shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watched a couple of enjoyable movies on Netflix this past weekend.

A Five Star Life

The Matchmaker

Price Check

The Big Picture

I think I probably already recommended this movie but it is so worth watching so I am going to recommend it again just in case someone might be interested who missed the rec the first time.

Incendies from 2010...it's not available on streaming but I believe it is available through the dvd part of netflix or perhaps Amazon. We caught this on PPV last year and it is a wonderful movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/incendies

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1422748003|3825217 said:
I think it is on Hulu but Zoe, "Stella" is very cute. You may like it.

Thanks, I'll check it out. :wavey:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I just found the mother lode of Star Trek, old ones, new ones, and movies, too!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG the movies are on there too????? I watched all ST TNG a couple years ago, took me like 7 months to get thru them all. I didn't know the movies were on there too tho! Woo hoo guess what I'm looking up!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
The movie "Holes" is on Netflix, too. It has Shia LaBeouf, Henry Winkler, Patricia Arquette, Sigourney Weaver, and Dule' Hill (he's in Psych and West Wing...say, I think that's on Netflix, too!)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
This is so Awesome !!! THANKS for this thread !!!
I am always hoping I can find something to cure my Breaking Bad blues (now that it's over... :((

I LOVED The Killing, partly because of the setting (Supposed to be Seattle although it wasn't filmed there.,,,)
but by the end of the series I just wanted to kind of shake those 2 main characters....

I just finished Sherlock and I liked it...
Now I'm on to Dexter which I had never seen and am enjoying.

I watched Orange is the New Black.
Couldn't get into Peaky Blinders.

Missy, I LOVED Lars and the Real Girl !!!! ("call 911") OMG !!!
and HAROLD AND MAUDE !!! AND SEVEN !!!!
may need to rewatch :appl: :appl: :appl:

also if anyone has Prime and hasn't seen The Vikings..... my hubs and I both love that one...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
PattyCo|1422848537|3825783 said:
I also did a search for "HGTV" and came up with these other shows, "Buying and Selling New York", "Holmes Inspection Collection", "Property Brothers", "Cousins on Call", "Love it or List It", "House Hunters Collection", "Flea Market Flip", "Income Property", "Buying and Selling with the Property Brothers", and "The Brian Bointano Project".
They also have a lot of episodes on their website.
http://www.hgtv.com/shows/full-episodes

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1423227159|3828229 said:
I am always hoping I can find something to cure my Breaking Bad blues (now that it's over... :((

I LOVED The Killing, partly because of the setting (Supposed to be Seattle although it wasn't filmed there.,,,)
but by the end of the series I just wanted to kind of shake those 2 main characters....

also if anyone has Prime and hasn't seen The Vikings..... my hubs and I both love that one...

Ooh I am so glad you loved Lars and the Real Girl too. I haven't found many IRL who have seen that movie and I thought it a good find. Very entertaining. And I agree I need to rewatch that and Harold and Maude too. Haha call 911!!! :bigsmile:

I haven't heard of The Vikings so I will check that out as we do have Prime. Thanks for the rec. I loved Dexter except for the very gory parts for which I looked away and checked on PS during the too bloody scenes. I have an aversion to violence and blood but will watch good shows that have them though I cannot watch the violence so I just look away during those parts. Dexter is worth watching and glad you are enjoying that.

If you haven't watched the series Surface I recommend it. I found it very enjoyable though I think there is only one season (15 episodes).

I hope everyone reading this thread has watched Gilmore Girls. One of my favorite series. Though everyone's taste is different so cannot guarantee you will enjoy it but we really love this series.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1423229303|3828244 said:

Ooh I am so glad you loved Lars and the Real Girl too. I haven't found many IRL who have seen that movie and I thought it a good find. Very entertaining. And I agree I need to rewatch that and Harold and Maude too. Haha call 911!!! :bigsmile:

I haven't heard of The Vikings so I will check that out as we do have Prime. Thanks for the rec. I loved Dexter except for the very gory parts for which I looked away and checked on PS during the too bloody scenes. I have an aversion to violence and blood but will watch good shows that have them though I cannot watch the violence so I just look away during those parts. Dexter is worth watching and glad you are enjoying that.

