shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Similar to Brian Gavin on a College Budget?

Rigglem

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am searching for an engagement ring for my fiancee-to-be. As I am still in college, I'm starting with a $3,000 cash budget, plus or minus a few hundred dollars if need be. We have been together for four years so I have a solid grasp on what kind of jewelry she wears, likes, etc. I have already spent many many hours researching and evaluating diamonds and vendors from whom I would be comfortable ordering. As far as the realm of the internet, I have narrowed my search to either Brian Gavin Diamonds, or James Allen, mainly because of the high quality photography and 360-degree video they provide of each diamond they sell. Below are some characteristics I am seeking.

The Setting:

I would like the ring to be made out of 14k or 18k white gold, or platinum (though I believe this is likely out of my budget). In addition, the specific features I desire are an infinity loop/crossover style with intermittently woven accent diamonds. Also, my girlfriend's ring size is ~5.5; her fingers are quite petite. I should note that it is important for the design to not continue for the entire circumference of the setting.

An example of almost exactly what I am looking for is the "Carisa" setting from Brian Gavin Diamonds, found here: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...and-side-stones/carisa-18k-white-gold-5932w18

My only qualms would be in regard to the setting's price.

The Diamond:

Cut - Ideal (Equivalent of AGS - 0 or better)
Clarity - VS1, VS2, or an "eye clean" SI1
Color - G, H
Carat - Anywhere from 50 to 60 points, preferably

Again, diamonds from Brian Gavin's website have caught my attention, especially his more budget-friendly fluorescent "Blue" collection.

In conclusion, though I believe I have refined my design ideas and constraints, is this engagement ring I am looking for out of reach for my proposed budget? Any guidance or recommendations you could provide would be most appreciated, as I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you all!
Erik

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Re: Engagement Ring Similar to Brian Gavin on a College Budg

Hi Erik,

I do not have enough experience with diamonds or settings to help but I can speak to the BG blues. I just purchased earrings that are BGB. If you are interested in something that you don't see on the website you can call and speak to a salesperson (mine was Jamie who was super!). They will let you know what they might have arriving and if anything fits your budget/desires. I think the blue stones are popular and don't stay around long so it is good to get on their radar if you have interest. I waited about at least a month for a stone to arrive that was a match to another I had purchased for my earrings. It never made it to being available for sale because it was held for me. I hope this helps.

Yaya348

Rough_Rock

Hi, Im new here and also in the search for a diamond but i wanted to direct you to check out enchanted diamonds and James Allen they have the actual pictures or videos of their diamonds. Zoara is also a good website.
The setting you are looking for is beautiful but would be hard to find a matching wedding band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

i think you should stick with a simple setting and focus on the stone for now.

Rigglem

Rough_Rock

Lilysweet,

Thanks for your tip regarding the BG "Blue" series. I will ve sure to try to contact one of their representatives.

Gypsy,

I very much like the second setting from Gabriel & Co. that you listed. I hadn't yet seen this specific, simpler ribbon setting. However, if possible, I would like the prong style to be NSEW to better preserve the round characteristics of the center diamond. I will continue to peruse this company's site.

Erik

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Erik, the big N-S prongs on that BG setting are the thing I dislike most about that setting. They are just too prominent. I really prefer the regular prong orientation. I also second Gypsy's suggestion on Gabriel & Co settings and GOG.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Contact ID Jewelry and let them know your budget and what you are looking for. I was able to do that and they found me my fabulous diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-twisted-pave-shank-contemporary-solitaire-item-6859

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.60-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-303084

Ask if they can apply a James Allen discount to it, get it closer to 3k. I know you prefer the nsew look, but it will look round with the normal orientation too, and really in the big scheme of things its not that noticeable and not worth eating up most of your budget.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Do you know if your gf likes NSEW prongs? That's a really specific look that most people either love or hate. Personally I do not care for that look at all.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

liaerfbv|1425474746|3841652 said:
Do you know if your gf likes NSEW prongs? That's a really specific look that most people either love or hate. Personally I do not care for that look at all.

To me the NSEW prongs distract from the lovely shank on the BGD setting. I would like it more if it had the regular 4 prong orientation.

Love the second Gabriel setting posted.

Contact GOG or ID Jewelry. They both handle Gabriel settings and should be able to help you.

Rigglem

Rough_Rock

All who have responded thus far,

Thank you very much for your prompt replies and sugfestions. I will heed your advice and search both GOG and ID Jewelers for what I am seeking. I still hold that the NSEW setting from BGD is tastefully done, however I can see how the traditional 4-prong would be better in certain designs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A photo of the setting

uploadfromtaptalk1425834925347.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy|1425429686|3841500 said:

Seriously consider the diamond Gypsy found - you will not find better for your money :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results