carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1424303750|3834577 said:
Has everyone given up on their new year's resolutions already? :blackeye: I'm talking to myself here. ..

I put on 3 pounds in the last two weeks, so I'm hoping to get rid of that and be back on my journey. Blargh.

Hi :wavey:

Just busy and sick. Feeling bloated and heavy. I think I'm up some. Not shocking given the ice cream.... (Tallenti gelato pops on clearance sale led to the discovery that they soothe my cough and help my icky stomach)

Yoga instructor no showed last week and the week before was no class. Been too sick to go outside or do much exercise.

Hmmmm... I'm at the grocery store. Getting lettuce for a nice lunch salad tomorrow.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm still here! Struggling with getting out to the gym in cold WNY, but slowly making progress. 31 lbs so far!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1424308390|3834610 said:
I'm still here! Struggling with getting out to the gym in cold WNY, but slowly making progress. 31 lbs so far!

This is awesome congrats on that much of a loss :appl: My weight loss has been very slow going..I am now at 15 lbs, the weekends are what slows me down..I get bored and eat :sick:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! It's been since September, but it's progress! I have about another 35-40 to go.

I know what you mean. I've slowed way down, between heading to the gym less, and just hiding from the cold. I don't want to do anything but hide in my cozy warm bed!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to find something to help me de-stress that doesn't involve eating.

Life is super stressful right now and I don't have time to go out and exercise or sit down and read or write every time I get stressed. (Let's put it this way -- DH has not been hired after lots of interviews, our first product to sell has been within a few days of ready to sell for the last month, we lose our health insurance in less than a month, we may or may not have life insurance (long story, trying to figure this out), unemployment is up next month, savings are rapidly shrinking, I just submitted my application to transfer into a highly competitive program at a university (that we'll have to figure out how to pay for if I get accepted), my finishing at the local college and going to the university hinges on my successfully completing this quarter and next, "A" has been an absolute nightmare recently, etc, etc ---- So stress is frequently very high.)

I've been trying to make time for a couple of extra walks during the day to help reduce the stress and get in a bit more exercise. It helps some.

Anyway, I know it will get better. I just have to keep going and not give in to my anxieties.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, I haven't checked this thread for a while and I am sorry you are going through such a rough time. Just do the best you can and when you feel the need to eat due to stress perhaps reach for something like air popped popcorn? Takes a while to eat and it has a satisfying crunch to it.

In the meantime, sending you and your dh lots of good luck dust for a successful interview that leads to a great job and for your university acceptance.

Just do the best you can regarding exercise. I find it helps me de-stress and something as simple and inexpensive as an exercise cycle (the Schwinn recumbent is a winner) so you can workout whenever you want at home.

Also, rainwood recommended holy basil capsules to me when I was under a lot of stress and while I only tried them once (I forgot I had them lol) I felt it was calming and she swears by them and I totally trust her. Maybe give it a try?

(((Hugs))) and tell A to behave herself!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I wanted to add good going to the rest of you! Woohoo! I am cheering you all on. I have to work on myself as well as I have been eating way too many cashews/almonds/walnuts each day. Probably about 10,000 calories a day of nuts and no one needs all of that nutrition lol. :oops:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone else have some f*cked up perception of their body? I lost over 30#. I haven't been this weight in over 4 years. Yet I put back 3# since my pageant, and I feel so obese and gross looking when I look at my pictures or wear my fitted clothing. NONE of my clothes fit anymore and I need a new wardrobe bc it's not just frumpy, it's falling off. Yet, again, I feel so disgusting.

Wasn't this all supposed to make me feel better and happier?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1424827319|3837734 said:
Does anyone else have some f*cked up perception of their body? I lost over 30#. I haven't been this weight in over 4 years. Yet I put back 3# since my pageant, and I feel so obese and gross looking when I look at my pictures or wear my fitted clothing. NONE of my clothes fit anymore and I need a new wardrobe bc it's not just frumpy, it's falling off. Yet, again, I feel so disgusting.

Wasn't this all supposed to make me feel better and happier?

Yes!

You'll get there! I loved looking at new pictures of me against old and seeing the difference. It was hard to deny the difference in the picture between the size 14-16 me and the size 6-8 me.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1424606173|3836359 said:
TooPatient, I haven't checked this thread for a while and I am sorry you are going through such a rough time. Just do the best you can and when you feel the need to eat due to stress perhaps reach for something like air popped popcorn? Takes a while to eat and it has a satisfying crunch to it.

In the meantime, sending you and your dh lots of good luck dust for a successful interview that leads to a great job and for your university acceptance.

Just do the best you can regarding exercise. I find it helps me de-stress and something as simple and inexpensive as an exercise cycle (the Schwinn recumbent is a winner) so you can workout whenever you want at home.

