shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding My Cushion Cut

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
Hello! This is my first post on the forum. I've been searching for a little while now for the right center stone diamond. I have a learned a LOT from different diamond guides and this forum.

I have been ring shopping with my girlfriend and I have decided on (based on her reaction) this Henri Daussi setting or something very similar. She tried it on at a local jewelry store and loved it. I didn't love the stone or the price, which is why I'm here. I need to find a center stone! I will most likely purchase the setting locally. They are asking $4150 for the setting but I'm going to try to get them under $4000. It can be bought online for $3500 tax-free. Haven't totally decided on my route on this yet, because I could save $1000 here.

My budget for the ring is to try to stay close to $15k.

That said, I'm having trouble narrowing down and pulling the trigger on a center stone. I've found a few that I thought I really liked, only to find out that they were either unavailable or I can't pull the trigger because I'm unsure of the spec's.

Here's what I'm looking for... 1.6-1.9 ct. cushion cut, F-G color, VS1-VS2 clarity (eye clean), very good or excellent cut, with as good of light performance as possible (somewhat balanced I think, but overhead light performance being more important). I'm not very good at determining style of cushion cut, but I think I'd prefer what people are calling a "chunky" cushion. I don't know. But I'm trying to find this for $10-12k. Obviously I'd like to stay closer to $10k but I'm not sure I can get everything I want for that low.

Here's my leading candidate right now: 1.78 Ct. G-VS1 Diamond. It seems to meet most/all of my criteria. I just need someone else to help convince me! :lol: The link shows actual diamond video, photo, and ASET.

What do you all think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! :wavey:

Oh my, that is not a good cushion at all. I am sure we can help you find some better options. I will check one site quickly before I head to bed.

Okay, couldn't find the color you want, but here is an example of a much better cut stone. As you can see, in the stone you posted, the ASET image has a lot of white, and that means leakage which means diminished light performance. This one has almost no white and is a much better cut stone.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-7ct-i-vs1-signature-modern-cushion-diamond.html

GOG generally has the best selection of modern cushions, but you can check Brilliantly Engaged in-house cushions as well as Brian Gavin. They all have some style differences, but it is good to see them to have more options.

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
Wow, that diamond does appear to be much nicer. How noticeable would an I color grade be? Compared to a G? The diamond will be set in 18K white gold. Should I sacrifice the color to this level in order to get a better cut for light performance?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
The one DS posted looks great.

If you find you need to stay with a G-color, consider this option:
1.61ct, G, SI1
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05236268

I rarely recommend BlueNile, but their Signature Cushions have been looking great. I would ask them about how eye-clean the stone is, and they should be able to tell you, as it is actually in-house (as opposed to most of their inventory).

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1425066498|3839294 said:

1.61ct, G, SI1

I rarely recommend BlueNile, but their Signature Cushions have been looking great. I would ask them about how eye-clean the stone is, and they should be able to tell you, as it is actually in-house (as opposed to most of their inventory).

That is a beautiful stone. I asked if they could verify that it was eye clean and they responded that since it is a Signature Blue Nile stone, being eye clean is one of their requirements. He went on to note that the inclusions would not be noticeable at a glance, which is how eye clean is tested.

I don't have to necessarily stay with G-color. I could consider H or maybe even I. Cut is most important, after all, right?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion87|1425072937|3839343 said:

1.61ct, G, SI1

That is a beautiful stone. I asked if they could verify that it was eye clean and they responded that since it is a Signature Blue Nile stone, being eye clean is one of their requirements. He went on to note that the inclusions would not be noticeable at a glance, which is how eye clean is tested.

I don't have to necessarily stay with G-color. I could consider H or maybe even I. Cut is most important, after all, right?

The other thing to concern is the facet pattern. The stone DS picked is a Modern Cut (4-main) and the BN stone is a Hearts & Arrows cut. Two different flavors.

So, I think it's important to determine where your preference lies.

We haven't even looked at any options with an antique cut!
1.58ct, H, SI2 - August Vintage Cushion
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-58ct-h-si2-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

Once you determine which facet pattern you like, it will become much easier to pick a stone.

