shape
carat
color
clarity

1920's ArtDeco Old European Emerald Cut?

finnrose

Rough_Rock
Someone in the antique jewelry forum said I should post this here to get more opinions.

This is my engagement ring. I picked it out with my fiancé. He has hidden it from me so I can't take additional photos right now but was hoping to get your opinion on the cut. It looks like a cross between and old miner and an emerald cut. It's .85 cts G in color and VS2 in clarity. The seller could not identify the cut calling it an "old European emerald cut". She stated she had never seen anything like it before. It seems to have the shape of an Emerald cut but the side facets are not flat like an Emerald but have multiple facest like a rose or old mine cut.

I would love some insight if anyone has an idea. Thank you!!

image_3123.jpg

image_3122.jpg

image_3131.jpg

image_3132.jpg

image_3133.jpg

image_3125.jpg

image_3127.jpg

image_3129.jpg
image_3135.jpg

finnrose

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the compliment! And yes, that does look like a very similar cut. I think we are getting closer! :)

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
really tough to tell based on those pictures. does the setting have a "foil backed" design? Seems a little odd that with such a large window diamond that it would be so reflective at all angles. My initial thought was rose cut but I would want to see more pictures, specifically from the side profile capturing the pavilion portion.

finnrose

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response!

No foiling. Or maybe I don't know what that is. Eek. These are the only other photos I have at this time...

image_3136.jpg
image_3137.jpg

image_3140.jpg
image_3141.jpg

finnrose

Rough_Rock
I know for sure there is no foil on the back of the diamond.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful ring!! And a very interesting center - it appears to be a cross between a cushion and a rose cut.

I love pieces like this - unique and really one-of-a-kind :love:

Wear in love and happiness!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like an early Rose cut hybrid to me too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely ring! Just be sure you treat it with extra special TLC because emeralds are really not great for daily wear rings. Just take it off when doing anything that could cause wear and tear, and be sure you read about cleaning of emeralds. They should not be cleaned in an ultrasonic or with steam.

http://www.gia.edu/emerald-care-cleaning

MixedPeel

Rough_Rock
I'll chime in with the I don't know what cut it is but I do know it's a beautiful ring. Gorgeous! Please post more photos when you receive it and with your wedding ring.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd call it a mixed cushion cut or a square cushion cut ... maybe a late table cut. I have a not dissimilar stone in a not dissimilar setting, with slightly more traditional faceting, and I spent a while looking for "cousins" and only managed to locate a few ... they were never very common, alas. Yours is beautiful! I don't see much in common with a rose cut (they have no tables and are faceted to points across their tops, also, almost always round), but I wouldn't be surprised if it it happened to be their contemporary ....

eirwen

Rough_Rock
I had my eye on this ring :) it's gorgeous...

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooo beautiful :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results