shape
carat
color
clarity

Help help Advice needed on diamond inclusions 3.10 carat!!!

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help help Advice needed on diamond inclusions 3.10 carat

See if your dealer can't call it in to view and report back to you if its eye clean. Tough to tell from a plot and usually si2 isn't eye clean most of the time especially for that size.

csimons78

Rough_Rock

Hi thanks for your reply. I did see this diamond in person under a scope and in natural light it appears eye clean and beautiful. I just want to make sure the twinning wisps and feathers that appear to be included do not weaken this diamond. Any thoughts on that??

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock

GIA defines twinning wisps as a “cloudy area produced by crystal distortion, usually associated with twinning planes.”

The cert on this stone says it is Si2 that is pretty included and you would see those wisps. The needle is no problem but
a feather can be trouble if 1.) it breaks the surface of the stone and 2.) if it is large it can be detrimental to the integrity of the stone.
From the plot I would say this feather isn't the worst problem it's the wisps that garnered the Si2 rating.

csimons78

Rough_Rock

@jaimegems thank you so much for your thoughts!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jamiegems|1425383251|3841158 said:
GIA defines twinning wisps as a “cloudy area produced by crystal distortion, usually associated with twinning planes.”

The cert on this stone says it is Si2 that is pretty included and you would see those wisps. The needle is no problem but
a feather can be trouble if 1.) it breaks the surface of the stone and 2.) if it is large it can be detrimental to the integrity of the stone.
From the plot I would say this feather isn't the worst problem it's the wisps that garnered the Si2 rating.

What about the feather on the crown Jamiegems, would this be dangerous as it may break the surface at the girdle?

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock

You would have to see if the feather breaks the surface of the stone any place, you can't tell that from a plot unless it says it does.
But it wouldn't be good anytime if it breaks the surface of the stone. It doesn't show that on the plot. But I didn't look closely at the
information it gave.

csimons78

Rough_Rock

Thank you both so much for your advice. I am setting up an appointment tomorrow to look at the diamond again. I will see what I can find out.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you. If it did break the surface, would it show the feather as both red and green?

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock

You know I really can't remember if the two different colored lines means it breaks the surface. I know plotting was the worst thing we had to do at GIA everyone hated doing it. Your eyeballs hurt after using microscopes for hours at a time.
But most feathers don't break the surface. I would say you should see this diamond in person.
There is a reason it got the Si2 rating and I would be surprised if you couldn't see some of those imperfections is what we were told to call them at GIA, I still call them inclusions.

You have to be careful what you say on here some of these people are actually low enough to call people names if they don't like what you say or you make a mistake.

At any rate, what you do know is that is has an Si2 clarity grade so it has that for a reason. You need to see it. I would be surprised if it was eye clean. Sometimes people say stones are eye clean and they obviously have bad vision LOL.
Sometimes imperfections are under the crown facets and you don't see them at all and they are easily hidden with a prong.
if your going to see the stone run your fingernail over the feather and see if you can feel it.

jamiegems G. G.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pyramid|1425427010|3841484 said:
Thank you. If it did break the surface, would it show the feather as both red and green?
By definition, all feathers break the surface. They are plotted in red. The exact same feature that doesn't break the surface will be listed as a 'crystal' in the key. Yeah, it's weird but they're GIA, they get to make the rules.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Jamiegems and Denversppraiser. I thought I read that Garry Holloway said in that thread about GIA that a feather open to the surface would be plotted in green ink.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results