shape
carat
color
clarity

>$20 Alexandrite too good to be true?

regina3737

Rough_Rock
I just purchased an alexandrite off ebay for a way too good of a price. The seller says that the gemstone is earthmined and there is a full color change. The pictures and video look very convincing. I remember the post about how even GIA was fooled by simulants so as you can imagine I'm quite a bit worried. I have never spent so little on what I was told was an authentic gemstone but the seller does have a money back guarantee.

Item link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281589795484

Receipt:

http://i.imgur.com/fUx5Bcc.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A poor cutting quality and maybe a weak color change but it seems to be natural chrysoberyl - depends on the color change whether it is alexandrite. Think you will have a nice bluish green daylight but no red or pink in incendescant light - more some kind of slightly pinkish grey.

India produced some very fine alexandrite but many green chrysoberyl with no or extremely weak change.

The price is o.k. if you like it.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
In the lower picture the stone shows a better color change. I'll see how good it is when it gets here.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Let us know what you see in person.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Marlow, I don't understand how it seems to be a natural chrysoberyl to you. All I see is a lousy ebay listing, and a stone that, it it is "true", is not "too good". From a photo online I cannot say if it is a chrysoberyl, a piece of swarovsky crystal or a particle of a comet. I can say that the color change of the stone matches the color change of the lighting as the whole background changes too.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Vapid Lapid,

I see the same lousy picture too - and neither me nor you are able to say whether it is an alexandrite or for example a red spinel like the one you posted before - but you trust the vendor and I trust you and the vendor too.

So why did I post it "seems" to me..... not it is!!!

In the upper part of the stone from 10 - 2 you see growth lines - they are typical, I have some alex/ green chrysoberyl with the same pattern and seen several stones in larger lots in gemshows. But of course only my opinion.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer. I am careful with Ebay vendors - no questions.

And it is def. not a piece of a comet.

I know you don't like me very much but believe me I try my best if I post my opinion to a stone shown here.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A correction

Growth tubes not lines!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worst case scenario, it's a synthetic or a simulant, but for less than $20, I wouldn't be too upset if it isn't what you thought it was. If anything, you could set it in a cluster style ring. There are very inexpensive alexandrites, but they're usually one or more of the following, 1) poor color change, 2) bad hues either or both colorways 3) tiny in size.

Unfortunately, I see people paying $$$$$ for stones with similar attributes that I mentioned above, so if yours turns out to have any of those attributes, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Good luck with it.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1423585965|3830282 said:
Worst case scenario, it's a synthetic or a simulant, but for less than $20, I wouldn't be too upset if it isn't what you thought it was. If anything, you could set it in a cluster style ring. There are very inexpensive alexandrites, but they're usually one or more of the following, 1) poor color change, 2) bad hues either or both colorways 3) tiny in size.

With some of the poor colour changes I see I wonder if one day they're gonna sell chrysoberyl as non-colour changing alexandrite :cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1423596600|3830386 said:

With some of the poor colour changes I see I wonder if one day they're gonna sell chrysoberyl as non-colour changing alexandrite :cheeky:

They already do, not the OP's vendor per se, but the some of the trade in general. I see some hideous olive brown "alexandrite" with a horrible color "shift" - not color change mind you, going for big bucks. At least the OP didn't risk much if the stone isn't what he/she had hoped. There is so much hype around alexandrite, just like padparadscha, that you have to be careful to not buy the marketing "name," but to buy for beauty and quality. :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1423599497|3830421 said:
LoversKites|1423596600|3830386 said:

They already do, not the OP's vendor per se, but the some of the trade in general. I see some hideous olive brown "alexandrite" with a horrible color "shift" - not color change mind you, going for big bucks. At least the OP didn't risk much if the stone isn't what he/she had hoped. There is so much hype around alexandrite, just like padparadscha, that you have to be careful to not buy the marketing "name," but to buy for beauty and quality. :)

Truer words were never spoken.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
Not at all, I appreciate your honesty. I agree ebay can be risky but I've had only good experiences with highly rated sellers in the past. I see what you mean about how the background changes and face palmed myself at my stupidity of not noticing it. I suppose you're right if I want a real alex I'm going to have to come up in price a lot.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
Exactly my point, I'm not going to say that this stone even is an alex, based on the photos I would say it's a chryso with a color shift. I believe it is an earth-mined stone as the seller's rating is very good. I know people have paid hundreds for color shift chrysos that were under 1/2 ct, that's why I feel like it's still a good deal. I spent $800 on a "heat only" ruby once (different seller), I took it the local college where my cousin is a geologist/GIA cert. gemologist.

It took him 5 minutes to figure out that the stone showed signs of lead glass filling. I was able to get full refund from the seller and I left the seller a neutral review. Sellers really care about their reputation and this guy is offer 14 day money back, so even if it is a stimulant I am covered. If I can get an okay color changing chryso for less than the price of brunch I still think it's a good deal.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it when I learn something new.........'face palming' :doh:

regina3737

Rough_Rock

Unfortunately, I see people paying $$$$$ for stones with similar attributes that I mentioned above, so if yours turns out to have any of those attributes, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Good luck with it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-shift-chryso-or-color-change-alex.211178/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-shift-chryso-or-color-change-alex.211178/[/URL]

How would you describe the hues? The pink is definitely on the darker side unfortunately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results