shape
carat
color
clarity

Crown Angle

davej

Rough_Rock
I have found on line a diamond that grades exc/exc/exc/exc 0.9 by HCA but has a crown angle of 32. My understanding is that the crown angle should be more in the range of 34-35. Is a 32 crown a reason to reject?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
davej|1426442441|3847601 said:
I have found on line a diamond that grades exc/exc/exc/exc 0.9 by HCA but has a crown angle of 32. My understanding is that the crown angle should be more in the range of 34-35. Is a 32 crown a reason to reject?
Not necessarily a reason to reject. It's a different flavor though. Proportion sets with low crown angles will tend to favor brightness at the expense of fire. If you could post more info about the diamond you would get more feedback.

davej

Rough_Rock
GIA certificate with the following:
6.29x6.31x3.77
0.9 ct, SI1, exc cut, exc polish, exc symmetry, no fluorescence
feather, crystal
57% table
59.8% depth
40.8 pavilion
32 crown
no culet
girdle thin - slightly thick

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just think a low crown angle makes the stone look flat from the profile view. I don't find it as attractive as an ideal cut with the 34-35 crown angle and I like the balance of fire and brightness. I usually list those measurements (and the rest) for people buying online so that they will have an easy way to narrow down stones. It also helps them to be in a safe zone when buying without light return images.

If you have seen the diamond and prefer it, then certainly that is fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results