shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Star Sapphire

ckh04

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have loved star sapphires for a long time and have been diligently searching for a true blue star with a good asterism. My main criteria was that it be a saturated deep blue color and be as transparent as possible while still showing the star. I did not want a dark opaque stone. I also did not want a light blue/gray colored stone because I have seen many of those and the color does not appeal to me.

Last weekend, I saw a post on "Somebody Must Buy This Stone" about a blue star sapphire and I immediately went to check out the pictures. They showed a beautiful deep purplish-blue stone with a nice sharp star, so I inquired about it and ended up getting it today. I wanted to get your opinions on the sapphire. IRL, the sapphire is not as blue as the pictures. I find it to be lighter with a violet and sometimes gray modifier. Without the star, I do not love the color of the sapphire. But with the star, it does have a beautiful body color that I don't normally see, coupled with the semi-transparency. It also is heavy on the bottom so I am not sure how I could set it.

It came with a GIA report that the sapphire is unheated and untreated. What do you all think? I paid (what I think is) a significant price for this stone and I'm unsure if I should keep it if I don't love the color (at all times). I am still within the return period. Thanks!

I've included a picture of the sapphire with the star and without, as well as a comparison picture to a smaller dark blue star sapphire I have. I was imagining the color of the larger stone to be more similar to that one.

img_7214.jpg

img_7216.jpg

_27468.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think you should return it because it is not the tone that you describe as what you want.

I think the stone you already have is dark and very purple.

The Finewater stone has a lighter tone. The photos on the website show it that way also. In your starless photo I see mostly the reflection of your ceiling, and windows so it is hard to make a call on the body color or tone. I don't see where he says anything about it being transparent, semi-transparent or opaque.

It is a lot of money. If it doesn't make you sing!, send it back

MichaelB

Rough_Rock
looks much more blue on Gary's site.

ckh04

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid|1425001278|3838771 said:
I think you should return it because it is not the tone that you describe as what you want.

The Finewater stone has a lighter tone. The photos on the website show it that way also. In your starless photo I see mostly the reflection of your ceiling, and windows so it is hard to make a call on the body color or tone. I don't see where he says anything about it being transparent, semi-transparent or opaque.

VL, thank you for your response. The GIA report actually describes the stone as semi-transparent. While it is a beautiful sapphire, I am going to hold out for the one that makes my heart sing. :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ckh04|1425014741|3838889 said:
VapidLapid|1425001278|3838771 said:

VL, thank you for your response. The GIA report actually describes the stone as semi-transparent. While it is a beautiful sapphire, I am going to hold out for the one that makes my heart sing. :)

Good, I think thats the right choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with your reasoning:
1. You don't like the starless body colour
2. You already have a star blue sapphire cabochon
3. This is not an inexpensive stone.

All the above points to returning the sapphire.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I imagine you must have returned the stone by now. I was just looking at some websites' first of the month new listings and saw this star sapphire and wondered if it could interest you.

http://gemaholics.com/star/11158SapphireStar.html

I can't say anything about the vendor's photography, but if you think it could be a contender you might contact them for additional pictures and details.

11158sapphirestar.jpg

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
I love it? Ive always wanted one myself, very art deco. What site is it from?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
the OP's stone is from Finewater, they are listed in the list of vendors for reference.

ckh04

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid|1425342667|3840920 said:
I imagine you must have returned the stone by now. I was just looking at some websites' first of the month new listings and saw this star sapphire and wondered if it could interest you.

http://gemaholics.com/star/11158SapphireStar.html

I can't say anything about the vendor's photography, but if you think it could be a contender you might contact them for additional pictures and details.

VL, thank you for the recommendation! I did return the other star already but with Registered Mail, it is taking forever to get back to him. In the meantime, I will be inquiring about this star. As imortant as the asterism is to me, I realized that I really also need to see pictures of the sapphire without the star to get a better idea of the body color.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The Finewater star sapphire is awesome!! I like the gemaholics one too.

But both are not cheap ( that is absolutely o.k. - a well centered sharp star on a medium to deep uniform bodycolor is VERY rare) so it is of course your decision whether you keep it if you don't like it 100%.

But nature will not produce many of them!! Esp. not this quality...

I understand Mr. Braun why he bought this one ...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results