shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Trends for Old Diamonds

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to consider Jimmianne is if you would like the contrast b/w the melee and your OEC or if that color difference (and sparkle difference) might bother you. If I were to do a halo setting I might choose to go with an engraved halo vs one with diamonds so as not to have a big change of color from halo to OEC. I know some here like that contrast but personally I don't as I feel it could make the OEC look off color if you kwim.

I get the sense you are open to all ideas so here are a few settings to check out.
First 3 are from Erika Winters. And the next 3 in my next post are from Caysie Van Bebber.

erika-winters-fine-jewelry-grace-solitaire-engagement-ring-face.jpg

erika-winters-victoria-solitaire-engagement-ring-face.jpg

erika-winters-design-helena-solitaire-face.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!!!
what wonderful images to wake up to. All very helpful, as I have gotten into the "just throw it in any old setting" frame of mind when I should really be patient and honor this gift of a beautiful diamond with a great setting.

Missy, too much. You are going to have this girl all dolled up. [edit] which is your favorite? [I love the eternity bands she shows too].

DS, I don't know what was going on with high price from the retailer. They are located in DC, but still ... :lol:
I'm tempted to write back to get the low-down.

Pyramid, I think the inclusion near the edge is a needle?, not a feather. It's such a straight line on the chart. I spent an hour last night with my 10x and couldn't see anything at all, so these things must be very very tiny. In any event, I plan to set it with 6 or 8 prongs or a bezel for safety and it will be insured. I'm so glad you pointed this out, as it is always good to have as much information as possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne! So thrilled for you! She's a real beauty. :love: :love: :love:
My favorite hmm tough question. I love the setting with the French sides but am also crazy about the middle one.

I hear you on wanting simple and classic though. Your OEC is a doll and sure doesn't need any extra help in that department haha.

She will be AMAZING in a solitaire but I think she would look amazing in any setting. :love:

Of course I'm partial to 8 prong plat vintage settings. :appl:

Enjoy the search. You found the most important piece of the puzzle so this part should be even more fun now...you can relax and enjoy your gorgeous OEC.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love french-cut stones! she has another - a 3-stone with one diagonally set french cut on each side. I could have her make it a solitaire ----even get f.c. kite [do they make those?] rubies or sapphires and just have a plain shank.
Ideas abound. One of each, please : )

Off to work - this is Too Much Fun!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Erika Winter's designs Missy posted, swoon! :love:

Jimmianne, I can't wait to see what you do! Exiting!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to go back through this thread and study everything. Caysie's designs are getting to me.
Meanwhile, I saw this pretty on eBay ... for an 11+mm stone :dance:
ott2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! But that seems more ornate than what you were looking for? However we are entitled to change our minds. Haha, It's something we PSers do from time to time. Even after we have the finished jewelry in (or on) hand :cheeky: ...so many delicious options. It's hard to choose just one!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1426110584|3845747 said:
little update: The SB quote for their plainest vintage setting was 7.5k
I thought that was a bit high.
My favorite local [perfectionist] craftsman said he would "duplicate" the design for around 2k. The design is fairly common in old rings, so i don't think there is a copyright issue and we would tweak it a bit anyway. I would trust him to do just that, but he would not be able to start work on it until the end of March.
So still looking and at least figuring out how much I want to spend.

nothing else to report, except the stone has officially found her home here with me! :appl:

That SB quote is crazy! I would check with another SB vendor to see what quote they give you. I was toying around with the idea of getting the SB halo that apacherose has, and in platinum it wasn't anywhere near $7500.

Either way, I can't wait to see what setting you decide on! Your OEC is amazing!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1426249089|3846537 said:
Pretty! But that seems more ornate than what you were looking for? However we are entitled to change our minds. Haha, It's something we PSers do from time to time. Even after we have the finished jewelry in (or on) hand :cheeky: ...so many delicious options. It's hard to choose just one!
Missy, With a setting like that I was thinking I wouldn't need a center stone :lol:
I think I'll just stick with Joy and a more modest home for her. What can I say? she loves the temporary ring holder.
Perhaps I'll talk her into something a bit fancier than that :appl:

ps. I wrote back to the DC jeweler about the SB and they confirmed the price - which is almost twice the quote I got from another source.
How can they get away with that - it seems crazy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It absolutely pays to compare prices..literally!!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS you ain't kiddin' !
With my Ritani halo there was quite a difference in quotes, I think it was $400 - however this quote discrepancy includes enough $$ for a nice pair of studs!

[off topic: oh - BTW - when I replaced the center stone in the RItani halo I had the petals milgrained as you suggested. It looks terrific].

