under) needs 1/2 pointers in the halo to not look overwhelmed. A double halo with 1 pointers is too overwhelming for a one carat cushion.

I think you can do a double halo around just about anything, as long as the halos are proportionate.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I love Andi's oval double halo from Bachelorette. Specifically it's how there's an airline between the two halos as a bit of a breather. Also the melee size is tiny relative to the 2-3 carat ish centre.

image_2183.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408402477|3735054 said:
It's not the center stone for me. It's the proportion. I think a 1 carat cushions (or under) needs 1/2 pointers in the halo to not look overwhelmed. A double halo with 1 pointers is too overwhelming for a one carat cushion.

I think you can do a double halo around just about anything, as long as the halos are proportionate.

What about for a 8mm stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know. I would probably have to see CADs. Or trust someone like Victor or Steven, after giving them pictures that show the proportions I like. The ring above (Andi's from some reality show I don't watch) has great proportions.

Why do you need a double halo though on an 8mm stone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, good to know, thanks. Yeah, maybe 1 pointers are too much? That would be roughly 5mm of diamond halo on an 8mm stone... so 50%+ of the stone's size. Yikes.

I've always wanted a double halo something. I have a pink mahenge in a single halo that I'm very happy with, so I want something with a double now.

and you forget that I loveeee finger coverage :lol: I had previously put a 10.25 in a 2.2mm halo and didn't think it was overwhelming!!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408407808|3735116 said:
I don't know. I would probably have to see CADs. Or trust someone like Victor or Steven, after giving them pictures that show the proportions I like. The ring above (Andi's from some reality show I don't watch) has great proportions.

Why do you need a double halo though on an 8mm stone!

Hey Gypsy, I don't know if you saw my CADs on that other thread about the double halo but I was curious what you thought. I basically told Mark I wanted the Soleste and to keep the halo delicate. He recommended an H color or better center stone in that style so that there would be little contrast with the melee which I felt was great advice so I ended up with a .94 OMB H VS2 stone from him! Anyways, I'm more of a visual person so I decided off of the CADs and I liked his proportion. I asked him today what melee size he used and he said 1.1 and 1.2mm, so under 1 pointers. Just curious on what you thought.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I was thinking.. that 2.2mm single halo on 10.25mm stone.. that's a proportion of roughly 21.5%. I thought that it wasn't bad looking, but it was definitely a bigger halo. I would not do that proportion in a double halo.

If I applied this logic.. reduce it to maybe 20-25% for BOTH halos for a 8mm stone..
That would be a 1.6-2mm double halo.

????

reduce that in half for per halo..
and that's 0.8-1mm each halo.

Gypsy, does this sound right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madelise I went to lawschool to avoid math.

My halo is 1/2 pointers. It is VERY delicate. And 1/2 pointers are 1mm, which means my HALO is thicker than 1mm, as again, mine is super delicate. So you could EASILY go bigger than mine for an 8mm double halo. But 1 pointers, IMO are still too big. One pointers are 1.3mm, when you add metal to that, you somehow (don't ask me how) get 1.8-2.0mm halo EACH. Which means about 4mm per side. Which even with an 8mm stone, I think is too much. So you need something less than 1 pointers and more than 1/2 pointers.

3/4 pointers are 1.12mm, that might be good. But I'd have to see the CAD. Or use Steven or Victor and trust them.

More than that I can't say. Also, I know you know this, but it also depends on the skill of the jeweler how much bulk the pave adds. Mark T's handforged bench, Steven or Victor, would get the best minimal metal look and make the finest halos.

Lizzyann, It's a personal preference thing. I like the way your halos are tiered. And I like the overall shape of the shank and the ring. But you only posted profile shots of the ring. And I would have to see the ring head on to tell you if I PERSONALLY like the proportions of yours. So please post them if you want me to look at it. That said, please keep in mind whatever I say is only MY opinion. And if you love what you see, then my personal opinion isn't worth a hill of beans. Still, if you want it, I would need to see the head on CAD.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408410903|3735158 said:

:lol: :lol: sorry Gypsy!!

