shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs white gold

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
Hi, been researching Alot but still feel the need to post the question. g a surprise upgrade for my wife. Picked an emerald cut solitaire with channel eternity ring. Question is, should I go platinum on them or white gold? Want to secure that center stone as best as I can but love the shine of
The white gold. Don't want it to yellow. I'm torn as I'm going for vintage look. thanks!!!!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I love platinum for its durability and heaviness. If you want the same look as white gold, you can have your platinum ring rhorium plated and it will look the same as most white gold rings (which are, at least around here, rhodium plated). I have heard some white gold alloys are not plated, but I haven't yet seen such pieces. My e-ring is 950 platinum and is (or should I say was) rhodium plated and I wear two wedding bands (one on each side), which are 14 K palladium alloyed white gold (rhodium plated) and they used to have identical color (still do "face up"). Now the plating has worn off at the bottom (palm side), and the platinum ring is more grey, but I don't mind.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For rings that I only wear occasionally, or the CSs are not too valuable, I would opt for 14K or 18K white gold, mainly to cut cost, as the same ring in platinum is likely to cost nearly twice as much.

My 3-stone ruby diamond ring that I wear most of the days on my left hand was made in 18K WG by mistake, and it has to be re-plated from time to time to my annoyance. I would have insisted for it to be remade in platinum, however, I discovered the mistake too late to be able to do much about it. :roll:

DK :))

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I would opt for platinum. There won't be a yellowing issue, every good jeweler works well with it, and if it accidentally gets taken in to the hot tub, the chlorine won't erode it away over time like it will white gold. :)

Of course, I opted to have my last ring made in palladium because I didn't want the yellowing issues, or the heft of platinum, but many jewelers don't work with it and if it is done wrong will have durability issues.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum is my absolute fave, I only do WG if it is a project that my budget doesn't allow plat!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
vintageinjune|1425234265|3840273 said:
I would opt for platinum. There won't be a yellowing issue, every good jeweler works well with it, and if it accidentally gets taken in to the hot tub, the chlorine won't erode it away over time like it will white gold. :)

I would go with platinum over white gold for this reason! My boys and I are always at the pool or beach during the summer and sometimes I forget to take my ring off before hand.

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
I was thinking of spending that extra on a 1.1 carat asscher cut channel eternity band as the facets a really more similar to the emerald cut center stone + would add to the vintage look but if it seems money would be better spent on platinum upgrade, I'll do that.
I was trying to recreate a picture I found that had an emerald cut solitaire with a princess cut channel eternity band that looked really nice IMO
So, it's either platinum extra or asscher extra and it's soundin like and looking like platinum would be best

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the picture that you are talking about? I love platinum but I sort of think you should go with what will help you
accomplish your vision. It's hard to say which way to go without us being able to "see" the compromise.

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures with my phone. I have a picture in my phone of an emerald cut solitaire with a channel princess cut eternity ring.

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
[/url Good grief, having heck of a time trying to post a picture, sorry

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! I really love the weight of platinum and the fact that it doesn't wear away like gold does. I would only want 90%platinum/10%iridium or 95%platinum/5%ruthentium as those are harder and scratch less easily that the softer 95plat/5iridium.

But here is a better explanation:

https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/platinum-vs-gold

Will the wedding band have princess cuts? Because I honestly really love carre cuts so much more with an emerald cut e-ring. These say asscher cut but if the corners are not cut, they are really carre cut.

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/Channel-Set-Asscher-Cut-s/1846.htm

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker! It means a lot coming from you! You think platinum and princess channel eternity ring then.
I ve gone in a way different direction since originally started but I'm confident this will wow my lady. This is going in the safe deposit box. We've been married 21.5 years and this will be here 25th anniversary gift. Reason I'm buying so early is to have paid off by the time I present it to her.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too favour carre cut over princess cut in the band, however, that's my personal preference as I am not keen on brilliant cuts in rings except for accent side stones.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with diamond seeker! I would do carre cuts. You can click on my name and see the carre cut band I had made to wear with my emerald cut anniversary ring- princess at nice but they aren't step cuts like carre cuts.

Edited to add and DK yes on the carre!

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
Oh, I'm confused!!! I just caught your link and I do agree , it looks vintage to me and Is beautiful. I like the extra bling of princess though! I may just upgrade the solitaire to platinum and hold off on the eternity ring

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
if you can afford it Platinum is nice. I love my platinum band on my Ering.......

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Love the channel set band.....with the EC

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
Was even thinking 2 eternity bands, 1 for each side,,,,makes her doubly mine right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chris79ta|1425255686|3840461 said:
Was even thinking 2 eternity bands, 1 for each side,,,,makes her doubly mine right?

No, that was popular for awhile, but most people here do not wear matching bands on either side of the engagement ring.

The princess cuts would be fine with a princess cut e-ring or even a radiant or other modern, small faceted stone. But emerald cut is totally different and I personally do not think princess cuts go with them at all. Carre cuts are step cuts like and emerald cut and go very well with them.

So yes for platinum, but I would switch to carre cuts for the band. And just one band. :))

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
Gotcha!!!
I was actually kin of kidding about the 2,,,wanted to throw in the "doubly mine" comment :)
I definitely couldn't afford 2.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintageinjune|1425234265|3840273 said:

Of course, I opted to have my last ring made in palladium because I didn't want the yellowing issues, or the heft of platinum, but many jewelers don't work with it and if it is done wrong will have durability issues.
I went with the cheaper route too. My ring is 500 fine palladium and will never need replating. I save about $3K compared to a PT ring.

img_7253.jpg

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
I think tension settings are SO COOL!!!
my wife probably wouldn't because of thick band but I think they're awesome looking

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
If you had to sacrifice one or the other, which would you? Platinum upgrade or carre/asscher eternity upgrade?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chris79ta|1425299642|3840661 said:
If you had to sacrifice one or the other, which would you? Platinum upgrade or carre/asscher eternity upgrade?

Not sure if I have missed it, however, what is your wife's current ring specification please?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Are you asking all of us? If wife hasn't specified and this is a surprise-
I think I personally would find a vendor who works in palladium (not all do) and do the carre eternity. Best of both worlds- a ring that will stay white and a step cut band.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum. Less upkeep and will hold up better over time. Esp with polishing. You won't lose metal with polishing like you do with gold. Also, far less likely to have any skin reaction to an alloy.

chris79ta

Rough_Rock
Hi, yes, asking everyone's opinion. My wife has no idea whatsoever. I want to surprise her with the ring I couldn't afford over 20 years ago but deserved

TrakHack

Rough_Rock
I'm in the minority here - I prefer white gold, and I prefer 14k over 18k.

I do not like the greyish patina platinum rings get, and if I want a more substantial l feel I can do a wider/thicker shank. I don't want a super thin shank regardless of the metal being used.

The reason I prefer 14k white gold is it will look less yellow than 18k when the rhodium plating wears off. I had a ring made last year in unplated 14k white gold, and I'm very happy with it. That it ends up being less expensive is nice, but the cost difference doesn't drive the decision for me.

If you have a jeweler who works with palladium that is certainly an option I would consider - there was no one local to me whom I would trust for repairs, so I didn't pursue it.

Oh, and for wearing two bands, one on each side of the ring? I like it, and I frequently do it. I am a big fan of symmetry, and I like having options - sometimes I like wearing a plain gold band in the middle of the other bands for a different look, or just one of the bands on their own. A band on each side helps when my hands are cold and the ring slides around a bit, too. I'm not much for being "on trend" when it comes to these kinds of things, though. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results