shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Trends for Old Diamonds

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to do something a little bit different when I seal the deal on my OEC. I love all the vintage settings I've seen on PS and may choose to go vintage, but is there anything new in setting trends for old diamonds?

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Mayk said:
I think Erika Winter's new line is stunning and different!

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/erika-winters-bridal

And BE has some really pretty settings! I've done three projects with Chris. Very easy to work with.

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/royal-chandelier-vintage-pcid-44.html

I agree with both of these! Erika's line is stunning and BE had made some wonderful settings.

Also, Sébastien Barier makes amazing vintage inspired settings. I love apacherose's halo.
http://www.sebastienbarier.com/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love many of the choices above especially Erika Winter's new line and I am going to add another recommendation. Caysie Van Bebber. Her work is stunning. Jimmianne, I definitely think you should peruse her website and see for yourself. She makes such gorgeous pieces and beautiful unique settings. :love:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CVBinspiredDesign

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love some of Caysie's settings as well. The trends are either juxtaposing an old cut in a modern setting (like a halo with modern cut melee) or something sleek and elegant, crisp and modern or settings reverting back to gloriously deco details with 8 prongs, French cut sides or Antique halos or ornate sides. I am sure whatever you choose will be beautiful.

I love this;

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-anne-solitaire/

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great question! I'm definitely seeing a lot of interest in more modern settings - simple, sleek and sexy. Bezels are gaining in popularity, for sure. Fewer people asking for "barely there" delicate wispy halos - the halos are getting more substantial, incorporating more unique halo shapes. Full custom settings are also gaining ground, creating new and unique bespoke pieces - people are more confident in their ability to collaborate with jewelers on custom designs. A lot more solitaires than halos, I've noticed, and the french cut trend is still going strong. Vintage repros remain popular as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love period settings for antique stones, personally! I love putting them in the style settings that would have been on them originally! I think that is the most timeless option.

My favorites for antique style settings are Caysie Van Bebber of CVB Inspired Design and Van Craeynest, which are die stuck from original dies of the period they were first made and hand carved and finished. I also love the french cut shank rings by Victor Canera and Love Affair Diamonds Elisabeth (made by CVB) with the french cut shank! I just have had trouble committing to one forever setting because I like a lot of different ones!!!! :twirl:

https://www.facebook.com/cvbinspired

http://www.vancraeynest.com/

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-elisabeth-solitaire/

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-sophia-solitaire-with-canera-eruopean-round

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! lots to look at.
I love the Sebastian Barier simple solitaire.
and...I love everything else too!
One thing that simply stops me in my tracks is a vintage setting with colored stones. Still dreaming of DS's MB pink side stones - loving that look has been a constant since day one.

I wrote to SB for more info, and to Caysie to find out what the turn-around time is these days.

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock
I couldn't agree more that Caysie (CVB Inspired Designs) is doing amazing things and is who I'd go with for this sort of project!! Her creativity and work is incredible and she is a great person who will make you feel the like her only/best client!! There are some great posts on her about her and her work....definitely check her out!!

Here are some pics from her FB page of some of her recent projects....and these photos do not do these pieces justice!! :appl: :love:

**edited by moderator, please see our policies for this forum**

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne said:
WOW! lots to look at.
One thing that simply stops me in my tracks is a vintage setting with colored stones. Still dreaming of DS's MB pink side stones - loving that look has been a constant since day one.

I wrote to SB for more info, and to Caysie to find out what the turn-around time is these days.
For SB, I believe you need go go through a jeweler who carries his line. I know that 66mint and Jewels by Grace carry his settings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1425938852|3844509 said:
WOW! lots to look at.

Aww, that is so sweet of you to say! I, too, fell in love with M. Beaudry long ago when I first saw the settings on Pearlman's site! I would have never guessed that years later I would be so fortunate to get some of the settings when they discontinued the line. The one with the pink kite sapphires and asscher diamond is my favorite, too!

We are fortunate to have some great choices for settings! I forgot to say earlier that I do love asschergirl, apacherose, and artnouveau's gorgeous SB settings, too!

I'll be interested to see what you decide, Jimmianne!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Armywife - thanks!
That helps. I've been in touch with SB and they told me the closest retailer is 6 hours away, so it's good to know that there are even better contacts here.

