shape
carat
color
clarity

Knitting

April20

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, have you checked out KnitPicks.com? It's my favorite online yarn shop. They have great prices. I also have their metal interchangeable circular needles, which I love and we're very affordable. We have several LYS, but between time and cost, KP always seems to win for me.

MrsAkin

Rough_Rock
April20|1391035351|3603701 said:
MrsAkin, I am a sucker for cables! I love the sweater you made for your son. Do you happen to remember the pattern name? I made myself something somewhat similar cable wise a few years ago.

I'm so sorry for the late reply. My son had the worst week since his birth - I think my poor baby is teething. His schedule is all over the place and he cries with this high-pitched scream anytime I leave the room. Oh well, still crazy about the boy. :love:

Anyway, the pattern is "Gramps Cardigan" by Kate Oates. Here is the link to the website:

http://store.tottoppers.com/gramps-cardigan/

I also recall seeing an adult version on Ravelry. Hope this helps :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1391084674|3604087 said:
Gypsy, have you checked out KnitPicks.com? It's my favorite online yarn shop. They have great prices. I also have their metal interchangeable circular needles, which I love and we're very affordable. We have several LYS, but between time and cost, KP always seems to win for me.

Nice recommmendation! I see a lot of possibilities on there! Affordable ones too! Thank you!

MrsA-- I hope your baby feels better soon. Poor little guy. And poor momma too.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I have any issues with KP or their shop but there has been some drama with regards to their needles. Their harmony wood line was actually copied from a very small (but very VERY well made and I HIGHLY recommend) knitting needles from the dyak craft family.

If you plan on knitting I highly recommend their darn pretty line and am waiting the arrival again of their northern lights line. I got my darn pretty set for my birthday last year (well-I waited a long time for them lol) and the craftsmanship is incredible. I have a hard time knitting with anything else. The stoppers they have so you can change out the needle size-or to just shelf the project are amazing.

http://www.dyakcraft.com/wood.htm

I do my best to support locally owned artisans where every possible. I was gifted (when I first started) a set of the harmony wood straight and when I was looking at getting a circular set (the reviews had some issues with craftsman ship and also led me to the copy issue). The best I can explain on a diamond forum is the dyaks are handcrafted-each and every part-where the KP has mass produced their needles (specifically the harmony wood set) over seas. So similar to getting a SK or a LM or VC setting compared to a LOGR setting. And yes-the difference is THAT much.

April20

Ideal_Rock
MrsAkin|1391532356|3607696 said:
April20|1391035351|3603701 said:
MrsAkin, I am a sucker for cables! I love the sweater you made for your son. Do you happen to remember the pattern name? I made myself something somewhat similar cable wise a few years ago.

I'm so sorry for the late reply. My son had the worst week since his birth - I think my poor baby is teething. His schedule is all over the place and he cries with this high-pitched scream anytime I leave the room. Oh well, still crazy about the boy. :love:

Anyway, the pattern is "Gramps Cardigan" by Kate Oates. Here is the link to the website:

http://store.tottoppers.com/gramps-cardigan/

I also recall seeing an adult version on Ravelry. Hope this helps :wavey:

Thank you!!!! I totally want an adult size of that. It's not the first time that's happened to me. The last sweet sweater I knit for a friend's baby I ended up doing a version for myself later!

April20

Ideal_Rock
That moment when you ready to do the finish edging on the sweater you've been working on and off for a year and you realize you were supposed to begin with a provisional cast on...... And you used long tail....... Craaaaaaaaaaaap.

I can still make this work, right?!?

April20

Ideal_Rock
April20|1391968628|3611466 said:
That moment when you ready to do the finish edging on the sweater you've been working on and off for a year and you realize you were supposed to begin with a provisional cast on...... And you used long tail....... Craaaaaaaaaaaap.

I can still make this work, right?!?

I'm an idiot. I just re-read the direction they gave for the provisional cast on and I remember doing it! It was a different style than I normally use and it looked like a regular CO. Crisis averted!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. So it's been several months, but I am finally making A LITTLE progress on this.

So I took several pieces of advice you all offered, thank you.
I registered on Ravelry.

I have nice needles and some wool yarn that is the right weight for them on the way. Plus I bought 2 balls of acrylic in a worsted weight light color that are the right size for the needles, and there's a lot more of it at JoAnn and there are no dye lots to worry about, so I am going to use it for my first attempts.

I also went to my local yarn store. They had some lovely yarn. But the place staff was honestly unwelcoming and cold. And they do have lessons, but I don't think I really want to patronize that place.

So I asked for some referrals for lessons on Ravelry too. And I am hoping that works out better.

Until then though, as soon as the needles arrive and I'm going to use the acrylic and YouTube to see if I can figure out how to cast on, and learn some basic 'knit and purl". And using google to figure out some stuff. There's a lot of knitting information out there thankfully.

I also found 2 pattern for a blanket I want to try as my second projects (first being a simple scarf).
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dads-drop-stitch-throw
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-easy-throw-3

I need to find a nice beginning pattern for a scarf too. So I will do that.

I am going to try without a yarn bowl for now. If I need one (and I might) I will get one!