Also, rainwood recommended holy basil capsules to me when I was under a lot of stress and while I only tried them once (I forgot I had them lol) I felt it was calming and she swears by them and I totally trust her. Maybe give it a try?

(((Hugs))) and tell A to behave herself!

Thanks Missy!

I'll have to look into those capsules and give them a try. I'm currently taking a really good food based multi plus extra vitamin C and a bit of extra B12. It helps some.

We have an exercise bicycle but it needs repaired. I really should just order the part and grab myself a wrench. Worst case is it is broken and we can't use it (like it has been for the last almost 2 years) then get rid of it and buy one that works.

Popcorn has always made me gag. Not sure why but eh.
I have been loving a few Pop Chips on occasion but usually try to grab an apple or pile of broccoli or even just a nice hot cup of herbal tea. Hmmm..... I did used to love popcorn with a bit of herbs or something. May have to try that again!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP, exercise bikes are very reasonably priced these days and it might just be worth it to get a new one. If only to get you motivated in this freezing weather yanno? No way could I exercise outdoors right now! I got the Schwinn Recumbent 270 in Sept after I was able to start bearing weight and it was a lifesaver when I got back into working out after 4 months of not being able to do anything. It is very easy on the joints and has a little fan built in to keep you cool and you can also hook up your music to it. Anyway just in case you cannot get yours fixed this is something you might want to consider.

My dh likes Pop Chips but I am salt sensitive so though they are yummy they are too salty for me. Have you ever tried those rice rollers? They are a crunchy snack too. Not sure if you will like them but here is a link.
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Lane-Crunchy-Rollers-Ounce/dp/B00FGKJQPE

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't tried those! Will go look to find. I've done pretty well this week munching mixed baby green salad with tomatoes and nothing but a splash of balsamic for dressing. I can munch all I want and get stuffed before the calories add up to much.

The part is cheap and I love dismantling stuff so I'll try for fun. Sort of hoping it won't fix because I saw yours and loved it.

Cold weather? I won't rub it in, but here in the Seattle area we've been in the 50s and higher with lots of sun 8)
Just got back from a nice walk in the sun at the track. I've been watching the weather and it seems so crazy you guys are getting such cold and snow while our bulbs are up blooming and the trees are covered in blossoms.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
manderz|1424308390|3834610 said:

AWESOME job, young lady! :appl: :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1424827319|3837734 said:

Wasn't this all supposed to make me feel better and happier?[/quote]

Wherever you go, there you are.

Happiness is not a destination, or a goal, it's a decision. Decide to be happy.

Start by counting your blessings: You have the requisite number of limbs, reasonable health (which is getting better every day), a roof over your head, regular food, you can breath without assistance, walk without a cane, don't need a wheelchair, etc., etc. Geez, your "ordinary" life is the dream of thousands of people all over the world. :appl:

And you really should be proud of yourself. Look in the mirror and talk to yourself. You look gorgeous, and your body is feeling better and healthier every day. You are happy, because you deserve to be. And you are. Now go repeat all that in front of a mirror, while smiling, and see how much better you'll feel.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1424573002|3836251 said:
I need to find something to help me de-stress that doesn't involve eating.

Life is super stressful right now and I don't have time to go out and exercise or sit down and read or write every time I get stressed. (Let's put it this way -- DH has not been hired after lots of interviews, our first product to sell has been within a few days of ready to sell for the last month, we lose our health insurance in less than a month, we may or may not have life insurance (long story, trying to figure this out), unemployment is up next month, savings are rapidly shrinking, I just submitted my application to transfer into a highly competitive program at a university (that we'll have to figure out how to pay for if I get accepted), my finishing at the local college and going to the university hinges on my successfully completing this quarter and next, "A" has been an absolute nightmare recently, etc, etc ---- So stress is frequently very high.)

I've been trying to make time for a couple of extra walks during the day to help reduce the stress and get in a bit more exercise. It helps some.

Anyway, I know it will get better. I just have to keep going and not give in to my anxieties.

Keep moving, lady, it will get better. When you're going through hell, keep going.

Dust and hugs to you, I see good things coming soon! :appl:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doing better today. Had a big green salad for lunch with beans and a bit of cheese for protein. My pants are a bit snugger than they had been but are at least buttoning again. Need to face the scale again...

More salad with a bit of Turkey breast for dinner.

Really proud of myself for grabbing a cup of tea instead of the gelato I wanted earlier. I can do this!

Hope you are all doing well!

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
TooPatient
I'm glad your doing better today.
Joe

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Joe!

It has been a rough week with ups and downs. I fell a couple of times but think my choices were mostly healthy.

My 30th b-day was yesterday. Started very bad (brother in hospital, details in vent thread) had a bit of okay and ended with me getting a one bleed WHILE throwing up.

