shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! FINALLY decided on shape (EMERALD): just need stone!!

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock
After literally going back and forth on what kind of stone I'd want for an engagement ring, I've finally decided that an EMERALD cut diamond is for me! 5 years ago I was all about antique cushions and getting a LM setting...then cushions blew up and I knew I didn't want to have the same ring as so many people. The past year I've been really into ovals (in love with Blake Lively's ring) but it seems like that is really popular now too. It's really important to me to have something unique but not trendy that will go out of style. I've always loved emerald cut stones but never tried any on, so I didn't know if I'd like it on me...but after trying on rings recently, I've decided EMERALD it is!!

I definitely want to do a 3 stone (with either traps or emeralds on the side)...thinking I will have it set by Leon, Victor, or CVB (she's done some amazing pieces for me)...but would be open to other suggestions from you guys!! Now I need to find a stone!!

I am looking to spend around 75-100K, and I'd really like to get as big of stone as possible without compromising performance and quality. -F-H color
-VS2 clarity (I'd totally do Si1 but it sounds like with emeralds, these are typically visible inclusions)...it just needs to be eye-clean.
-Excellent polish and symmetry
-1.35-1.4 length to width ratio

Where would you guys recommend I look or who should I call??? I've been on here, and the typical sites looking at inventory (James Allen, VC, GOG, bluenile, etc)....and I'm not seeing anything that stands out. After reading many experts here on PS, I know that seeing the stones in person is key, and ASETs are definitely recommended. So where should I be looking?? Does anyone have any experience with Perry (Leon's stone guy)?? I would totally buy a pre-loved stone too...so are there any auctions coming up that I should be looking into?

ANY help you guys could give, would be GREATLY appreciated!!
THANKS a million in advance!!

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock
Re: HELP! FINALLY decided on shape (EMERALD): just need ston

Here are my "inspiration" shots!

r5757-1-1wx.jpg

three-stone-emerald-cut.jpg

bfe0059b1282aebf64fa73773ea4d265.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

Good Old Gold is a good contender as they have taking ASETs down pat!

Also, it doesn't hurt to email all the vendors in your list giving them the list of requirements asking if they know if anything that might fit the bill. Good luck in your search, I can't wait to see what magnificent ring you end up with.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

Thanks guys. I will definitely reach out to GOG tomorrow!!

Gypsy: thank you!! you have such an amazing eye for stones, and it is so wonderful how many people you help on PS!

The 3 carat stones look really good but are a tad smaller than I was hoping for. The 4 is a beauty but it's more square than I'm hoping for. Ideally I'd love 1.35 for my length to width ratio (maybe even closer to 1.4). I would love to find a stone immediately but as long as I find one this year I'm ok waiting and being patient in order to find "the one". I really appreciate you looking though, please keep me in mind if you ever see something you think looks good!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock

Hi IceQueen2014. I was scrolling through my phone pics and came across a ring I tried on back in December. This seems to fit much of your criteria (including the side traps). I recall it was breathtaking and fell in love with it but honestly it is out of my price range. My ring size in the picture is 6.25 so that gives you some idea of the presence of the center stone which I think was 5+ carats. The cost was about 90K. If you are interested, I will see if I can find the business card and pass along the info to you. If you do call to check on it, be sure to post the stats so that you can get input from the PS EC experts.

Sorry I only have 1 picture of it.

20141230_153816_1_.jpg

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock

Blue Nile is ok but you need to know how to read a cert, and they show (SAMPLE) photos not actual photos unless they are on the cert, so you should probably do some research on what proper Emerald cut dimensions should be before you look at their diamonds. And by the way Blue nile doesn't really own those stones it's a gathering place for stones that come from many places and they are all supported on that site. Or so I have heard. And that is why diamonds come and go there frequently. Also dump the H stop at G color will show in an emerald cut. set it in white metal with a G.
Also

Ice Queen

Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, you seemed bothered by popular stones and having too many people buying the shape that you like. So let me just say that you probably shouldn't go to the east coast if your wearing an emerald cut diamond. For time without end, the east coast monied people and debutants of the slightly underdone side of the upper crust all have emerald cut diamonds. For decades all the east coast girls had five carat emerald cut diamonds LOL Just so you'll know. Stay out of New England and New York.

And you should also know that as far as cuts go emeralds have the least amount of bling for your bucks. They are pretty, but not much refraction and color in even the nicest of them. More like a piece of glass than colored refraction. So if you don't care much about sparkle you'll be fine. And you are right about the clarity rating it should be high in an emerald cut.

I would have stopped at ovals... not very many people have them and they always face up much bigger than they actually are. You do have to be careful about the cut on them. The variables are many, sometimes they are narrow or fat or too deep or shallow. It's a tricky cut to buy for sure.

