shape
carat
color
clarity

That clean diamond sparkle!! The importance of cleaning!

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
Its been mentioned before, how a bit of oil/grime/etc can significantly impact on the beauty of a diamond. I think it's an important topic often overlooked by those new to the scene. If you come to pricescope researching the best possible performance, then to enjoy that performance upgrade its entirely important to keep that diamond clean!

In my experiences, I can easily notice the difference in sparkle and fire once the diamond has a little buildup. That is with the naked eye.

Has anyone ever attempted to capture/demonstrate this through use of an ASET/IS? is it achievable? How much effect can you cause through an oily smear. I'd love to see some results if anyone cares to partake!

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link. I'm able to take similar photographs myself, however don't have an ASET/IS. What I was curious about is if the reflector image would align with what is seen by the naked eye.

Anyone?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
KobiD|1425271867|3840572 said:
Its been mentioned before, how a bit of oil/grime/etc can significantly impact on the beauty of a diamond. I think it's an important topic often overlooked by those new to the scene. If you come to pricescope researching the best possible performance, then to enjoy that performance upgrade its entirely important to keep that diamond clean!

In my experiences, I can easily notice the difference in sparkle and fire once the diamond has a little buildup. That is with the naked eye.

Has anyone ever attempted to capture/demonstrate this through use of an ASET/IS? is it achievable? How much effect can you cause through an oily smear. I'd love to see some results if anyone cares to partake!
Kobi,
I could not agree with you more about the importance of keeping diamonds clean. And I also agree that it is not discussed enough. Not only should you have a regular cleaning schedule, but you should do it well!

It's a pet peeve of mine derived from years of seeing customers bring in diamonds that have rarely if ever been properly cleaned.

Many people here are obsessive about it and I salute them!

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
Agreed TL. Without a doubt!

Its not hard to become obsessive once you realise the impact a simply cleaning can have.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The insidious thing is that diamonds usually get dirty gradually enough that the decline in performance is barely noticeable from day to day. But very soon you are looking at a diamond with half the performance it should have. Until it gets cleaned. Then it's like, Wow! I remember you!

I am a believer in ultrasonic or vibrasonic cleaners. If you combine regular ultrasonic with steam, you have professional punch. A trip to the art supply store to get a brush with long, thin, but firm bristles will pay off big. The bristles on a toothbrush are usually too thick to get to the underside of the diamond where the film builds up and diminishes performance. (It's easy to clean the top of the diamond with a soft cloth). If you can't be bothered to do home cleaning, stop by a good jeweler every once in a while. Most will be happy to do a routine cleaning for you as a courtesy.

At a minimum, clean your diamond at least as often as you clean your car.

Just do it people!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband wishes I cleaned my car as often as my diamond. :lol:

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
marcy|1425433792|3841532 said:
That!
Oh my, exactly!
With my job, my diamonds get really dirty fast so I meticulously clean them twice a week.
I have great performers that I mpaid good money for they better perform well as much as possible!
I did not look high and low for greater performers to let them down when just a good bath and a nice brushing can keep them blinding passersby!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1425432433|3841524 said:
At a minimum, clean your diamond at least as often as you clean your car.

Just do it people!
So only once a year?... :bigsmile:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Phanie|1425446128|3841588 said:
marcy|1425433792|3841532 said:
That!
Oh my, exactly!
With my job, my diamonds get really dirty fast so I meticulously clean them twice a week.
I have great performers that I mpaid good money for they better perform well as much as possible!
I did not look high and low for greater performers to let them down when just a good bath and a nice brushing can keep them blinding passersby!
That's the spirit! Marcy and Phanie are now on my A list for diamond tidiness. Properly prepared to meet the light.