BUT my one mile walk was nice, the weather was gorgeous, I got a few new flowers, and met a new friend. I decide I didn't want a whole big cheesecake in the house so asked DH to just get a cupcake for each of us. So I had my one cupcake and don't have the temptation of leftovers.
Oh!!!! And "A" went out all by herself and found me a card and a box of chocolates. This is the first time she has ever done something on her own like this. They are not very good chocolates and I would rather not be eating a bunch of sweets, but she did this awesome thing so I will pull the box out every night and share until they are gone.

Off to work in my garden! There are weeds to pull and flowers to plant. The sun is out and it is already coming up on 60! Great way to burn calories and make pretty stuff :))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although it was a harrowing experience at the client site this week, i got to meet a colleague face to face for once. She's 50, fit and vibrant...I want to be her when I grow up! And we were in MIAMI! Tuesday I logged 6000+ steps on the Fitbit, and 8000+ steps on Wednesday. This was the breakthrough I needed from the crap eating during the holiday, DHs health scare mid January and closing on a new home stress. I just wasn't logging enough steps... Not even 2000 a day. Yes it's easy to succumb to a life of sofa sedentary blahness when you work from home, but I had been making the effort in the past and I had lost a pound a month... Down three, up 1-ish.

Trying to stay positive and keep this up!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1425697568|3843172 said:
Although it was a harrowing experience at the client site this week, i got to meet a colleague face to face for once. She's 50, fit and vibrant...I want to be her when I grow up! And we were in MIAMI! Tuesday I logged 6000+ steps on the Fitbit, and 8000+ steps on Wednesday. This was the breakthrough I needed from the crap eating during the holiday, DHs health scare mid January and closing on a new home stress. I just wasn't logging enough steps... Not even 2000 a day. Yes it's easy to succumb to a life of sofa sedentary blahness when you work from home, but I had been making the effort in the past and I had lost a pound a month... Down three, up 1-ish.

Trying to stay positive and keep this up!

She sounds awesome! Hope you are still getting your steps in. I know it is hard if you are home all day.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a kick in the butt.

Okay, so maybe I need this quarter to be over. I have been studying non-stop. Had a few days last week where I came in under 1000 steps. Been up late studying so missing the morning exercise group. No yoga one week followed by no-show instructor the next followed by my not bothering to go the week after (couldn't handle the institute's personality and habit of showing up late).... So almost a month of no Friday yoga.

So.........
Starting weight: 228
Current weight: 238 :nono:

Breakfast was yummy veggie/bean soup plus 2 oz cheese. Lunch was big leafy salad with more veggie/bean soup. Dinner was big leafy salad with yummy veggies and turkey breast.

Made a point of walking a mile this morning plus another half later.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone here use SparkPeople? I found them through a PSer a few years ago.

I Love it but don't take the time to track food every day anymore. Just a day here and there to check on my balance or if I try a New recipe to see the break down of nutrients.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I bought some protein powder today, to try out. One of my problems has been a lack or protein, I'm typically about half of what I should be eating per day. I stay within my calorie goals, but I eat like garbage. I need to change that. I'm going to try some smoothies. I tried one with frozen banana, milk, and this new powder, and man! I am clearing rooms :oops: :oops: :oops: It tasted good, though.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1426215856|3846431 said:
I bought some protein powder today, to try out. One of my problems has been a lack or protein, I'm typically about half of what I should be eating per day. I stay within my calorie goals, but I eat like garbage. I need to change that. I'm going to try some smoothies. I tried one with frozen banana, milk, and this new powder, and man! I am clearing rooms :oops: :oops: :oops: It tasted good, though.

I haven't tried protein powder. Will keep that in mind if I do try!

Have you tried an extra soft tofu in your smoothie? I love to do it with my fruit smoothies. Adds protein and even DH couldn't taste a difference.

Thin sliced turkey breast with your salad is another of my favorite ways to add in extra protein.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have not tried tofu, at all. Honestly, I'm VERY picky, and this is the main reason I'm overweight to begin with. It means that my nutrition is AWFUL. I'm working to improve it, but I don't even know what to do half the time. I'm using my fitness pal to help keep me on track and not going over calories, and not eating too may carbs, etc. I feel like I need to learn to eat all over again, though :oops:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did some detail watching of my calorie intake and found that I have been drinking 500-1000 calories per day!

Most of that from the chai I make at home. Each cup (20 oz) I do has about 370 calories. I usually have one but have been doing two per day several times per week...
Plus 3 oz wine each night.

So i decided to see what I can do about it! Pulled out the loose leaf and chai spice we have in the tea cupboard (just tea leaf and spices. No sugar) and made a super strong batch. Added to my hot almond milk and added just enough sugar to make it taste good. Came in at about 100 calories :appl:

Still going to stick to one a day or less but at 100 calories (and very little sugar) I can have that. At 370 I was going to have to really cut it back.