My halo is 1/2 pointers. It is VERY delicate. And 1/2 pointers are 1mm, which means my HALO is thicker than 1mm, as again, mine is super delicate. So you could EASILY go bigger than mine for an 8mm double halo. But 1 pointers, IMO are still too big. One pointers are 1.3mm, when you add metal to that, you somehow (don't ask me how) get 1.8-2.0mm halo EACH. Which means about 4mm per side. Which even with an 8mm stone, I think is too much. So you need something less than 1 pointers and more than 1/2 pointers.

3/4 pointers are 1.12mm, that might be good. But I'd have to see the CAD. Or use Steven or Victor and trust them.

More than that I can't say. Also, I know you know this, but it also depends on the skill of the jeweler how much bulk the pave adds. Mark T's handforged bench, Steven or Victor, would get the best minimal metal look and make the finest halos.

I actually think a double of 1/2 pointers sounds really good!! I feel like you can't go TOO DELICATE, but it's so easy to go TOO big.

Ah well. I like CADs to help with this, but the metal always freaks me out on CADs :knockout:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I understand what you mean Gypsy. The thing is that this is going to be a RHR, so I'm not afraid of adding too much mm, but I still want it to look proportionate and not swallow the center stone. But it's meant to be a fun RHR with some size, kwim? If it was for my engagement ring I think I would be more concerned about keeping the halo very slim if that makes sense. Anyhoo, here are my other two CADs that I didn't post in the other. I also referenced this thread to show Mark the one that I saw him make and liked a lot and with a similar sized center. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-fab-ring-by-mark-erd.174252/

I was concerned about the amount of metal showing in the head on shot, but Mark assured me that it was bulkier in CAD form but would not be in real life. He said the halos would be a tight fit.

_19025.jpg

_19031.jpg

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1408411762|3735172 said:
Gypsy|1408410903|3735158 said:

:lol: :lol: sorry Gypsy!!

I actually think a double of 1/2 pointers sounds really good!! I feel like you can't go TOO DELICATE, but it's so easy to go TOO big.

Ah well. I like CADs to help with this, but the metal always freaks me out on CADs :knockout:

I agree on the metal Madelise. It freaked me out at first too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your ring matches the inspiration ring very well regarding proportions. It seems very similar to that one, and that one is not overpowered by the halo the way the other one (from the other guys thread) is. From the CAD it looks like Mark is giving you exactly what you wanted. And that's a good thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madelise, when most people see my halo it's always..."wow that's so delicate." But not in a good way. If they are pricescopes especially it's always said with a little disappointment it seems. I love my ring. But it's not for everyone. It's a VERY delicate THIN line box of pave around my stone.

So I don't want you to go with 1/2 pointers and be disappointed. Also, most jewelers CAN'T do 1/2 point pave. They will talk you out of it, and that's USUALLY because their bench can't execute on it. I know Mark at ERD has ONE bench that can... his handforged. I don't know if his CAD bench can. And I know, both Victor and Steven can do it.

So if you want to do it. Go with ERD. Have them do a CAD for the concept. Then have it handforged. It will cost a lot though. I think recent quotes are in the 6k range. And again, as with all pave, platinum is the best metal for it.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408420481|3735263 said:
I think your ring matches the inspiration ring very well regarding proportions. It seems very similar to that one, and that one is not overpowered by the halo the way the other one (from the other guys thread) is. From the CAD it looks like Mark is giving you exactly what you wanted. And that's a good thing.

Thanks Gypsy! I really loved the Soleste when I tried it on at Tiff's. I only was able to try a yellow center in a one carat-ish size, but I think with a white stone the halos will blend in even more. Here are two other threads I used when determining what I liked. Both solestes, similar center stone sizes. Proportions look close to what I have in the works so I am guessing that melee size are close to mine. Thanks for taking a look!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-soleste-as-per-request.161382/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-tiffany-ring.192770/ - this one inparticular is very similar in size to mine.

Madelise, when are you going ahead with your double halo? Can't wait to see it!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

I completely agree with Gypsy...its all about proportions. I have a 2.5 Cushion/OMB and plan to double halo it. Some may think that I am crazy, but I really want the finger coverage, and when executed correctly, it can be beautiful! It really will depend highly on the talent of your jeweler to pull this off accurately, because you don't want to end up with a little saucer plate on your finger, which is easy to do if not angled correctly. DC519 has a gorgeous double halo on a 2 carat, there was a discussion I posted on SMTB that has some beautiful halos on larger stones...

