shape
carat
color
clarity

Share side view of round brilliant setting

kelmel

Rough_Rock
PS Friends,
Please share side view pics of round brilliant settings. I am going to have a 2.10 rb diamond set in a 6 prong setting and would like to see how other rbs have been set. How visible is your culet? Is your culet set down in the setting or can you see light under your culet? Please share! Thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is mine from the side. It is a 4 prong head, my diamond is 1.52 and the cutlet barely clears the bottom.

img_7127.jpg

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is so simple and elegant!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Mine is like Marcy's in that it barely clears the bottom. It is 2.5 carats in a six prong setting.

img_7130.jpg

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Marcy: love that profile. So fluid and airy.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Not as ethereal as Marcy's or Sundial's, but it doesn't snag and looks pretty bombproof.

_27342.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love your profile Zizzy - very elegant!

kelmel

Rough_Rock
marcy and Sundial,

Do you like the culet being low to the bottom of the setting? Was this a personal preference? Also, is it easy to see (culet)? Can you see light under the culet?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelmel, I think you must have two threads asking the same thing. I don't think it is terribly important whether one can see the culet or not. What matters is what style setting a person likes best, and second, can all parts of the diamond be accessed with a brush to clean it. Sometimes rings with a basket setting can be harder to clean because of the side bars, whereas a 6 prong setting might make it easier to access the pavilion of the stone for cleaning. Having had both, I can tell you that my current setting is the easiest to clean the diamond. Mine is similar to Sundial's. I posted on the other thread.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1424667636|3836772 said:
Kelmel, I think you must have two threads asking the same thing. I don't think it is terribly important whether one can see the culet or not. What matters is what style setting a person likes best, and second, can all parts of the diamond be accessed with a brush to clean it. Sometimes rings with a basket setting can be harder to clean because of the side bars, whereas a 6 prong setting might make it easier to access the pavilion of the stone for cleaning. Having had both, I can tell you that my current setting is the easiest to clean the diamond. Mine is similar to Sundial's. I posted on the other thread.
Yup, I like basket settings but sometime they are PITB to clean...

_27402.jpg

dscn1574.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
kelmel|1424650516|3836667 said:
marcy and Sundial,

Do you like the culet being low to the bottom of the setting? Was this a personal preference? Also, is it easy to see (culet)? Can you see light under the culet?

In my case I let the jeweler (Brian Gavin Diamonds) set the stone as they felt appropriate and I think it is perfect. As Diamondseeker mentioned you just want to be able to clean it.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I like the side views of the rings, so many SMTB pics or other posted pics do not show the side view.
I am awaiting my new ring, and have asked them to set it "medium height" but really not sure where that will set the culet at with regards to the head itself...I may ask that question. I would like to be able to see it just a little, and have it barely clear the bottom.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had my stone reset in a Brian Gavin Tapered Tiffany and I asked for it to be set where the culet was just above the "V" between each prong, bec for me it's mandatory for the culet to be visible from the side. I like to see the entire stone, and I think it's easier for cleaning.

Here are some pics of mine, including a really bad macro one I tried to take with my camera not quite aligned right on the subject (the head isn't wonky)

Before this I had a Vatche Royal Crown. I had asked that it be set "high" and they refused. This is where it was set, and I always felt it was squatty.

accordingtoamebriangavin_tiffany5_0.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_sunnyhandshots2.jpg

accordingtoame_bgdring_macro2.jpg

sideviewonhand.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
ame,

Your thinking is my thinking! :) I really want to be able to see the culet above the "v". I have seen rings that do appear "squatty" simply because the culet was a little too low in the setting. I certainly don't want a "high" setting; however, my diamond is a beauty and I want to see it! I also would like to see the culet for peace of mind. If I can't see it because it is down in the setting, I am afraid it might drive me crazy.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pics! Now I'm trying to decide if I would like to change to 4 prong instead of 6...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results