I'm really excited.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1391537749|3607746 said:
How many yards did you figure you'll need? Jimmy Bean's has that MadelineTosh Vintage in astrid gray in stock...

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitt...oshVintage.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=45820

ETA MadelineTosh is absolutely a dream to work with!

I am going to work up to expensive yarn, but this stuff has the best colors of any yarn I've seen. So I am definitely keeping it in my Pinterest board. Thank you VR!

So:
I am leaning very hard toward Malabrigo Rios for my blanket project. It has a nice amount of yardage for the price (13.50/hank), is soft and is also machine washable. I love all the variegated color options. http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-malabrigo/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-malabrigo-rios/?gclid=COGpz42hxcICFZSIfgoduIEAqA :love:

Alernately: http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Swish_Worsted_Yarn__D5420153.html This gets great review for being soft and machine washable. And the Dove Heather color is nice. But I don't love it as much as the Rios, though it is slightly more affordable.

I figured out I need 2200 yards for the blanket pattern I like.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey Gypsy! :D

The patterns look ok, if you friend me on Ravelry, I can do a few more searches for you :D When looking for patterns, I always look at people's projects to see how it really looks. I also tend to go to the free ones first (especially for the simple patterns)... :D I'm under the same username if you want to find me. :D :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi CS! I added you as a friend. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! =)

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1418587018|3801057 said:
Hi CS! I added you as a friend. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! =)

Friended you too! :D I also sent you a message with a few patterns. :D

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I learned to knit about 6 months ago. A friend and I took one class at a local shop to learn the basic stitch. I have made a few scarves and someday will graduate to more complicated stitches. I will say, as a beginner, yarn with a little stretch makes it easier. I did alpaca for my first scarf and am ridiculously proud of it. Good luck and have fun!

Eta: straight bamboo needles have been the easiest for me to use. Circular are tough as I have gone the wrong way a few times.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I thought I'd update since you have all been so wonderful and supportive.

I started to knit after Christmas. My husband got me cubics needles and some yarn for Christmas. Plus I got some cheap acrylic lion brand yarn for practice yarn. I did two practice projects. Then I 'graduated' to nicer wool yarn. And I realized how much nicer wool is to work with.

I did a scarf for my husband. I used Knitpicks Worsted Swish in Lost Lake Heather all Merino and and Machine washable. And it turned out really nice. Soft. But the short yardage balls add up. I wish they did large balls.

Then I wanted to learn how to do the Moss Stitch (same family as Seed Stitch). So I made an infinity scarf for my best friend in Malabrigo Twist colorway: Indiecita. I bought this at the LYS, and got to pick it by feel which was really nice.

That knit up super fast and was so much fun, I decided to do another, but in Madelinetosh Chunky Merino in Calligraphy. But even though its also a nice brand merino and lovely to knit with (seriously great to work with) it's not as soft. I'm in the middle of that and it looks really lovely, but I do wish it was softer.

And I'm also teaching myself increases and decreases so I can graduate to a V shawl for my next project, by learning this stitch, with my left over Knitpicks yarn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqz3XXAsD4

I also have some acrylic practice yarn I am going to us to practice the increase in a V shape, before I use the nice yarn I bought for the shawl. Fyberspates Scrumptious Aran - Cherry (401) Which is carried by my local yarn shop. It's half merino half silk and is the prettiest yarn I've ever seen and the red color is just the perfect ruby red: http://cdnl.paradisefibers.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8/3/833077-0001_1.jpg Plus its silky soft.

Once I've done that I think I'm going to learn to knit in the round and try a hat.

And I am developing a small stash. So... maybe a little more than small. I bought a plastic storage bin to store it in.
I'll post some pictures later. I'm not very good at taking them though. I am also learning how to read patterns. And about differernt fibers and yarns.

Overall, I am LOVING knitting. Seriously. Best thing I did for myself is this. Wish I had started sooner. :wavey:

Special thanks to Cozystitches who has been helping me on Ravelry. And its lovely to see PSers on Ravelry and become friends with them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opps, I meant to say that my husband's scarf was all seed stitch.

Oh, and regarding needles. I have two pairs of the cubics circular, and I really like working with them. They are 36 inch. I needed larger needles (10.5) for the Twist yarn, and I bought a pair of round needles, also wood, and circular at 24 inch. I don't like them nearly as much. I like having the extra length the 36 inch gives me, and the cubics needles are nice and sharp plus they are light for their strength, which I prefer. Only problem with them is the LYS doesn't carry them. So I am going to have to get another pair mail order.

Oh and buying yarn online, while fun, has been very miss and not so much hit. The colors on the screen just don't reflect the in person colors.

I have learned that I have to cross reference any yarn I am looking at for color across a couple different sites and also do a google images search to see if others have used it and what the finished product looks like. But even that isn't fool proof.

:wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAAAAAAY! I'm so glad you got started knitting, and that you're enjoying it! :appl: And that you've found a good local yarn store to explore in!

BTW I trust you also discovered that you can look up projects made with specific yarns in Ravelry? I think the function works better for yarn types than for colors, but it can be very helpful.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's one thing I love about Ravelry, the ability to look up projects. There have been several times when I don't like the pattern picture, but then have seen absolutely gorgeous projects that make me want to do that pattern. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results