DC519's ring:

image_2167.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring has perfect proportions. I agree. If that's the look you want, then 1/2 pointers may be a possibility.

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
TruLuv858|1408466002|3735538 said:

I completely agree with Gypsy...its all about proportions. I have a 2.5 Cushion/OMB and plan to double halo it. Some may think that I am crazy, but I really want the finger coverage, and when executed correctly, it can be beautiful! It really will depend highly on the talent of your jeweler to pull this off accurately, because you don't want to end up with a little saucer plate on your finger, which is easy to do if not angled correctly. DC519 has a gorgeous double halo on a 2 carat, there was a discussion I posted on SMTB that has some beautiful halos on larger stones...

DC519's ring:

Are you going to do single cuts? The flashes from small single cuts are awesome!!!

missymoo

Shiny_Rock

DC519's ring:

Are you going to do single cuts? The flashes from small single cuts are awesome!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzyann|1408459735|3735484 said:
Madelise, when are you going ahead with your double halo? Can't wait to see it!

I am still working on designing it, and figuring out proportions. I'm using some of my own stones, too, and the jeweler needs those to incorporate in the CADs to figure out proportions.

So who knows how long it will take? I'm not in a rush for this project... I have another project that's more urgent at the moment.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
quote="missymoo|1408587873|3736596"]

DC519's ring:

Are you going to do single cuts? The flashes from small single cuts are awesome!!![/quote]
Missymoo- In speaking with the jeweler, she recommended full cut melee because we are going with such small melee... We will finalize during the design process, but she worried with the larger faceting we would lose sparkle on such small melee... I did ask her though, as I assumed we would want single cut around an OMB, but we will not be using 1 pointers, so she suggested full cut. I can't wait!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had full cuts and single cuts. I prefer full cuts. My full cuts are 1/2 pointers.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1408646328|3736978 said:
I've had full cuts and single cuts. I prefer full cuts. My full cuts are 1/2 pointers.

Gypsy,

I'm glad to hear it, as I was a little concerned when others recommend single over full for an OMB, but I was told since it will be half pointers, the best sparkle will come from full cuts!

Washingtons86

Rough_Rock
What's the size of each halo? I'm currently working on a custom double halo 1.03 cushion cut center stone and the jeweler is recommending 1.25mm for each halo. I think that's a little smaller than a 1 pointer.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apologise in advance that the pics are of CSs and not diamonds. Also, I am not sure if the rings below classify as halos, as some may call them clusters.

This is a double halo that I like, with smaller diamonds on the inside:
__kgrhqeoko4fg6ekmdv9bsgptl0lf___60_12.jpg

This is a near-double halo ruby cabochon ring that I have:
rubycluster_01.jpg

The proportion of the centre stone and the diamonds in the halos looks pleasing to me in both cases, and I concur with the sentiments that is not the size of the centre stone that matters, it is the overall proportion of centre stone and diamonds in the halos.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I agree. For me, the overall proportions are more important. When I see proportions that are out of whack - it gives me the impression that the halos are simply meant to make the ring (or center stone) look larger and that's not a look that I prefer.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1426595622|3848430 said:
I apologise in advance that the pics are of CSs and not diamonds. Also, I am not sure if the rings below classify as halos, as some may call them clusters.

This is a double halo that I like, with smaller diamonds on the inside:
__kgrhqeoko4fg6ekmdv9bsgptl0lf___60_12.jpg

This is a near-double halo ruby cabochon ring that I have:
rubycluster_01.jpg

The proportion of the centre stone and the diamonds in the halos looks pleasing to me in both cases, and I concur with the sentiments that is not the size of the centre stone that matters, it is the overall proportion of centre stone and diamonds in the halos.

DK :))

While these may have halo qualities, I wouldn't necessarily call them halo rings. These are more like cluster rings and fall under the cocktail ring category (in my opinion)) and therefore, the proportions have different guidelines (again, just my opinion).
But still pretty rings :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results