My favorite has and will remain a round because I know how to find really good ones. So I thought I would just throw that in for what it's worth.

jamiegems G. G.

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

AAC2013,

This is GORGEOUS and just what I'm looking for!!! I love the proportions and the overall look of the ring!! If you can find the info, I'd love it!!! THANK YOU so much for taking the time to post this....it's beautiful! I'd love to see some specs on it!!!

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

Jamiegems....

Thank you for your reply! I am in the midwest (Minnesota), and I definitely don't see a lot of emeralds....but yes, I really want something different from the average person! I guess I will have to definitely stay away from the East Coast (bummer, I love it there)!! I know trends constantly change and there is probably going to be a time where every shape is the "it" stone....so I probably need to get over that fact!

I thought I was sold on the oval (not only because I love how "spready" it is, but because I love the way it sparkles), but to be honest when I tried some on, I just wasn't a fan (I was shocked)!! It may have been because none of them were set and so I didn't get the best feel for them...but something about the emerald 3-stone just spoke to me.

Ahhhhh, such a tough decision! I guess I'll just need to get a few....that way I can choose based on my mood that day! Ha!! Only kidding...wish that was the case!

Thanks again for your information and your opinions....I really appreciate it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In regard to a previous comment, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with H or even I color in an emerald cut! In fact I'd go up to VS1 in an emerald cut that size and definitely H (or I, in my case). Here is a recently posted 3 ct I color EC that is gorgeous.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-16-ec-with-leons-french-cuts-and-strong-blue-fluor.210459/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-16-ec-with-leons-french-cuts-and-strong-blue-fluor.210459/[/URL]

With your budget, you'll be able to get the size you want and a higher color, more than likely. I absolutely love emerald cuts, too, and if I get another diamond ring, that will likely be it. I would highly recommend working with GOG, and I do think you may have to wait on the right stone if going over 4 cts. It is hard to find good EC's period, but in large sizes there are obviously fewer to choose from. I look forward to following your journey! Oh, and I love Victor and Caysie for settings!

Of course, the ring posted tonight does look very interesting, too!

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock

Ice Queen

With the kind of budget you have to work with you will have many choices for good diamonds to choose from. With your budget you don't have to give in on anything really. And if emerald suits your fancy then go for it. They are lovely stones and I say that because they usually are very clean and clear. And I like the three stone look as well, it almost seems as though the diamonds blend together to make a huge curved stone. it's a great look

Jamiegems G. G.

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

Thanks diamonseeker!!

I love hearing everyone's advice and opinions....so thank you so much for giving me yours!! I was totally unwilling to go less than a G recently based on a lot of comments on here, but then several people told me to absolutely consider a H or I and so I'm totally going to keep my mind open (thanks for the reassurance)!

I second you on Caysie and Victor for the setting. I was dead set on having Leon do it, but I've recently decided he probably isn't the best fit for me. I had some bands made by Caysie recently and she blew me away so I'm leaning towards using her and her team!! I'll definitely keep you updated on my journey!! :)

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

Jamiegems...

It's such a big decision, and I do like so many different looks and styles (over the last 5 years I've gone from cushion, to round, back to cushion, to yellow radiant with white traps, to round, to oval, to emerald, to OEC, to back to emerald...it's exhausting)!!

I had a gorgeous 2 carat round diamond before (a previous marriage) and I do love that they are classic and sparkle like no ones business (a well cut round I guess...hehe), so I think part of me loves the emerald because it is so much different than the round. I do agree with you they aren't as sparkly but I do really love the look of the step cuts. Hopefully I'll make the right decision, I'm open to pretty much anything and I'm hoping "the one" shows up!!

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I personally wouldnt go lower than F , I like the Icy White look but many people on pricescope always recommend H , I would look at some in person to see the color you like

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock

Ice Queen

You'll know you've found it when you don't want to go home without it :) The first big diamond I had I practically went into depression when I had to have a prong worked on or even had to take it off to be cleaned LOL.

Jamiegems G. G.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock

I found the business card and called to check on it for you. I am responding via cell so bear with me.

Stats for center stone

GIA certified
5.41 cts
VS2
K color
excellent polish / excellent symmetry
L/W ratio 1.45
65% table
67.3% depth

Set in platinum. Side traps are an additional 1ctw.

Whether the color works for you might be the only factor. I recall that I was shocked it was not a higher color when I tried it on (and my eyes are color sensitive). However that is a personal choice for you. I will say though that it is a classic elegant design and I was literally contemplating selling some lake property to fund it. My husband's sad look shook me out of my trance. :shifty:

Let me know if you want the phone number.

Best of luck!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

Whoops, sorry! Realized you are already posting in that thread :) That would be amazing if it could work out!

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

aac2013|1425410991|3841367 said:
I found the business card and called to check on it for you. I am responding via cell so bear with me.

