shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana sapphire journey

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your update! How exciting for you. It's great that you took the plunge. I camnot wait to see how it turns out.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been reading this thread and hoping that Jerry would give a thumbs up...............this is such an exciting transformation! Thanks for sharing the journey! :clap: :clap:

wllfthn

Rough_Rock
Hoping for the best! Good luck!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, everyone. :D Well, I thought I'd share some conversations I had yesterday with Jerry.

Jerry:
That crystal is kind of a distorted hex. …and the distortions don’t put two flat sides directly across from each other as opposite sides of a square. Two points are opposite one another for the best square…but it is also elongated. It is easy enough to get a good 8 mm from the elongated direction, but across the shorter dimension is a little iffy. Would you object if I elongated the Asscher a little as in the attached chrysoberyl photo,….say 8 x 7, or perhaps 7.9 x 6.9, or some such similar combination. I’m just a little afraid of holding the 7 mm for absolutely sure. And even if I did hold the 7 mm, I would hate to cut away perfectly good material to bring the other dimension down to 7 mm if in fact it would make 8 mm. I’d like to keep the yield(weight) up as much as possible. At 7 mm square yield will be under 20%....more like a 2.4 ct stone. I think we should do better than that.
What do you think?

Me:
I basically told him that elongating it was fine but I didn't want a long rectangle. I also mentioned I wanted to make sure we got a good yield (due to the price of the rough, which I did share with him).

Jerry:
We like to get 25 -30% or more. But 20% is kind of a Rule of Thumb for an average yield from rough. However, I would say that with typical sapphire crystal rough yield is certainly reasonably above 20 %. Calculating the weight of even an 8 x 7 only puts the weight at about 2.7 ct which is barely 21%. The crystal seems to have been broken early in it’s life…there are certainly no fresh looking fractured surfaces. And I agree, we don’t want to stretch the stone too much. It is an odd shape and not shaped for a great yield for probably any shape. You have a valid point…..with that cost. Let me study it some more.

So he's back to studying it again before making a final call. He's really great to work with. Knows his stuff and is so thorough, which I appreciate more than he probably knows. We'll see what he says! I'll keep everyone posted on this crazy process. :D

dsc_0609.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When a lapidary is puts up part of his/her rough inventory for sale, there are usually concerns/issues which he/she isn't willing to risk. Jerry is wise to be overly cautious in his assessment of the rough material.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am learning a lot from this thread. I appreciate it that you are willing to share these steps. Are you enjoying the process or is it nerve wrecking at the same time?

S

SparkliesLuver

I agree, Chrono. And I'm thankful to be working with him.

I'm glad to hear that, Acinom. That was my hope by sharing this experience. I am enjoying it and I'm learning too. It is a bit nerve-wracking, but in a good way. Plus, I'm still in my 10-day inspection period, so that makes things a little less scary. :)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
EEEE so much anticipation. I love reading Jerry's thoughts, too. I really want to grab rough someday, but it seems so risky :) It seems like the way to get the best results is to go in with relatively low expectations (or at least, somewhat non-specific expectations).

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the look of the slightly elongated asscher. Are you happy with the estimated yield or did you expect more? Most people tend to expect more, and end up disappointed.

SparkliesLuver|1425046175|3839073 said:
Plus, I'm still in my 10-day inspection period, so that makes things a little less scary. :)

Inspection period of what? (At first I thought of the rough, but once cut you can't exactly return it as it was, unless Blaze allows that)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LK,
I think she has 10 days to decide on the rough after which, it is no longer refundable by Blaze. Of course cutting before the return period ends effectively makes it non-refundable. :lol:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1425053968|3839166 said:
LK,
I think she has 10 days to decide on the rough after which, it is no longer refundable by Blaze. Of course cutting before the return period ends effectively makes it non-refundable. :lol:

OH! Thanks :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

Rough is risky, deskjockey, for sure. But it can be rewarding. It's like the lotto, I suppose. haha I feel like low expectations are sort of a requirement.

Chrono is correct! Sorry if I was unclear, LK. I do like the elongated asscher. I was hoping for a better yield, especially since the stone has good measurements. But that doesn't mean it's going to have a good yield, either. That's where Jerry's expertise comes into play. :) I'll see what his final word is, hopefully sometime today or this weekend.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread, SL. Particularly helpful for those inclined to thinking that buying and having rough cut is cheaper and simple. Jerry is pointing out the pitfalls. I especially like his explanation that due to its hexagonal shape, getting two parallel planes would be a challenge (not something I would likely think about).

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm very glad you think so, minousbijoux. haha Yeah, rough is definitely not the safe way to go. But it's a fun journey at least once. :)

Jerry responded. Here's what he said:
In looking at it again and doing calculations, I feel that if we shifted and cut it from the side resulting in more of a teal color that we have a greater chance of exceeding your 7 mm minimum…probably closer to 8 mm…maybe even over in one direction. This gets weight up 3.4 – 3.5 ct range with yield a more acceptable 26+%. So I guess I have come full circle and would suggest we go at it from the teal color side. I hate to give up on a challenge. What are your thoughts.

I told him that I'm fine with teal, just as long as it's not pure green - I do want some blue in there. And the elongated asscher is good, too. So I think we're going to give it a shot! Phew. :) :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, that's great news!
And teal is a great color :love:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a fascinating and educational thread. Thank you for sharing the steps of your journey with us. I'll be following it with interest [emoji7] [emoji7]

S

SparkliesLuver

It's with a heavy heart that I had to ask Jerry to return the rough to Blaze. :(( We found out that DH's company didn't withhold certain taxes, so now everyone in the company owes a lot of money when they file. I could tell DH didn't want to ask me to do this, but I knew it was the right thing to do. That said, if anyone happens to buy this piece, please, please share the end result with me. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear this but I agree that gems are a luxury item and taxes come first.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
Aw, sorry. I've been following with great interest. There will always be other opportunities but I "feel" your disappointment.

S

SparkliesLuver

I agree, Chrono. It was an easy yet disappointing decision, if that makes sense.

Thank you, makeable. I hope so! :)

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, really sorry to hear that SparkliesLuver! :( Here is hoping that karma will reward you in the end with an even more exciting project someday.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, EvangelineG. I really appreciate that. Something to look forward to, then. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear this. It's a wise decision and I am sure your DH appreciates it.
You are such a nice person and I am sure the right rough will cross your path some day again.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about the project being shelved, however, I too appreciate there are more important things in life than jewellery.

Hopefully, you'll be able to find another suitable rough when you have the money to spare.

DK :))

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
So sorry as well to hear about returning the rough. I hope that an even more perfect rough will come your way when you are ready.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SL--so sorry you are facing this......BUT, it's always amazing to me how things (usually) work out. Just imagine if Jerry had said "Yes!" when you first sent the stone to him and started to cut immediately? It was the hesitation that created the space for this information and decision.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry Sparkliesluver! You made the right decision - as much as we all love gemstones, there are more important things in life!
I'm sure that when you are ready to revisit the project you'll find the perfect Montana x

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so much, Acinom, DK, swismiss, digdeep, ricezo, and preg. digdeep, you're completely right - I'm so thankful that he hesitated and went back and forth with me over several days. Otherwise, I'd have something that I'd probably already be looking to sell.

There'll be another piece at a better time. Until then ... :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results