Let us know which you prefer, and we'll see what else can be found.

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1425065046|3839279 said:
Wanted to throw this stone out there...looks like a beautiful hall of mirrors!
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.71-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-132036

Edit...I looked for something nice in a D-H at JA but didnt really see anything.

It does seem to have a lot of reflection, doesn't it? I like that it seems to look good and shine well and the clarity is good. Not sure if I will notice the I-color. But these are the types of sacrifices I may have to make to get a good stone at a great price. This one is just under $10k.

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1425073559|3839348 said:

1.61ct, G, SI1

The other thing to concern is the facet pattern. The stone DS picked is a Modern Cut (4-main) and the BN stone is a Hearts & Arrows cut. Two different flavors.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-58ct-h-si2-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

Once you determine which facet pattern you like, it will become much easier to pick a stone.

This is a really hard decision. Can't I just like them all? :love: :lol:

I really like looking at the Blue Nile Signature Ideal Cut with the Hearts & Arrows. It just seems like a really special thing to put on an engagement ring. That particular stone has a good G color, too.

The Signature Modern Cut (4-main) that DS posted isn't that bad, either. It's not that symmetrical but still looks really good.

The AVC that you posted seems to do exceptional with light performance and I'm sure it would look great in all light. I really like this one but the clarity doesn't seem all that great.

I think I would go H&A > AVC = Modern Cut. Love the idea that there are Hearts and Arrows in the stone! I think she would, too. But is it worth the extra $$ ($800-1000 more than the other two).

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion87|1425076112|3839374 said:
RockyRacoon|1425073559|3839348 said:

1.61ct, G, SI1

This is a really hard decision. Can't I just like them all? :love: :lol:

Love the idea that there are Hearts and Arrows in the stone! I think she would, too. But is it worth the extra $$ ($800-1000 more than the other two).

You can like them all! There are always future necklace and earring purchases to be made as gifts, so you can try out all the different types of cushions.

I think the main price difference comes from the color. G color is a solid color in a cushion. However, color sensitivity is VERY much subjective, so what one person likes might vary greatly from the preferences of another.

Did you get a feel from your gf about how color sensitive she is? Is it possible to take her to a store to look at some G and I-colored cushions (graded by GIA or AGS) to determine her color preference? If it turns out the I-colored stone is too tinted, then it makes the decision a little easier. If it turns out that the I-colored stone is perfect, well, you can save the money vs. buying the higher colored stone!

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
I could probably figure out a way to have her come look at some diamonds with me. We've been ring shopping together twice.

Then I'd just have to find another H&A with an H or I color rating in the 1.5-1.8 ct. range. How hard is it to find these H&A diamonds? They have to be ideal cuts to get that effect, right?

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
This 1.9 carat just seems to sparkle! Good G-color and cut seems decent. Is this one considered "crushed ice"? Either way, based on this video it seems nice for the price. It does have a knot towards the edge. Thoughts? https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C190-3W2UKL

Then there's these I-color 2.01 carat stones... All look appealing to the eye in the video's shown for each:

#1 https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C200-BZUAUQ?cid=pricescope

#2 https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C200-SE1V1X?cid=pricescope

#3 https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/C200-J8GAB7?cid=pricescope

So many choices... Any thoughts?

