shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline prices sky high all of the sudden...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw a .51ct Paraiba Tourmaline for $10,000 on one of Pricescope's "trusted vendors" website. How can that be? Other than fcd's, I can't think of another stone that's capable of commanding such a high ppc, especially one that's well below the 1 ct. mark.

The stone looks to be excellent, not the most saturated Paraiba I have ever seen, but the cut and clarity look to be way above average for this material. I hesitate to post a link to the stone because I don't want the vendor to feel as if I am insinuating they are gouging people. Is $20k a carat for a 1/2 ct. stone plausible? If so anybody want to buy my .25 ct Paraiba Tourmaline for $5k? :naughty:

:lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, high quality Brazilian Paraiba - in other words, the real deal - has been commanding prices of $20k/ct or more for a year or so now. Typically, as you indicated, the sub carat Brazilian stones, while still expensive, did not command the same ppc amount, but have been escalating. I guess people are thinking that with such brilliant color, a little goes a long way, and maybe buyers are willing to pay the price just to say they have a real Paraiba. Prices on high quality Mozambique and Nigerian material have been escalating as well. They don't command $20k/ct (I so wish!), but they aren't cheap!

ETA: At the time you bought yours, I remember thinking that I thought you were smart to have bought it and I still think you made an excellent move. You bought for the right reasons - you loved it!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Brazilian vendor offered Paraiba for 10K - small stones with a very good color - 0,35 navette SI-LI - 3500EUR in Munich Show 2013!!!

I bought a similar quality in Inhorgenta from a german vendor ( Idar-Oberstein) in 2009 - 0,24 ct for 425 pct !!!!! = 100 EUR!!!!

And I still get them for this price.... It is insane!!!

Don't buy such overpriced stones!!! A navette 0,35 ct is a nightmare for a jeweller to set!!

GregS:

Your neon turquoise and my neon bluish green would be a nice combo - lets sell themfor 12K here :wavey: :naughty:

( Ella - THIS IS A JOKE!!!!!!!)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can someone provide a link?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Marlow|1426198164|3846253 said:
Brazilian vendor offered Paraiba for 10K - small stones with a very good color - 0,35 navette SI-LI - 3500EUR in Munich Show 2013!!!

I bought a similar quality in Inhorgenta from a german vendor ( Idar-Oberstein) in 2009 - 0,24 ct for 425 pct !!!!! = 100 EUR!!!!

And I still get them for this price.... It is insane!!!

Don't buy such overpriced stones!!! A navette 0,35 ct is a nightmare for a jeweller to set!!

GregS:

Your neon turquoise and my neon bluish green would be a nice combo - lets sell themfor 12K here :wavey: :naughty:

( Ella - THIS IS A JOKE!!!!!!!)

What the heck is a navette? Is that like a small nativity? Tiny Jesus? :confused:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
a navette is a shape like a marquis.

I think Paraibas have always been sky high, they just keep raising the sky

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, sorry....

Yes a navette is a synonym for a marquise shape.

Think a high price for fine larger brazilian paraiba is o.k. - they are rare.

But 20K pct for 0,51 ct.....

Please post a link.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I know the one Greg is talking about. I don't think the colour is saturated enough for 20k/ct. In the video it's a little bit lighter too.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1426229455|3846486 said:
I know the one Greg is talking about. I don't think the colour is saturated enough for 20k/ct. In the video it's a little bit lighter too.

Please post a link ! :razz:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that price, I'd definitely want an origin report from AGL. However, vendors can charge what they want. The Asian market has made these stones skyrocket, as I heard they're even paying big bucks for mediocre material.

I believe I know the stone you're talking about, and it only comes with an in house appraisal. The vendor is very trustworthy, but still, I would want an AGL origin report.

To be fair as well, he has a lot of really affordable paraibas, although they're mostly included cabs.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
They are a very reputable vendor, I only dealt with them once and it was to return a Paraiba Cab., they handled it extremely well. I'd buy from them again. Posting a link under the context of this thread would be distasteful at best. However I was shocked to see that price for a .51 ct. stone, that stone is only worth a small fraction of that price to me, but somebody else may feel differently.

S

SparkliesLuver

GregS said:
They are a very reputable vendor, I only dealt with them once and it was to return a Paraiba Cab., they handled it extremely well. I'd buy from them again. Posting a link under the context of this thread would be distasteful at best. However I was shocked to see that price for a .51 ct. stone, that stone is only worth a small fraction of that price to me, but somebody else may feel differently.

+1

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
GregS|1426257318|3846597 said:
Thanks for the hint. I would not buy it. While I understand that Paraiba is rare, that specimen does not have the color to support that kind of price. Rarity is one thing, but something that expensive should knock me out visually, and that does not do it for me.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
GregS|1426257318|3846597 said:

I understand and this is absolutely o.k.! :appl:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
GregS|1426196730|3846240 said:
I just saw a .51ct Paraiba Tourmaline for $10,000 on one of Pricescope's "trusted vendors" website. How can that be? Other than fcd's, I can't think of another stone that's capable of commanding such a high ppc, especially one that's well below the 1 ct. mark.

The stone looks to be excellent, not the most saturated Paraiba I have ever seen, but the cut and clarity look to be way above average for this material. I hesitate to post a link to the stone because I don't want the vendor to feel as if I am insinuating they are gouging people. Is $20k a carat for a 1/2 ct. stone plausible? If so anybody want to buy my .25 ct Paraiba Tourmaline for $5k? :naughty:

Diamonds are not scarce, they are simply carefully controlled and ingeniously marketed by a cartel.
Paraiba tourmalines are scarce, even small ones.
Perhaps the seller may consider this stone an investment stone and doesn't care if he sells it or not; recognizing the low probability of finding another one anytime soon?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PieAreSquared|1426268315|3846681 said:
GregS|1426196730|3846240 said:

Diamonds are not scarce, they are simply carefully controlled and ingeniously marketed by a cartel.
Paraiba tourmalines are scarce, even small ones.
Perhaps the seller may consider this stone an investment stone and doesn't care if he sells it or not; recognizing the low probability of finding another one anytime soon?

While I agree that white diamonds are not that rare, especially in sub carat sizes, fancy colored diamonds (fcds) can be extremely rare in certain hues.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed ALLLL the really good colored stones are going up in price. :rolleyes:

It's kind of sucking the fun out of the hobby for me. I have an unheated ruby, an untreated emerald, and an untreated blue sapphire (all checked by AGL) and I didn't pay more than $600 for any one of them. Granted, they're all right at the 1 carat mark, but the 1 carat untreated rubies are easily $3000+ per carat now.

Those were the good old days . . . :nono:

It'll only get worse as the years go by.

I wanted a large sapphire (at least 8 x 10, untreated) and it occurred to me that the prices I was looking at were fast approaching diamond prices ($8000 - $10,000) :shock: So I said the heck with it an bought a diamond instead. It was also easier than finding a great CS. :|

ETA: Bolded that to indicate that I've been a dedicated colored stones person, and it's got to be pretty bad for me to give up and go to a diamond.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1426372925|3847276 said:
ETA: Bolded that to indicate that I've been a dedicated colored stones person, and it's got to be pretty bad for me to give up and go to a diamond.
This made me smile. :twirl:

I also remember a few years ago when this forum was so busy that the new topics would clear out the first page of the forum daily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results