DS, I actually go back to Pearlman's website now & then to see if they've discovered any more MB's with pink kites in their back room :lol:

Well, a lot to consider and dream about. My OEC arrives tomorrow and hopefully will choose me as its new owner. If it's a "match", the setting quest will be underway post haste!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting!!!! :appl: I hope you will show us some pics!!!

(ah, you even remembered my story of incredible luck!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my goodness, Jimmianne, I just saw you had asked me for my opinion on that warm colored diamond thread!!! I did answer even though it is a little late! Sorry about that!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1425960023|3844711 said:
Oh, my goodness, Jimmianne, I just saw you had asked me for my opinion on that warm colored diamond thread!!! I did answer even though it is a little late! Sorry about that!
I was trying to be subtle :lol:
Next time you will get one of those "CALLING DS!!!" threads.

You were right about that OEC. It was quite wonderful - the whole diamond looked like a glowing glittering flower. I have amazing photos of it and came very close to keeping it. That 1% of doubt crept in because although it knocked my socks off I really had hungered for a slightly more rustic stone. I hope a PSer buys the L - it would be a good diamond to keep in the family.

OEC #2 will be arriving here within the next 5 hours-it looks promising! :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more. I think I'm getting better at this. abc_9.jpg

I need a setting ASAP!
The turn around time is very long for many of the people I've contacted. Maybe has to do with Spring.
That age old dilemma - now that I have the stone I don't want to send it anywhere. Just want it [miraculously] in a setting! [today]

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!!! It is very hard to have to part with a diamond for setting! Good luck deciding because it is a tough decision!!!!!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Notice the feather breaks on both the crown, girdle and pavilion, may need to check with an independent appraiser that this is not on the extremely thin part of the girdle. I know it is VS1 but as it is an old stone I would check if it has been damaged further in this area.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
little update: The SB quote for their plainest vintage setting was 7.5k
I thought that was a bit high.
My favorite local [perfectionist] craftsman said he would "duplicate" the design for around 2k. The design is fairly common in old rings, so i don't think there is a copyright issue and we would tweak it a bit anyway. I would trust him to do just that, but he would not be able to start work on it until the end of March.
So still looking and at least figuring out how much I want to spend.

nothing else to report, except the stone has officially found her home here with me! :appl:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought of Gordon Clark for vintage looking settings?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1426110584|3845747 said:
My favorite local [perfectionist] craftsman said he would "duplicate" the design for around 2k. The design is fairly common in old rings, so i don't think there is a copyright issue and we would tweak it a bit anyway. I would trust him to do just that, but he would not be able to start work on it until the end of March.

nothing else to report, except the stone has officially found her home here with me! :appl:

When I first got mine I put it in a temporary setting while I was looking. That way I could enjoy it and really take my time. Just an idea if you are dying to wear it! Which I was!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nektgen|1426118015|3845813 said:
what i always to concern is price
me too!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do know the feather on the crown is the same one as on the pavilion, the two drawings join up. The pavilion chart on the report folds back under the crown chart like its upon a hinge, so the right side pavilion is underneath the left side crown.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid, you are very kind to point this out. Thank you!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone. I complete;y relate to the "wanting it now" feeling. I'm also contemplating a custom mount & trying to figure out exactly what I want vs. what is already being offered by the different vendors & designers. I'm not sure how vintage I want to go. The old stones look quite at home in their vintage settings, but this isn't 1920 anymore. LOL I also want to bring it up to speed in our present century. The trick is how to tweak the designs to reflect that. Adding milgrain makes it look a bit vintagy in my opinion. LOL I'll be following your thread with interest. Then again, the stone I bought is already in a setting & I might just leave well enough alone till I figure it out. Might save me quite a bit of money too. LOL

Judy

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1426110584|3845747 said:

What??? $7500 for the most simple vintage setting??? Umm, I don't think so! Was it one on the SB site? I do like his solitaires but the more elaborate halos must be astronomical at this point if a fairly simple solitaire is $7500. I am sure you know that CVB has done a setting very similar to his halo setting and I thought the bench did a terrific job with the details. I am very curious who your local person is and am very interested to see how he does if he does the work. I think we are in the same state and I have no one I trust to do any benchwork whatsoever.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results