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
Okay. I've done more cut type research, and talked to my GF a bit. I've determined that I'm going to pretty much remove all modified brilliant cushions that are "crushed ice". I'm now after Signature or Ideal cut stones in the 1.5-1.7 carat range. I want the larger 4 or 8 main pavilion brilliant cuts or a Heart's and Arrows cut or some other special cut with larger facets, excluding the August Vintage cuts.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05236268 This stone that was posted above is a Blue Nile Signature Ideal Heart's and Arrows 1.61 ct G-color SI1. Three things going for this stone include the Signature Ideal, nice G Color, and 1.00 L/W ratio. Two bad things going for it include the SI1 clarity with inclusions seen through the table when magnified, but is apparently "eye-clean" in order to achieve the Blue Nile Signature designation, and the 70.4% deep table depth, reducing overall L-W size. I will have to ask for Idealscope/ASET photos. Blue Nile has this stone on site, so they should be able to provide these. They show actual front/back photos.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...nd-ags-104076825003#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/0/ This is a Brian Gavin Ideal Hearts and Arrows 1.605 ct I-color VS2. It is AGS graded 0/0/0/0 for cut grade/light performance/polish/symmetry. It has the Idealscope/ASET photo's posted. It is approximately $500 less expensive. Is has a rectangular L-W ratio but not severe, and with a table depth of only 60.6%, will appear larger than the Blue Nile stone above. What can someone tell me about the photo's and spec's of this stone? Significantly greater value than the Blue Nile stone? I'm thinking so.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-7ct-i-vs1-signature-modern-cushion-diamond.html This Good Old Gold Signature Modern Cushion is 1.7 ct I-color VS1. It has photos as well, what do people think of them? It is about the same price as the Brian Gavin stone. This stone with a larger carat weight will appear smaller than the Brian Gavin stone and slightly larger than the Blue Nile stone because of the 69.7% depth.

So out of the 3, what stone do you think is the best?

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
Nice find, thanks! It looks pretty good. Are the yellow reflections due to more of the I color or to more of the lighting I wonder??

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
I really really think the Brian Gavin stone is in the lead right now. Another downside now is the price, I just realized that BGD is based in Texas, so I'll have to pay sales tax. This means it is now the most expensive, $400 more than the Blue Nile stone. Bummer.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion87|1425404014|3841298 said:
I really really think the Brian Gavin stone is in the lead right now. Another downside now is the price, I just realized that BGD is based in Texas, so I'll have to pay sales tax. This means it is now the most expensive, $400 more than the Blue Nile stone. Bummer.

Got a trip planned to a neighboring state any time soon?

Items can be shipped to a FedEx distribution center, and then held there. The shipping address is the center, so you would be able to avoid sales tax, and then you must have your ID to pick up the package (this is how BG ships most of their packages, you would just have to choose a distribution center in a different state).

It would probably be cheaper to take a quick daytrip vs. paying the sales tax.

Just a thought!

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
I'm from Texas and bought my diamond from BGD. You can avoid sales tax by having them ship to a FedEx location for secure pick-up (I drove to Lake Charles, LA) or ship to someone you trust out of state. Also, that BGD is not rectangular at all. The way BGD measures their stones is different - the first metric is diagonal and you have to go by their second number. (The diamond you're looking at is approx. 6.84 x 6.84 since all BGD cushions are pretty square.) Please consider this since it may not be as large as you think. Also, if you're from Texas, I suggest you take trip to look at the diamond in person. I was able to do so and compare the stone that I went with side-by-side vs a BGD cushion. I went with my stone simply because I could see it was brighter.

Best of luck.

Cushion87

Rough_Rock
noscrusir|1425405174|3841313 said:
I'm from Texas and bought my diamond from BGD. You can avoid sales tax by having them ship to a FedEx location for secure pick-up (I drove to Lake Charles, LA) or ship to someone you trust out of state. Also, that BGD is not rectangular at all. The way BGD measures their stones is different - the first metric is diagonal and you have to go by their second number. (The diamond you're looking at is approx. 6.84 x 6.84 since all BGD cushions are pretty square.) Please consider this since it may not be as large as you think. Also, if you're from Texas, I suggest you take trip to look at the diamond in person. I was able to do so and compare the stone that I went with side-by-side vs a BGD cushion. I went with my stone simply because I could see it was brighter.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! I could have it shipped to FedEx in Shreveport. So shipping address is the only factor in the sales tax? I'll be doing a wire transfer from my bank in Texas.

Thanks for the heads up on the measurements, also! That means all the stones are pretty similar in size. But that's fine, because I think this stone will look the nicest.

I don't know if I could swing a trip to Houston to look at the stone in person without my GF wondering what was up. Anyone have any good alibi's I could borrow? :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results