I love finding things like that so I can stick with the healthy change. Giving up all the yummy stuff is a good way for me to get frustrated and give up.

Hope you are all doing well!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to give everyone an update regarding my journey to a smaller more fit me. I started using the MyFitnessPal App again. I first used it about 2 1/2 years ago for a couple of months, but it is way more updated now. I put in my weight, exercise level and where I want to be. It then told me what my daily caloric intake should be in order to get to my desired goal. I have slowly been losing weight - healthily and happily. I don't have a scale and generally just measure my food or beverages with measuring cups. I leave notes for myself on the app like, Don't eat carbs after 4 and don't eat after 8. I found that even though I was staying within my suggested caloric intake, if I ate carbs after 4 I would gain weight, no matter what my caloric intake was. I also like how it gives you a little pie chart letting you know where you are nutritionally- i.e. too many carbs or not enough protein etc... It took me about 2 frustrating months to get to a point where I have a healthy plan for losing weight that works with my lifestyle. I also try to get a couple of extra days at the gym if I can (based on DH's work schedule- someone has to watch the boys when I go). On the days that I can't go to the gym I do some at home exercises that I found on Tumbler.

I also take advantage of DH's health coaches (offered by his job). His coach agreed that I was doing things the right way and gave me some advice.
1) Don't focus on weight loss and numbers because it is frustrating, it will come, but don't let that be your only focus.
2) Focus on feeling good. If you eat well, don't overeat, and exercise you will feel good.
3) Start noticing how your clothes are fitting you before you start looking at your weight. Due to increased exercise you will probably be building muscle and that weighs more than fat, but you will start to lose inches before you notice the weight loss that you desire.

This happened to me today: At Zumba, a woman that I haven't seen in about a month told me that I looked great and if I had lost weight! I have only lost a few pounds, but I am definitely more fit and I am pretty much always happy- just my personality.

I have been glancing at this thread every now and again, and I just want to encourage those of you who are going through hard times to stay strong (I know I only know you through PS, but I also pray for your situations to improve)! Even though it seems as though so many things are out of your control, your well-being/weight is something that you can control! And don't be so hard on yourself if you have an off day.

This is a great thread and I look forward to reading more of everybody's progress.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great work Crystal!

I've been pretty good about walking every day for a mile or more and have added in 10 minutes extra of cardio or strength on days i don't get an extra walk in.

Feeling better and a little movement on the scale (in the right direction).

Swamped with finals cominng up. Will be over on Tuesday.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I haven't had any progress over the past month, but I haven't been that good haha..I'm still down 10 lbs, but leaving for my vacation in less than a month, and I was hoping to be down at least twice this! Had some bad weekends, eating an ENTIRE pizza to myself..whoops... Haha. Anyways, March has been pretty good. I'm trying to obstain from alcohol, because a) calories, and b) I end up ordering a whole pizza when I get some wine into me! I've only drank one day this month (and it wasnt even st Patricks!), so I'm pretty proud of myself. We've been doing some make-ahead meal prep, which is nice. A while ago we bought a ton of those plastic glad containers, so we cook off a bunch of chicken, vegetables and make a stirfry with cabbage and portion it out. That way, when I want to order a pizza, its still less work to microwave a pre-made meal. Not as satisfying, but still tasty. Trying to be good until we leave for vacation, we'll see.

I've pretty much given up working out. I just hate it. I wish I could be one of those fit chicks who lives for going to the gym, but it's just not me! I think once I can get a handle on healthy eating I might try again. One thing at a time.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently turned 45 and I've noticed that my metabolism has really slowed down. It started when I was about 41, I gained a few pounds and each year I've gained more. I seem to be getting heavier monthly and it's really upsetting-- I was very slim until my early 40s. The good news is that I've made some important changes and I feel so much better! I don't think I've lost any weight yet but I think that will come, too.

I wasn't eating healthfully so I bought a NutriBullet. I actually bought it almost a year ago :oops: and finally dug the box out a few weeks ago to start using it. I fill it half way with either fresh spinach or kale, the other half with frozen fruit (banana, strawberries, orange, pineapple, blueberries), add some ground flax seed and wheat germ, fat free vanilla Greek yogurt for protein, and sweetened almond milk. I feel sooo much better. I can't believe I waited so long to try this; it's such an easy way to get fruit and vegetables into your diet!

I also joined a gym about a month ago. I'm going very slowly because in the past I've started exercise routines too quickly, hurt my knees and then gave up. So I do about 10 min of cardio followed by the weight lifting machines. Each week I do a little more and I feel really happy with my progress. As I said, I don't think I've actually lost any weight yet but feeling so much better is a huge improvement for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results