shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of a Ruby for my engagement ring

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
part gypsy|1425482824|3841691 said:
It seems worth $75 for a report, at the very least to satisfy your curiosity?

more places to browse,
http://www.mineralminers.com/html/rbygems.stm
I like the 1.6 carat cushion ruby for just under 3K

Gemfix has a number of rubies some in your price range
http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html#thumb
such as Untreated Ruby Oval Mixed Cut Weight: 1.17 cts Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2970.00 Order/Stock No.: ruby_544
Description: Glowing pinkish-red ruby, gorgeous! Certifed untreated. Pantone calls this one "Ruby RedC". AGL lab report included.

Thanks for the links! 'll share them with my boyfriend.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
PersianGemstone|1425438119|3841554 said:
I displayed the pictures to show where the hole in the stone is and to see if the story she was told was real or not. Was there a time period where jewelers would directly pierce precious stones versus setting it into a metal? Or was there a region of the world where such a technique may have been popular/preferred? I recall reading that in India, it was popular to do that with Sardonyx. However, this is not a Sardonyx.

PSers, feel free to correct me, but doesn't the hole on the top, pear shape, and the faceting make you think of a briolette that's been sliced in half? I can't really tell from the pictures whether it has that signature briolette cut, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Granted, this does not help at all in determining whether this is natural or man-made, or what type of material it is.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
I had to look up what a briolette was, but yeah I can see what you mean.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Considering it's your mom's, I would spend the $75 for an AGL gem brief.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting stone which I would be curious as to what it is as well.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
Marlow|1424237899|3834207 said:
A 1,3 ct for $ 389 ....

A lower quality or treated - def. not high quality and untreated.

Natural untreated ruby is extremely rare and expensive. It would be easier for you if you accept a heated ( only) stone. Fine unheated is so rare that many vendors - if they get one - have enough customer waiting for such a stone.

Next problem - you live in USA so no way to get a burmese ruby from outside USA ( there is a ban for rubies from Myanmar)

This is an example for a thai ruby in your size - price is very good - a bit flat and the color a bit darker with a bit brown....

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9938

Agreed, I don't think there is any untreated, certified 1 ct+ ruby on the market for under a thousand (and that's the price for something that could pretty much be a pink/purple sapphire). $389 must have been heated (likely beryllium as well).

I would agree that there is nothing wrong with a heat only ruby for jewelry but as a collector I wouldn't go for it.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
I will keep you all posted on what my mother's ruby turns out to be if I can convince her to mail out the stone. Not sure she'll be comfortable doing it even with getting the package insured at the post office.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
regina3737|1425780758|3843593 said:
Marlow|1424237899|3834207 said:
A 1,3 ct for $ 389 ....

A lower quality or treated - def. not high quality and untreated.

Natural untreated ruby is extremely rare and expensive. It would be easier for you if you accept a heated ( only) stone. Fine unheated is so rare that many vendors - if they get one - have enough customer waiting for such a stone.

Next problem - you live in USA so no way to get a burmese ruby from outside USA ( there is a ban for rubies from Myanmar)

This is an example for a thai ruby in your size - price is very good - a bit flat and the color a bit darker with a bit brown....

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9938

Agreed, I don't think there is any untreated, certified 1 ct+ ruby on the market for under a thousand (and that's the price for something that could pretty much be a pink/purple sapphire). $389 must have been heated (likely beryllium as well).

I would agree that there is nothing wrong with a heat only ruby for jewelry but as a collector I wouldn't go for it.

I appreciate your feedback. A heated ruby is definitely something we are now considering.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like your mom's ruby and think you should consider it for your ring. If it comes back as heat only, or untreated, I think it is durable enough to be used for an engagement ring.

You can send it USPS registered mail with insurance. The only issue is that you'll need proof of its value to collect on the insurance, so you may need to get an appraisal first? Do you plan on making any trips to NYC in the next year? You could hand carry it yourself to AGL. I did that the first time I had to send a stone anywhere.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1425871701|3844118 said:
I like your mom's ruby and think you should consider it for your ring. If it comes back as heat only, or untreated, I think it is durable enough to be used for an engagement ring.

You can send it USPS registered mail with insurance. The only issue is that you'll need proof of its value to collect on the insurance, so you may need to get an appraisal first? Do you plan on making any trips to NYC in the next year? You could hand carry it yourself to AGL. I did that the first time I had to send a stone anywhere.

Thank you for your comment.

I wish. I miss NYC. I do plan on making a visit to Los Angeles when my mother visits me this summer. I'll tell her to bring the ruby with her and maybe someone in the jewelry district can give us an appraisal there. We shall see. There's an AGL lab in Carlsbad, but that is almost 2 hours south of L.A. Not sure why they didn't have their offices in the jewelry district of L.A. There's also an AIG office in Newbury Park, which is an hour NW of L.A. Would be so much more convenient if there was something reputable in L.A.'s jewelry district.

Maybe someone on PS is familiar with one...

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
So it took us some time, but finally got the ruby stone on the gold chain assessed. My mother's ruby turned out to be a lab-created flame fusion ruby. I had the opportunity to look at it under a microscope while at the jewelers and there is clear evidencing of a brush stroke effect throughout the ruby.

My boyfriend and I brought in 3 other rubies my mother recently brought back from Iran. One was plastic :( One was glass :( but the third was an actual ruby. However, it is glass-filled but I think we are going to go with it, for now, as the center stone of my engagement ring. There''ll always be time in the future to upgrade the entire ring or just the center stone.

The jeweler did warn us that if we ever need to re-size the ring then the ruby may melt under a flame torch. I'm assuming if re-sizing is needed, then the jeweler can take the center stone out, re-sized the ring, and then place the center stone back into it's original setting. Is that how they would do it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results