carat
color
clarity

When sizing up--what is realistic?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

"Looking" a platinum ring--it is too small for me. Solitaire (Tiffany).

I would need app 1.25 size larger, as the current ring is a size 5. Is this possible-- without any issues--or not advisable? Also, I have never taken any Estate pieces to Tiffany to service--will they resize a ring without a problem?

cheers--Sharon

jschwick1

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I've had a ring sized up that much in gold before. They added a little bar of gold to the band and it blended perfectly when they finished. I imagine platinum would be done in a similar way. Not too sure but just wanted to share my experience. Good luck!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would never say Tiffany isn't a problem when dealing with 2nd hand pieces but, theoretically, they'll size their own things for free. How much trouble it is depends on which design we're talking about and the overall condition of the piece. Most are pretty easy. The 'stock' size is 6 1/2, so it's probably been sized down already. That makes going back up easier.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Just to give you an idea of price- I recently took my 3mm gold band at tiffany to be sized up 1/2 size and they were going to charge $150. In the end, they stretched it ever so slightly and that worked.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, I don't have experience with Tiffany but I had to size a Cartier ring a few years ago and Cartier was able to size it from a size 3.75/4 (around there I think-my mom has tiny fingers unlike my huge ones LOL) to a size 6. They charged me a pretty penny (not sure but $350 rings a bell with me though I think they originally quoted me way more than that ($600 maybe I have such a poor memory for these things...) but then honored a mistake they made with the pricing and gave it to me for the lower amount of $350) but it was my black opal ring so those are very delicate and probably more challenging to size because of the fragility of the black opal. They also made me prove we got it at Cartier and I had to bring the papers and ownership proof that we (my family) were the original owners. I don't know if Tiffany is so strict or if you are planning on resizing it there anyway but just fyi.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thank you all for your replies!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1426069265|3845431 said:
Sharon, I don't have experience with Tiffany but I had to size a Cartier ring a few years ago and Cartier was able to size it from a size 3.75/4 (around there I think-my mom has tiny fingers unlike my huge ones LOL) to a size 6. They charged me a pretty penny (not sure but $350 rings a bell with me though I think they originally quoted me way more than that ($600 maybe I have such a poor memory for these things...) but then honored a mistake they made with the pricing and gave it to me for the lower amount of $350) but it was my black opal ring so those are very delicate and probably more challenging to size because of the fragility of the black opal. They also made me prove we got it at Cartier and I had to bring the papers and ownership proof that we (my family) were the original owners. I don't know if Tiffany is so strict or if you are planning on resizing it there anyway but just fyi.
HI Missy:

I suspect they protected the integrity of the markings on the shank? :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results