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
I have personally seen the amazing Scholdt designs with Erica at LAD and if I had the $$$ I would set an OEC in one ( long story short 20 years ago, got proposed with an oval in a very similar setting from Poiray, Paris and to this day I regret not keeping the ring, I said no but I could have kept the ring :D ).

Anything that comes from Erica and her team is flawless. I have seen at least two dozen of her creations IRL ( believe me it is hard not to drool and run waway with one!) And phew, amazed each time even when the style is not my taste.
I think Erica works with Caysie BTW.
Also, you could totally have your ideas coming into one original setting via LAD or Caysie.
If you have a concern about the girdle, please make sure you have it protected: bezel, semi bezel or 8 prongs.

Missy that SS setting is to die for. I have a thing for galleries.

[In case you have not noticed, I am very partial to Erica; she is truly amazing and has the best customer service ever. She will take care of you as if you were a close friend. She will match you with what suits you, and just make a sale]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1426263344|3846637 said:
DS you ain't kiddin' !
With my Ritani halo there was quite a difference in quotes, I think it was $400 - however this quote discrepancy includes enough $$ for a nice pair of studs!

[off topic: oh - BTW - when I replaced the center stone in the RItani halo I had the petals milgrained as you suggested. It looks terrific].

I'll bet it is gorgeous!!!! :appl: What did you put in it????

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1426264587|3846652 said:
Jimmianne|1426263344|3846637 said:
DS you ain't kiddin' !

I'll bet it is gorgeous!!!! :appl: What did you put in it????

A nicely colored transitional from Fortekitty. I love the color with gold rings.
[My friend made the primitive band with gold accents].
I'm trying to figure out where to post these photos so Fortekitty will see how happy her stone is. brown2.jpg brown_0.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, that stone looks absolutely perfect and beautiful in that setting!!! Wow, did that work out well! :love: Love the addition of the milgrain too :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1426269134|3846697 said:
Jimmianne, that stone looks absolutely perfect and beautiful in that setting!!! Wow, did that work out well! :love: Love the addition of the milgrain too :appl:

Thank, Junebug, I'm pleased with the resulting look, and it appears to me as though the local bench did a great job with the milgrain.

I'm tempted to let him make the setting for my OEC since he is good, is so close by and we could work together in person. He uses a CAD program and then has the ring cast. Since this is an important stone to me [the OEC] should I have the setting hand built? Does it matter?
I am also considering Caysie's bench.
[Although I don't anticipate ever selling this OEC, one thought is that it might be practical to have a PS-known designer make the setting. :confused:]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love the Ritani ring make-over! :love: I would post the ring in Show Me the Bling! I will try to get a message to her to look if you do. The milgrain is just a fantastic addition and I love the color of the center stone!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1426308678|3846961 said:
Oh, I love the Ritani ring make-over! :love: I would post the ring in Show Me the Bling! I will try to get a message to her to look if you do. The milgrain is just a fantastic addition and I love the color of the center stone!!

Thanks, DS. We did a good job :) :)
I'll post on SMTB this morning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1426330328|3847024 said:

Wow, beautiful! I agree, you guys did a good job. :love: ForteKitty will be proud.
Looking forward to a SMTB thread for it. :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1426330667|3847025 said:
Jimmianne|1426330328|3847024 said:

Wow, beautiful! I agree, you guys did a good job. :love: ForteKitty will be proud.
Looking forward to a SMTB thread for it. :appl:
:wavey:
I think she will be. I just posted it...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-make-over-keeping-it-all-in-the-family.211482/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ritani-make-over-keeping-it-all-in-the-family.211482/[/URL]

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1426293715|3846904 said:
junebug17|1426269134|3846697 said:

Thank, Junebug, I'm pleased with the resulting look, and it appears to me as though the local bench did a great job with the milgrain.

I'm tempted to let him make the setting for my OEC since he is good, is so close by and we could work together in person. He uses a CAD program and then has the ring cast. Since this is an important stone to me [the OEC] should I have the setting hand built? Does it matter?
I am also considering Caysie's bench.
[Although I don't anticipate ever selling this OEC, one thought is that it might be practical to have a PS-known designer make the setting. :confused:]

Jimmianne, I'm probably not the best person to address this, I've never had a custom ring made and I am happy with a stock setting for my ering, and I'd be fine with cad/cast - I guess you will get varying opinions, I get the feeling some on PS think a hand forged ring is best for a special and important stone but of course not everyone feels that way - and a cad/cast ring doesn't make a ring less special IMHO. it boils down to personal preference and what a person considers important - and I don't think I'd worry about limiting yourself to PS vendors if you know someone who could make a setting you'd be happy with. I know this is a tough decision. I probably haven't helped, but at least I bumped this so maybe you'll get more input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results