Stats for center stone

GIA certified
5.41 cts
VS2
K color
excellent polish / excellent symmetry
L/W ratio 1.45
65% table
67.3% depth

Set in platinum. Side traps are an additional 1ctw.

Whether the color works for you might be the only factor. I recall that I was shocked it was not a higher color when I tried it on (and my eyes are color sensitive). However that is a personal choice for you. I will say though that it is a classic elegant design and I was literally contemplating selling some lake property to fund it. My husband's sad look shook me out of my trance. :shifty:

Let me know if you want the phone number.

Best of luck!

WOW...I would not have guessed that was a K colored stone. I figured when you said it was around 90K it had to be a bit warmer in color (was hoping you'd say it was a H or so) or was was lower clarity. Everything else about it is seriously perfect!! Literally pretty much exactly what I'm looking for!! I have a couple of stone hopefully being looked at by a vendor this week, but if they don't seem to work out then I would totally be interested in reaching out to this jeweler. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking??

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

emmebee|1425415043|3841401 said:
Whoops, sorry! Realized you are already posting in that thread :) That would be amazing if it could work out!

LOL! Yes, I've been all over that one. I literally emailed the person I'm working with on finding a stone, and a few hours later that post went up. We thought maybe it was a sign or meant to be. I think he will want more for the stone than my budget will allow so I'm not holding out and I'm moving forward looking at other options, but thank you for thinking of me and my quest to find my holy grail (ha, I've been lurking on PS too much)!!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock

IceQueen2014 - yes, I know the k is probably a little lower than you prefer. The stone is so bright that it really seems higher color in person. To answer your question, I am in Raleigh, NC. Just let me know if you want to contact the store. I'll give you the name of the person who has helped me in the past. She is wonderful, patient, and will not pressure you a bit. Diamondseeker2006 has also mentioned the names of possible other options as well that are worth checking out (by the way Diamondseeker2006, I enjoy reading your posts. I think we have very similar taste in jewelry!).

In the meantime, I wish you success on this exciting journey!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

IceQueen2014|1425418304|3841430 said:
emmebee|1425415043|3841401 said:

LOL! Yes, I've been all over that one. I literally emailed the person I'm working with on finding a stone, and a few hours later that post went up. We thought maybe it was a sign or meant to be. I think he will want more for the stone than my budget will allow so I'm not holding out and I'm moving forward looking at other options, but thank you for thinking of me and my quest to find my holy grail (ha, I've been lurking on PS too much)!!

Haha, of course! and LOL and holy grail - definitely a PS term!! :lol:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So curious if you found what you are looking for!? I have a 3.01 emerald cut that I am currently setting with two trapezoids. I have the EXACT pictures for my jeweler as you do! Would love to know what you decided on and will post pics of mine when it's done!

IceQueen2014

Rough_Rock

Emeraldsaremyfavorite|1431364695|3875149 said:
So curious if you found what you are looking for!? I have a 3.01 emerald cut that I am currently setting with two trapezoids. I have the EXACT pictures for my jeweler as you do! Would love to know what you decided on and will post pics of mine when it's done!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite…..how exciting! I can't wait to see your final ring!!

I on the other hand am no closer to having a ring and in fact think I've changed my mind back to wanting an oval. I love, love, love an emerald with traps (or emerald side stones, shields, etc)….but I really had a "look"/spread that I was trying to achieve. I really wanted to be close to 5 carats and despite a healthy budget, realized that I was going to have to be in the H-J color range in order to get that size. After looking at some stones, I realized that I am more sensitive to color than I once thought (especially with the step cuts). If I wanted to be in the F/G, VS1/2 range…it looked like I would be more in the 3.5-4 carat range (which I know is absolutely huge and beautiful….just a little smaller than I truly want).

So now I'm leaning back towards an oval (I love Blake Lively's setting and even Leann Rimes first oval)….I just don't know if it's what I truly want. I know with the oval I can get a similar spread to the emerald at a much lower carat weight, and can go slightly lower in color (willing to go to a G, maybe even a H??) and clarity (only care if it's eye-clean)…which is appealing for me! I'm just struggling with whether or not a solitaire is for me (I'm not a huge fan of an side stones on an oval).

Ahhhh, I really thought an emerald three stone was "IT" and now I'm back at square one!! Hopefully while looking for a stone something will "speak" to me and I can go from there!!

I am excited to see your ring once it's done!! It is going to be spectacular!!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am sure you will get an amazing diamond! I actually had an oval and upgraded to an emerald cut. Mine was a little over 2 carats and now my emerald is 3 and they look the same size! So you are right about the coverage you get with an oval... The biggest bang for your buck in my opinion. I had a G and it was white as can be. I really love the 3 stone with all ovals. Tiffany and Co has that as one of their signature rings, just something to think about. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results