shape
carat
color
clarity

Fashion help

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I could use some fashion help! I have a job interview next week. I have no business appropriate clothes that fit. My company doesn't really have a dress code, so I wear jeans every day and haven't bought more formal clothes in years. To add to the fun, I had a baby 4 weeks ago, so I've got the "is she pregnant or isn't she" look going on. I need some ideas for an interview outfit that will help me not look pregnant. I don't want a suit, but something nicer than business casual. Ideas?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I feel your pain AMC! Where do you normally shop?

To avoid costly alterations and save time, I would try to find a pair of black pants, a dressy, knit top with a modest neckline, and a cardigan to serve as a jacket. Nice, low-heeled black pumps or flats and a conservative handbag and accessories could complete your attire.

I won't have time to help you shop today, but hopefully our other wonderful fashionistas here on PS will chime in! Good luck on your outfit search and your interview!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
Aw, I feel your pain AMC! Where do you normally shop? To avoid costly alterations and save time, I would try to find a pair of black pants, a dressy, knit top with a modest neckline, and a cardigan to serve as a jacket. Nice, low-heeled black pumps or flats and a conservative handbag and accessories could complete your attire. I won't have time to help you shop today, but hopefully our other wonderful fashionistas here on PS will chime in! Good luck on your outfit search and your interview!

Thanks! I was thinking some sort of sweater set type thing might work. I don't normally shop anywhere, that's part of the problem. I never lost all the baby weight from #1, so I haven't really shopped since before I was pregnant with him...and that was 2011. We are driving over the mountain to go to the big/good mall, so most typical stores will be available to me.

And thanks! We are wanting to relocate to the Portland area. We've been planning it forever and it's sort of surreal that it's finally happening.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Monnie's suggestions if the company you are interviewing with also is more of a casual company. A skirt, and blouse would also work or a skirt and nice sweater. I always worked for very corporate type companies and if that's the case, I would probably wear a suit for the interview. Many stores are having great sales. I would try Ann Taylor or Macy's. I'm also sure the sales assistant at Ann Taylor would be happy to help you put something together and I know they are offering an additional 50% off all sale items right now. Good luck with the interview!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If a suit is not appropriate, I'd still probably wear a nice pants and a blazer. If you're sensitive about your post-baby body (especially the tummy area), then a blazer would offer better coverage than a sweater.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1425232647|3840263 said:
monarch64 said:
Aw, I feel your pain AMC! Where do you normally shop? To avoid costly alterations and save time, I would try to find a pair of black pants, a dressy, knit top with a modest neckline, and a cardigan to serve as a jacket. Nice, low-heeled black pumps or flats and a conservative handbag and accessories could complete your attire. I won't have time to help you shop today, but hopefully our other wonderful fashionistas here on PS will chime in! Good luck on your outfit search and your interview!

Thanks! I was thinking some sort of sweater set type thing might work. I don't normally shop anywhere, that's part of the problem. I never lost all the baby weight from #1, so I haven't really shopped since before I was pregnant with him...and that was 2011. We are driving over the mountain to go to the big/good mall, so most typical stores will be available to me.

And thanks! We are wanting to relocate to the Portland area. We've been planning it forever and it's sort of surreal that it's finally happening.

You're welcome!

I second the Ann Taylor suggestion. Their clothing is of high enough quality that any suiting pieces will likely be lined and drape well. Even if a jacket in your size doesn't quite button, you can always wear it open, provided your blouse is modest. If a jacket just isn't happening due to fit and lack of time for alterations, I think a conservative, dressy knit blouse and dressy cardigan with a nice black trouser would definitely still work. It's Portland. Not a city known for everyone being super conservative with regard to business wear, right?

I'm sure you've already done so, but hop on Pinterest and Google and search for Portland/women/business attire or similar. From what I can tell, you don't need a power suit. ;))

Congrats on the move! I am addicted to Portlandia and I have all these visions of "put a bird on it" when reading this post! I know that's not how you roll, just through the mommy threads, but isn't that stuff hilarious?! Seems like such a fun town.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on my offices' interviewing-hiring teams for both lawyers and support staff & think monarch's suggestions for a non-suit, pants ensemble are great! Here's why I like the idea of a nice cardigan instead of a blazer/jacket. Sit down in a buttoned blazer or jacket & it scrunches all around, bulges up around the abdominal & chest/breast areas. Which is why business etiquette endorses unbuttoning the jacket as you are about to sit down & then rebuttoning when rising from the seat. But if you're not used to doing that, why add that bit of rigmarole to the stress of an interview situation.

Plus, off-the-rack blazers and suit jackets rarely fit most of us very well, so end up looking chintzier than their price tag (e.g., the armholes usually aren't cut high enough -- and that's not a cheap alteration to rectify), although you may find a not-great fit less problematic in open-front or knit jackets. As for your tummy concerns, there are a lot of shells, etc. in the stores that are interview-appropriate, but need not be tucked in & offer some "float" without looking like maternity wear; a tasteful print, rather than a solid color, also would give some distraction; bonus points if the neckline is a bit different & therefore draws the eye upwards toward your face :)) Something like this Ann Taylor shell:
http://www.anntaylor.com/dot-tipped...xplode=false&skuId=17912310&defaultColor=1878

There are also some great sales in shoe stores right now, so it's a good time to be shopping. Hope you quickly find an outfit that you like, feel at ease in -- and that the interview is a rewarding one!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be in the minority here but I think an A line or sheath dress is also appropriate. It does wonders for one's figure especially if there are problem areas you are concerned about and it can be professional and smart looking. In a navy or charcoal color with either boots or pumps. You cannot go wrong.

Just wanted to add that option especially because you wrote about being worried about how it would look on you due to just having had a baby (congrats on your new baby!!!). And I LOVE the wrinkle resistant materials you can find. You can always look fresh and crisp without an iron and after sitting for hours.

Good luck on your interview!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to update everyone with what I got.

It is a sleeveless shirt with a shrug over it, with a pair of black slacks.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

image-2544284119.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, very nice! Glad you found something that works for you. I think that's a very appropriate look--good job! :appl:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
Oh, very nice! Glad you found something that works for you. I think that's a very appropriate look--good job! :appl:

Thanks. I'm hoping the cut of the shrug will help my boobs to not looks so ridiculous. Especially because it's a three hour interview and it's not like I'll be able to BF/pump during it. Those puppies are going to be huge(r) by the end, haha.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the interview AMC80!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake said:
Good luck with the interview AMC80!

Thanks! We are so excited to relocate!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results