shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier trinity ring: should I dip?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I got my Cartier trinity preloved and unofficially "authenticated" via another forum which was good enough for me...(pics to come).. and after wearing it for a couple weeks straight, I am getting a bit annoyed with how all 3 gold colors look pretty much the same. I think you would have to KNOW that it is tri colored in order to see a hint of a difference. Even the WG is getting really warm!

Is this normal? even for the white gold?I have seen in other threads where people have said that the RG and YG look blended but mine includes the WG :???:

So I am seriously considering getting the WG rhodium plated and the other two I guess dipped in their respective colors.

Would this be an acceptable solution? What would be your suggestions?

Thanks!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I had a tri color rolling ring {NOT the original} and soon after wearing the rose and yellow gold blended into one dull color. I ended up selling it. Maybe body chemistry is the cause?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would say not normal. I've worn mine every day for five years and the colors are still distinct.

I do think dipping could work as a short term solution. Not sure how long it would last though.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hmm... since it was preloved, perhaps the person who wore it before me had a certain body chemistry causing the change of color faster than usual...I know my husband has that and turns YG in an instant! We had his 18k wedding band rhodium plated multiple times and it was just getting to annoying to always getting it done....i got him a platinum band recently and no change of color!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fi Z|1426035783|3845273 said:
hmm... since it was preloved, perhaps the person who wore it before me had a certain body chemistry causing the change of color faster than usual...I know my husband has that and turns YG in an instant! We had his 18k wedding band rhodium plated multiple times and it was just getting to annoying to always getting it done....i got him a platinum band recently and no change of color!

You're not alone. My rg and yg blended in no time. Wg is not too distinct too but at least it stands out from the other 2 colors. If you have intention to sell, it's best not to dip them as Cartier 3 gold colors in trinity are soft (meaning they don't look too distinct to begin with). Potential buyers might worry about its authenticity if the colors are different from the usual cartier gold colors. If you have intention to wear them for quite a while before resale, it's ok to dip as the dip colors would have worn off by then. If you don't intend to sell, then a dip would be alright.

Edit: I forgot what I did with my ring when I was typing the above. I just remember it. I sent my trinity for a professional polish with cartier, not the polish with cloth type, and the gold colors came back distinct again. They told me only polish and no dipping when I asked after seeing the distinct colors in my newly polished ring. Hope this helps :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't do it because then it will not look like the original trinity that you fell in love with...unless you don't mind it looking different from the other Cartier trinity rings and of course it is whatever your personal preference is. I like thecat's suggestion of polishing it first and seeing if that helps with making the different golds more distinct in appearance.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the polishing idea. I had mine professionally polished and the colours of gold are much more distinct again.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I am taking this issue seriously and I really don't want to compromise on the original ring in a sense that
I want to keep its original appearance as much as possible. I called the jeweler and he at first suggested polishing, so I might start there. A plating is possible but he says he needs to see it first...and that would take 10 days which I find SO LONG! I really hate leaving my "babies" behind...I really don't like it!! If I had a polishing cloth, I probably would have started with that...maybe they could try that on the spot...hopefully they have those there and he could give the ring a good rub while I watch. We will see! Even though I need to almost squint to see the 3 gold colors, I still love my ring! ;-)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have the cartier brand but I have been wearing a diamond rolling band daily for two years. All three colors are distinct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results