shape
carat
color
clarity

What's So Hard About a WHITE Shirt?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, what's so hard? The classic button down white shirt that looks like quality and will last.

All I seem to find in the stores are see-through shirts (no, I don't want the world to see my bra) and absurd fits. They seem to be very tight or very tunic-like. I'm a pretty true size 6, but this seems to be an unfindable item! :wall:

I prefer a cotton, slightly fitted, decent quality. You know, what MEN BUY ALL THE TIME! :(

Please make suggestions . . .

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I can't help. I had a couple of really great ones some years ago but can't find any now. I also sort of gave up because I always end up with tea or coffee spills...

I think I got them at Macy's but it could have been Penny's.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got so fed up of trying to find clothing that fits me properly I have them made for me instead.

For shirts, I would recommend http://www.mytailor.com/

DK :))

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Agnes B
La Perla
I would add Sao but Im not sure if she is still around; the store on Wooster street is closed:
http://www.saonewyork.com/collection/
Equipment
Brooks Brothers
Banana Republik
jCrew
LL Cool Bean
Talbot's
Chico's
Costume National

Obviously this list is in descending order of cool

I can never find a white shirt, because I dont have one, unless you mean T-shirt.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Just want to add, I have shirts and sweaters from Agnes B. that I've had for 20 years. They still look good as new, and I wear them often.
To me quality has always been the criterion for classic.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It is difficult to find a great white shirt! Who knew??

My all time favorite white shirt is made by Etro. It is a staple.

I also like white shirts by Gucci, Dolce and Prada (and Miu Miu). That said, styles change by season hence and depending on that you might not like the collar or cuff.....but the fabric and tailoring is always there. Gap and Talbots have also worked.

cheers--Sharon

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brooks Brothers.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
Agnes B
La Perla
I would add Sao but Im not sure if she is still around; the store on Wooster street is closed:
Equipment
Brooks Brothers
Banana Republik
jCrew
LL Cool Bean
Talbot's
Chico's
Costume National

I can never find a white shirt, because I dont have one, unless you mean T-shirt.

Hi, Vl, Nice to see you! Big smacker! (closest emotie>) :whistle:

I've tried BB, Banana, J Crew and Chico's. All too see through. I was considering Cool Bean, but a couple of reviews complained they were see through. I may try Talbots.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think maybe you guys haven't tried these Lately.

The price of cotton on the world market increased 60% in 2013-2014.

This has resulted in thinner weaves, which means shirts are more see through.

The criteria is that I should be able to go braless without any show through. I would never actually do this, but that is my gauge.

Haven't found one yet.

I have tried Brooks Brothers, Chicos, H&M, Forever 21, J Crew, Banana Republic, Express, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Ralph Lauren.

The closest for fit was H&M, but it's a little transparent. I would prefer a heavier gauge cotton.

I have been looking for over a year, hence the desperate posting.

I am checking out everyone's suggestions as we speak. :wavey: :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lands End maybe?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
When looking at Brooks brothers, look for Oxfordcloth, not Broadcloth, huge difference. Broadcloth is thin and flimsy, Oxford is denser, and takes a nice starching.
Yeah I buy a lot there, it's not my ethos, but it's in my genes.

eta: Thanks for the smooch, I needed that.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander|1425602178|3842529 said:
VapidLapid said:
Agnes B
La Perla
Equipment
Brooks Brothers
Banana Republik
jCrew
LL Cool Bean
Talbot's
Chico's
Costume National

Hi, Vl, Nice to see you! Big smacker! (closest emotie>) :whistle:

I've tried BB, Banana, J Crew and Chico's. All too see through. I was considering Cool Bean, but a couple of reviews complained they were see through. I may try Talbots.

What is "LL Cool Bean," or simply "Cool Bean?" I live in Maine, the land of LLBean. Is Cool Bean something else or is that what people outside of here call LLBean? Curious!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm betting a play on LL Cool J!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are from J. Crew, Banana, and Gap because they all offer tall sizes. My issue is sleeve length and obviously center back length/torso. I typically wear mine with a nude bra and a cardigan over, so haven't worried about the see-through issue.