Sing it from the mountaintops!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Texas Leaguer, I'll be getting one of those cleaners for my best friend. This story will make a lot of you cringe. She never takes off her rings. She has her original wedding set and a Tiffany Ribbon ring her husband purchased for her at the iconic NY Tiffany store. I remember seeing it when it was new and it looked beautiful. One day she was over and I looked at her ring and gasped. I thought she chipped her diamond as it looked dead. I took it from her and looped it. The entire ring was coated in grime. She sheepishly told me she wore it while kneading bread dough and pie crust. It had dried pieces of dough stuck to it in various places. It also had threads stuck to it (she's a designer and is always working with fabric swatches). I soaked it in Dawn for well over an hour and then I meticulously (but gently) worked away at scrubbing out the dough. I finally told her that I couldn't get all the grime out and she had a stubborn piece of dough and thread I could not remove. I offered to take her to my jeweller to have it cleaned. I also made her promise to NEVER wear it kneading dough again. My jeweller was horrified by the story and gave me cleaner to give to her.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Poodles4me|1425497774|3841844 said:
Thanks Texas Leaguer, I'll be getting one of those cleaners for my best friend. This story will make a lot of you cringe. She never takes off her rings. She has her original wedding set and a Tiffany Ribbon ring her husband purchased for her at the iconic NY Tiffany store. I remember seeing it when it was new and it looked beautiful. One day she was over and I looked at her ring and gasped. I thought she chipped her diamond as it looked dead. I took it from her and looped it. The entire ring was coated in grime. She sheepishly told me she wore it while kneading bread dough and pie crust. It had dried pieces of dough stuck to it in various places. It also had threads stuck to it (she's a designer and is always working with fabric swatches). I soaked it in Dawn for well over an hour and then I meticulously (but gently) worked away at scrubbing out the dough. I finally told her that I couldn't get all the grime out and she had a stubborn piece of dough and thread I could not remove. I offered to take her to my jeweller to have it cleaned. I also made her promise to NEVER wear it kneading dough again. My jeweller was horrified by the story and gave me cleaner to give to her.
Well done Poodles!

Maybe you could start a diamond rescue service :lol:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't agree more. When I first was married I didn't realize how to clean or when. Then I started with a brush and dawn. Now I use magnasonic ultrasonic cleaner with some blue jewelry cleaner probably every other day. I am happy to say I have progressed. :D

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
KobiD|1425271867|3840572 said:

You asked for it...

Before cleaning (approx. 5 days since last cleaning):
img_2488.jpg
img_2494.jpg

After cleaning (using alcohol and toothbrush):
img_2501.jpg
img_2504.jpg

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
OECrystal -I like the evidence of what my eyes has seen in real life, Thank you

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving these stories. When we travel I have my husband stop somewhere to pick up a jar of jewelry cleaner. If we stay at someone's house I ask for a bowl and dish soap to bathe my jewels each night. If someone touches my diamond or gemstone the steam cleaner comes out that night. My DH thinks I'm a flake but I know most of you understand.

ETA: OECrystsl thanks for the images of the difference a cleaning can make. That is really something.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1425532840|3842113 said:
I am loving these stories. When we travel I have my husband stop somewhere to pick up a jar of jewelry cleaner. If we stay at someone's house I ask for a bowl and dish soap to bathe my jewels each night. If someone touches my diamond or gemstone the steam cleaner comes out that night. My DH thinks I'm a flake but I know most of you understand.

ETA: OECrystsl thanks for the images of the difference a cleaning can make. That is really something.

When we travel I use what is available, liquid bath gel or shampoo works equally well as dishwashing liquid does to clean the pavillion. Diamonds have an affinity for grease, they used grease belts in the past for mining operations.

I clean my rings several times a week, use the ultrasonic once a month for my bracelets, and clean our now one year old car several times a year. You know where my priorities are :lol:

stormi

Rough_Rock
I clean my rings (and earrings and pendant) each and every morning! We paid good money for my sparklies... and I want them to SPARKLE!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I've been cleaning my new e-ring and my old wedding band every day now. I'm wondering if it's OK just to go the route of jewelry cleaner or dawn and a brush as I've been doing. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and I've read elsewhere on this forum that people were concerned with loosing pave stones, which is why I didn't consider getting one. Should I be worried? And also, is a daily clean with the cleaner or dawn and brush just as good as long as I keep up with it? Thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklysoprano, a daily soaking in something like Dawn or jewelry cleaner does a pretty good job. I've had a few of the inexpensive ultra sonic cleaners and they didn't hold up well. I also had a few channel set stones work themselves loose by running them through the US. All I do is soak mine everyday and use the brush maybe once a week. When I am in a jewelry store I will have them clean my rings for me.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Thx, Marcy! I'll keep my cleaning as is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results