shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you Catholic? I have a ? re: Mass Cards

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I am not Catholic, however my husband is. Periodically he would leave money for me to get a mass card for someone who passed away. I would go to the rectory, give the secretary the name and $10. Easy Peasy.

So about a month ago I went to get one, walked into the rectory and said to the secy: "Id like to buy a mass card" whereupon the Msgr. came running out of his office and in no uncertain terms told me mass cards were NOT for sale, they were for the comfort of the parish and I was free to contribute any amount I thought appropriate. I apologized for offending him.

So today I had to get another card for someone who passed on Wednesday. I gave the secy. the name, she gave me the card, I handed her $10. and began to walk out. She told me that mass card now COST {as in buying} $20.

So I'm confused {and a bit pissed}: Are they for sale or is it voluntary in your parish?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not Catholic, but I can tell you right now, it would be voluntary and the amount of my choice or nothing. (I agree with your sentiments!)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also am not Catholic, Amber, but whenever, wherever I've gone for a Mass card here in NYC, the "cost" has always been phrased as something like, "The suggested donation [or offeringi] s $10, but you should feel free to give more or less as your heart & circumstances may guide you."

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
yes, I do believe MollyMalone is correct. its optional but since everyone does it might come to expectations. But does not mean if one can't then they will not get a Mass card. It's been a while and it was difficult time so not sure what was majority paying but $5-20 sounds about right. I think it is in the canon law too. Anyways, additional prayers going up to them gates is always a good thing so that is wonderful you guys do that!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Amber,

The most correct term to use for the exchange of money for the purpose of obtaining a mass card would be an "offering" or in non catholic terms a "donation". That being said you can now get mass cards at online mass card stores. Which truly makes me automatically think that you are actually purchasing them. In my past experience since it is an offering there is no set amount to obtain one. But...when my grandma passed last year we made a lump sum offering/donation that cover a specific number of masses. So maybe there is a minimum per mass.

I think you were blind sided by some rude people arguing over semantics when all you were trying to do was fulfill a kind gesture requested by you husband. Personally I don't think you will get an official answer to your questions. As a life long catholic, the one universal truth I have found in the catholic church is that each priest/parish really sets it's own rules.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your replies. I admit to having a certain bias against the church because even tho I'm not Catholic the church made me get an anullment {which was basically just handover cash to the priest} when we got married because I had been married before even tho I wasn't married in the church that time.

My husband said he is new to the parish and has implemented new rules which are riling up the faithful, so I'm curious to see how his tenure will play out.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I literally just had to buy one today for someone and they just said "they're $5". Locally, usually, they're $5, even at the local Cathedral, I think. And I usually buy them from there for when we send them from work. Not "suggested" and not "donation." Just $5. My assumption was always that it was based on the cost of the card, really. Bec I've never seen one that was not a large, heavy, embossed and foiled creation. And they're not cheap. They're kinda intended to be "keepsake" things, and most get mailed.

$20 is a lot of money to charge, but every parish does them differently.

I wouldn't even know if the mass ever even got said in the person's name...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Can someone please explain what a Mass card is?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1425419377|3841437 said:

I had to look it up... this is what I found:

A Mass card, also known as a Mass offering card, memorial card or a remembrance card, is a greeting card given to someone to let them know that they, or a deceased loved-one, will be remembered and prayed for in the intentions at a Mass....
He or she will then give the card to the recipient, which lets the recipient know that he or she or a deceased family member, or some other intention, will be prayed for at the Mass.

As to the why... that would entail violations of forum guidelines.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1425351259|3840991 said:
Amber,

The most correct term to use for the exchange of money for the purpose of obtaining a mass card would be an "offering" or in non catholic terms a "donation". That being said you can now get mass cards at online mass card stores. Which truly makes me automatically think that you are actually purchasing them. In my past experience since it is an offering there is no set amount to obtain one. But...when my grandma passed last year we made a lump sum offering/donation that cover a specific number of masses. So maybe there is a minimum per mass.

I think you were blind sided by some rude people arguing over semantics when all you were trying to do was fulfill a kind gesture requested by you husband. Personally I don't think you will get an official answer to your questions. As a life long catholic, the one universal truth I have found in the catholic church is that each priest/parish really sets it's own rules.

And that brings us right to The Reformation :angel: The exchange of money for indulgences.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
azstonie|1425491006|3841765 said:
ponder|1425351259|3840991 said:
Amber,

And that brings us right to The Reformation :angel: The exchange of money for indulgences.

You know, that's exactly what I thought after this happened! 21 century indulgences!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right!!!!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1425422665|3841459 said:
amc80|1425419377|3841437 said:

I had to look it up... this is what I found:

A Mass card, also known as a Mass offering card, memorial card or a remembrance card, is a greeting card given to someone to let them know that they, or a deceased loved-one, will be remembered and prayed for in the intentions at a Mass....
He or she will then give the card to the recipient, which lets the recipient know that he or she or a deceased family member, or some other intention, will be prayed for at the Mass.

[As to the why... that would entail violations of forum guidelines.

Exactly.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Can you add a name to, forgive my mis-termination here, the prayer roll ( mass roll?) without a card? Is the card simply a notification, like a sympathy card? Or is it required for the mass to be said for the indended?

I think it would only be indulgence-like if the card ( aka the offering) were the requirement; if you can add a name without a card- a free option for the same result- then it's not really indulgence-esque.

But I have no Catholic frame of reference here, we just call and say the name we wanted added to the prayer roll on the message machine.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
MINIMS said:
I had to look it up... this is what I found: A Mass card, also known as a Mass offering card, memorial card or a remembrance card, is a greeting card given to someone to let them know that they, or a deceased loved-one, will be remembered and prayed for in the intentions at a Mass.... He or she will then give the card to the recipient, which lets the recipient know that he or she or a deceased family member, or some other intention, will be prayed for at the Mass. As to the why... that would entail violations of forum guidelines.

Thanks!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Avia, I am Catholic, and I am also no expert on mass cards. But, you can definitely add a name with no cost to the list of sick or deceased people to be prayed for during the intentions at mass.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone actually received a mass card lately? The ones I'm remembering are from the 80's when my grandfather and great grandmother passed. These were very elaborate, almost more of a book than a card. Something you would display in your home. $20 wouldn't be out of order for one of these. What is being sent these days?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks J! I think it's an important distinction, and not something I am at all familiar with.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones I usec to receive in birthday cards from an ex-fiance's mother said A mass will be said in your name....

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
I second the elaborateness of them and they become keepsakes to be handed down for generations. For example my brother. It gives comfort and support and my parents and I will have for our lives to cherish all the love we received. We even got mass to be said in his name for every single day for next I forgot something long like 20 years. Sorry my mom has info on that and its been while since I seen that, but that was from my friend. And yes, of course, can have bulletin announcements for free. my kids go to the school and they have free announcements along with free prayers said for family members and free announcements during mass too. Not to pleased with some responses and hope this clears it all up so thread stops.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results