If you haven't watched the series Surface I recommend it. I found it very enjoyable though I think there is only one season (15 episodes).

I hope everyone reading this thread has watched Gilmore Girls. One of my favorite series. Though everyone's taste is different so cannot guarantee you will enjoy it but we really love this series.

Funny you wrote this, because I can't stand Gilmore Girls, but I know many who love it. My friend and I used to have a running joke when it was on TV because she was obsessed, and I couldn't stand it at all.

I have my fingers crossed they will bring Judging Amy to Netflix though. That was my favourite show around that time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1423231504|3828255 said:

Funny you wrote this, because I can't stand Gilmore Girls, but I know many who love it. My friend and I used to have a running joke when it was on TV because she was obsessed, and I couldn't stand it at all.

I have my fingers crossed they will bring Judging Amy to Netflix though. That was my favourite show around that time.

Haha I totally get that. It's one of those shows. You usually either love it or hate it which is why I had that disclaimer that everyone has different taste. Haha I am still trying to get my physical therapist and his wife to check it out.

I enjoyed Judging Amy too. I didn't know they might be bringing that to netflix. That would be great because my memory is poor so it's like I am watching some of these shows for the first time and enjoying them all over again. As my dh says. I'm a cheap date lol.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1423231836|3828258 said:
blackprophet|1423231504|3828255 said:

Haha I totally get that. It's one of those shows. You usually either love it or hate it which is why I had that disclaimer that everyone has different taste. Haha I am still trying to get my physical therapist and his wife to check it out.

I enjoyed Judging Amy too. I didn't know they might be bringing that to netflix. That would be great because my memory is poor so it's like I am watching some of these shows for the first time and enjoying them all over again. As my dh says. I'm a cheap date lol.

They haven't said anything about bringing it to netflix. That is just my own personal dream lol.
Don't want to get your hopes up. :mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late lol. Maybe we should start a campaign bring Judging Amy to neftlix...PSers have spoken! :cheeky:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Karl_K|1423227798|3828233 said:
PattyCo|1422848537|3825783 said:
I also did a search for "HGTV" and came up with these other shows, "Buying and Selling New York", "Holmes Inspection Collection", "Property Brothers", "Cousins on Call", "Love it or List It", "House Hunters Collection", "Flea Market Flip", "Income Property", "Buying and Selling with the Property Brothers", and "The Brian Bointano Project".
They also have a lot of episodes on their website.
http://www.hgtv.com/shows/full-episodes

I loved hgtv.com once upon a time. But, HGTV.com has really pared down their video choices compared to what it was. They used to have all the episodes of all their shows like, Design Star, Myles of Style, Divine Design, Holmes on Homes, Antonio Treatment, Curb Appeal, Design to Sell, Cash and Cari, Yard Crashers, Design on a Dime...its so sad they are gone now :(( Now-a-days it seems like such slim pickens its not even worth typing in "HGTV.com" into my computer. Hopefully they will keep adding to what's available on Netflix.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1423233109|3828271 said:
Too late lol. Maybe we should start a campaign bring Judging Amy to neftlix...PSers have spoken! :cheeky:

I'm in!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Oh also In Your Eyes

I thought a very interesting concept and well done movie.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot remember if I recommended these Netflix movies yet but just in case:

Last Love with Michael Caine

A Secret (french film)

Ira and Abby (neurotic love)

The Kite Runner

You should avoid at all costs The Langoliers by Stephen King. Awful IMO.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Loved, loved Last Tango In Halifax we are eagerly awaiting #3 and read there will be a #4.
Happy Valley is a 6 part series with the same actress and creator. It is a police drama set in the same area of England. I hope they do more. We keep watching for season #2 of The 100. The end of #2 is playing in the US right now but had already started when we found it on Netflix. It is set in the future and begins with 100 teenagers sent to the earth to see if they can survive after a global nuclear war.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Stayed up until 5:30am watching season 3 of Last Tango on youtube. The quality wasn't very good but I couldn't stop until I saw all 6 episodes. Bosch on Amazon Prime was terrific I hope they do more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watched The House at the End of Time (La Casa Del Fin De Los Tiempos) last night on Netflix. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend it. I don't want to give anything away but it is worth watching IMO. And another good movie if you haven't seen it now that I am recommending this genre is Pan's Labyrinth. However that is not on Netflix streaming unfortunately.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80009209

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Finished Scott and Bailey--and I might move onto Last Tango in Halifax. I need a distraction while exercising!