Ralph Lauren used to make beautiful oxford-cloth button-downs. Of course you have to deal with that little pony, but if you're ok with that, then check out that designer.

Talbots white shirts are no heavier gauge fabric than others, in my experience.

dk168 suggested having your shirts made, and I agree, especially when you can't easily find ready-to-wear. It's really not that expensive, and you'd be very happy with the end product, I'm sure. You could even spec the seaming, and finishing details. Certainly an option to explore.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Anne Fontaine specializes in white shirts. They're very expensive, and I don't have one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try Eileen Fisher or Jones New York.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have three really old Brooks Brothers white button downs that I wear all the time. They are the wrinkle-free version.

They are pre-2013 though so I might be in trouble they give out.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't bought any for a while so their quality may have changed, but Eddie Bauer has white cotton shirts. They have a 3% spandex in them, not enough to make them feel stretchy just more comfortable. They are called the "Wrinkle-Free Long Sleeve Shirt - solid". They have a tunic style which is longer and also a shirt with 3/4 length sleeves. Like a lot of companies the quality has slipped throughout the years but I've noticed it's been better the last couple of seasons. If you look online they are shown under Women Tops and there is a subcategory of shirts. If you want to go more expensive you can look at Lafayette 148 NY.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel this way about white t-shirts. They are always see through. The cuts are horrendous, either too tight or loose and sloppy, too short or way too long. When I google "best white t-shirts" they have blog post after blog post about fantastic white t-shirts in the $65 to $100 range. I am NEVER going to spend that for a white t-shirt. Then again, maybe it is within the $100 price range that all of the perfect t-shirts live.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Land's End shirts are too see-through for me but the Brooks Brothers shirts seems to be less transparent. I've also purchased RLP's men's oxford shirts in small for myself because the material is so much thicker.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
For the last several years, the Jones New York Collection has been offering a truly no-iron white shirt (comes in other colors, too) with a nice turn-up cuff and pearl buttons. It's not button-down, but it works. And it comes in larger sizes, too.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an interesting thread. I dont usually buy button down shirts so I didnt know about the issues the OP has mentioned.

Good luck with your search. :))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL other than your size ilander are you my Mom? This is one of my Mom's classic complaints, difficulty of finding a decent white dress shirt for women, also that they don't make quality clothes the way they used to. I like Land's end so I buy their shirts, but haven't in all white so can't tell you about transparency.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my problem with women's clothing now: Thin weave fabrics and light wright resulting in being see-thru AND clinging to every bulge, ripple or roll!!!

And I will spend on my clothes, so its expensive, supposedly high-end women's stores where I'm finding this.

Land's End *used* to be a hold out against this (I know LE is not high end) but over the past 5 years their khakis are now terribly thin and the coup de grace: their swimsuits fabric weight had to have been halved!!! A LE tank is now the same quality as a Target swimsuit.

I bought a cashmere sweater in the men's dept recently so that I could actually have some cashmere!!!! The ones in the women's dept were a joke (and cost more).

You Kids Get Off My Lawn!/Rant Over & Out.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy said:
LOL other than your size ilander are you my Mom? This is one of my Mom's classic complaints, difficulty of finding a decent white dress shirt for women, also that they don't make quality clothes the way they used to. I like Land's end so I buy their shirts, but haven't in all white so can't tell you about transparency.

Yes. Yes, I am your mother party gypsy.

And you know, it wouldn't hurt you to call a little more often, little missy!

:bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, it's obvious to me that clothing manufacturers are leaving money on the table! A line of thicker-weave. long lasting quality shirts is needed in the marketplace.

I will check out the options presented hear and report back.

But I don't hold out much hope . . . :nono:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, here is a link to a clothing store that I love. Its hot here in AZ and we love our cotton BUT we don't love thin low-quality see thru cotton. This place has beautiful cotton in all kinds of styles.

www.bgauze.com

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Theory might also be an option.

cheers--Sharon

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander said:
part gypsy said:

Yes. Yes, I am your mother party gypsy.

And you know, it wouldn't hurt you to call a little more often, little missy!

:bigsmile:

LOL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results