shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like the color of this sapphier ring?

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
I admit that I always want to buy a blue ring. here I found this ring from a booth in intergem from a famous Jadeite jeweler. His son lives Burma in gem trade, and he is jewelery designer resides in Seattle. He designs all his jewelry he sold.
The reason I brought from him is all his Jadeite pieces are high quality and reasonable priced.

The sapphire was so pretty in the store but once I got home under different lighting, the color seems changed to a bit dark.

The seller is very nice and promises me to do another customer ring if I am not 100% happy with that ring.

The spec of this center stone, Sapphire: 8x 6.5 mm, 3.01 Ct. Origin - Sri Lanka, it was from a old stock about 18 years ago without a cert, I would just assume it was heated at least.

16422342087_6dcd1e1cc5_k.jpg

More photos in the link below:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/melodypixlab/P74f4j/

in the flickr album, I took a lots of iphone shots outdoor and in the office with different lighting.

I would like to know what do you experts think? Is it a good color?
Thanks a lot.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
16015960144_503e591671_o.jpg

in Flickr, the photos can be seen in a much large size.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
I saw T L replied to the post. But why is not shown here?

Thanks T L, your comments made clear to me that my concern in valid.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! I know nothing about sapphires but for me it doesn't appear to black out which so many dark blues do if that is the shade you are looking for (but I am the worst at evaluating stones in pictures).

Actually, I know who the vendor is from your description. He was in the wholesale section for decades and only recently moved to the retail section. He designed the ring in my avatar and is the one who educated me on the history of paraibas. He made three similar rings from the same parcel - one for his mother and the one I bought. After I bought mine, he put the third one for sale - in fact, it was till there in December. (I recall thinking the stones aren't quite as saturated/neon though and he said mine had the better stones of the two).

(Gem show lighting can be misleading...I usually ask if I can take the ring outside,etc before buying if I have a question..but a lot of the vendors know me and some will even let me wear stuff around the show to comparison shop).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MelodySaw|1424831122|3837767 said:
I saw T L replied to the post. But why is not shown here?

Thanks T L, your comments made clear to me that my concern in valid.

I have a point not to comment on things that people already own and are not in their return period. Looking back at your original post, I wasn't sure if it was in a return period as you bought it at a gem show. Therefore, I hastily deleted my post. I'm sorry you saw my comments, but in light of what you said, I'm glad you found them helpful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with TL. If you cannot return the ring, then my opinion of the colour quality is moot point.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
lilmosun|1424836890|3837818 said:
Pretty ring! I know nothing about sapphires but for me it doesn't appear to black out which so many dark blues do if that is the shade you are looking for (but I am the worst at evaluating stones in pictures).

Actually, I know who the vendor is from your description. He was in the wholesale section for decades and only recently moved to the retail section. He designed the ring in my avatar and is the one who educated me on the history of paraibas. He made three similar rings from the same parcel - one for his mother and the one I bought. After I bought mine, he put the third one for sale - in fact, it was till there in December. (I recall thinking the stones aren't quite as saturated/neon though and he said mine had the better stones of the two).

(Gem show lighting can be misleading...I usually ask if I can take the ring outside,etc before buying if I have a question..but a lot of the vendors know me and some will even let me wear stuff around the show to comparison shop).

Thanks. I am glad to know someone had positive experience with the seller. I love your paraibas ring very much. I original just wanted to look at some jadeite pieces, I was not plan to spend any money.
Regarding the shade of blue, I think I prefer the lighter one.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL. I appreciate your comments and your honest opinion. I learn a lots from your regular posts.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1424868216|3837913 said:
I'm with TL. If you cannot return the ring, then my opinion of the colour quality is moot point.

Thanks Chrono, It is not refundable, but it can be exchanged or remade.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the exchange/remake only apply to the setting?
Do you love the stone or are you iffy about it?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the darker blues like your stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I love your stone. I love mysterious darker colors with brighter blue flashes like yours.

But most important is that you love it. If the vendor is very service minded you could perhaps ask him to for a refund or store voucher? It never hurts to try.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Color is 100% subjective to light, so while the color looked good to you under the vendor's light, the color will look different under EVERY different light source.
What lighting are you going to wear it in most of the time? This is where you need to make your decision.
It sounds like the vendor wants you to be happy, so you really can't lose.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1424882068|3838008 said:
Does the exchange/remake only apply to the setting?
Do you love the stone or are you iffy about it?
From our text message communication, I believe that he will work with me until I am happy. I could pick another ring or do a complete custom order.

I honestly don't know whether I like the color or not, under daylight, it is very pretty, but not so once under the light in my house.

Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an issue with the blue hue, tone nor saturation. What bothers me is the amount of extinction I see in almost all your pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MelodySaw|1424881281|3838001 said:
Thanks TL. I appreciate your comments and your honest opinion. I learn a lots from your regular posts.

You're welcome. In the end, you have to like it, not me. We can only offer opinions, and I'm 100% positive that not everyone likes my choices either. Good luck with your decision.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
PieAreSquared|1424892176|3838095 said:
Color is 100% subjective to light, so while the color looked good to you under the vendor's light, the color will look different under EVERY different light source.
What lighting are you going to wear it in most of the time? This is where you need to make your decision.
It sounds like the vendor wants you to be happy, so you really can't lose.

Thanks. I stay indoor most of time, so the stone is bit darker than what I like.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1424891238|3838089 said:
Personally I love your stone. I love mysterious darker colors with brighter blue flashes like yours.

But most important is that you love it. If the vendor is very service minded you could perhaps ask him to for a refund or store voucher? It never hurts to try.

I love your stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MelodySaw|1424917399|3838317 said:

I love your stone.

Thank you MelodySaw :wavey:
Have you contacted the vendor in the meantime and/or what you will do?

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1424990324|3838706 said:
MelodySaw|1424917399|3838317 said:

I love your stone.

Thank you MelodySaw :wavey:
Have you contacted the vendor in the meantime and/or what you will do?

Yes, we had a chat, and he is willing to find me another stone with better color in new setting, or I choose one from the batch I saw during the show.

He also told me that price of sapphire over 3 ct is rising ( about 1500/ct) and the one in my ring is from old stock with cheap price.

I am debating whether I just pick something I saw already from his inventory of gem jewelery , or buy another piece of Jadeite which I know a little bit more than other color stones.

Here is the photos from my last visit to his booth.

16028095653_b25b06a2bf_k.jpg

I like the big tourmaline cab, it is very clean.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
16470372570_87a67efe31_o.jpg
this is the ring first caught my eyes. but later I found there is visible inclusion at the side of the stone.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When is the next gem show in your area? I would confirm he will be there and ask if he can bring some alternatives. Then you can see them in person as well as compare to other items you are considering. Ask him if you can take whatever you decide around to look at it in other lights such as outside and take pictures (I find if it looks dark in a picture it may also in look that way in non optimal lighting). I do this all the time at gem shows.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well its normal for a sapphire or even diamond to look different under different lighting conditions after

This is typical of sapphires

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
lilmosun|1425017046|3838897 said:
When is the next gem show in your area? I would confirm he will be there and ask if he can bring some alternatives. Then you can see them in person as well as compare to other items you are considering. Ask him if you can take whatever you decide around to look at it in other lights such as outside and take pictures (I find if it looks dark in a picture it may also in look that way in non optimal lighting). I do this all the time at gem shows.

Thanks. He said he will be there .but I will be out of town.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results