PS: Vikings is entertaining. And we enjoyed Marco Polo.

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We recently changed over to american netflix, and I'm so disapointed that there is only season 1 of the 100! Canadian netflix is nearing the end of season 2 :( Gonna have to download the rest of the season once it finishes.

Anyways, I've almost finished watching Friends. There are only a handful of episodes left, and I'm saving them because I'm going to be sad when it's over haha. Also watched Melancholia the other day...very weird. I had to read a few discussions about it to understand it, and tbh, I'm not sure I do yet. Also watched the movie Chef, and being foodies, we were glad we ate BEFORE watching it. So much delicious food! And like, 25 famous actors in it.

Another show we've been watching is 'An idiot abroad'. It's pretty entertaining, but I find the guy SO rude sometimes. On season 2 now.

Also tried watching 'the fall'. Only on episode 2, but I'm finding it a bit slow. I always find these sorts of shows slow at first (dexter, the killing) and they get you hooked a few eps in.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1425904763|3844210 said:
We watched The House at the End of Time (La Casa Del Fin De Los Tiempos) last night on Netflix. Very enjoyable and I highly recommend it. I don't want to give anything away but it is worth watching IMO. And another good movie if you haven't seen it now that I am recommending this genre is Pan's Labyrinth. However that is not on Netflix streaming unfortunately.

I will check that one out. We borrowed Pan's Labyrinth from my parents but JD didn't want to watch it so I will have to get it back from them.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
MadMen TV series

Blackfish (documentary)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1425927249|3844410 said:
missy|1425904763|3844210 said:

I will check that one out. We borrowed Pan's Labyrinth from my parents but JD didn't want to watch it so I will have to get it back from them.

I hope you enjoy the movies Packrat. Pan's Labyrinth was really good and it has been a while since I saw it in the movies so now I am going to see if it is available on cable because I want to see it again. And The House at the End of Time was also worth watching. Hope you enjoy them!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anyone watch Portlandia? VERY silly. :lol:

cheers--Sharon

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished the L Word. Great show, lacklustre ending.

Any one have a good suggestion for a police procedural? I love Numb3rs and Criminal Minds to give an idea of my interests.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1426101804|3845679 said:

Any one have a good suggestion for a police procedural? I love Numb3rs and Criminal Minds to give an idea of my interests.

Some of the shows mentioned might be good to check out -- Happy Valley, The Fall, and Scott and Bailey are three that came to mind. Then there's always the million and one versions of CSI, SVU (Law and Order: Special Victims Unit), and NCIS. Maybe Sherlock and/or The Closer?

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1426154000|3845952 said:
blackprophet|1426101804|3845679 said:

Some of the shows mentioned might be good to check out -- Happy Valley, The Fall, and Scott and Bailey are three that came to mind. Then there's always the million and one versions of CSI, SVU (Law and Order: Special Victims Unit), and NCIS. Maybe Sherlock and/or The Closer?

I watched the first episode of the killing yesterday, but you said The Fall! LOL, THe killing was really interesting

I'll check out the fall too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to put in another plug for Doc Martin. :wavey:

A cranky London surgeon develops a fear of blood and decides to become a cranky GP for a small English seaside village in Cornwall. The characters are very odd and funny and the scenery is beautiful. It's family-friendly (a few injury scenes are kinda gross) without any overly offensive plots. It's oddly compelling and you just want to keep watching it. Well paced it doesn't drag. Watch it from the beginning to get the full backstory on the eccentrics.

If you liked House (another cranky doctor) but thought it was dark, this is kind of like that but much lighter. It's a dramedy, without a laugh track.

Love the scenery too! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results