shape
carat
color
clarity

How many times have you upgraded your E-ring..

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1424578474|3836283 said:
Oh boy, this is embarrassing. When I first came to PS, I was amazed at people upgrading stones and settings so often. Then I became one of them! :-o :lol:

Dohhhh...sounds like me too! :doh:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1424458044|3835518 said:
Rhea|1424456754|3835505 said:
monarch64|1424452410|3835457 said:
None, but I'm only married 3 years! If the day ever comes when I decide I like something more than what I already have, we will upgrade. I can't imagine limiting oneself to one ring for the rest of your life. I mean, you already make that commitment to the one you marry, you're not married to the ring! ;))

Will you have a talk with my husband, please? Upgrades and changing rings just isn't the done thing in his mind. If it breaks you just wear your wedding ring. The other day I mentioned getting another diamond engagement style ring after having left it alone for a while. I don't think I've mentioned it for well over 2 years. His reaction? Once you're married you don't need your engagement ring anyhow, no married woman wears her engagement ring except for occasions. He has proof - most of his friend's wife's don't wear their engagement rings any longer. DH wouldn't stop me from buying a ring, but it's not going to be an "us" thing like I'd want it to be so that takes some of the joy out of it.

LOL! I guess he should've married one of his friends' wives! They sound like well-behaved women who understand that the engagement ring is only meant to stave off other would-be suitors and once the wedding band is in place no one looks twice anymore because they know you are paid for! Now, go back me a pie, Rhea--get back in the kitchen where you belong!

:lol: I am being facetious, but what I wrote above is how men come off sometimes about this whole ring/engagement/marriage stuff. So old-fashioned and traditional. I think the issue here is that your husband, like many others, thought he was finished dealing with the e-ring and could put it out of his mind for the foreseeable future. Like, check it off the list and move onto the next big thing. So that's understandable. He'll have to get over it, though, if he wants to keep you happy. We all have to make compromises in marriage, and the sooner he figures that out, the better. Just start calling the new e-ring an "anniversary" ring. You need a new ring to celebrate the years of putting up with his nonsense arguments. :naughty:

Most people don't bat an eye at upgrading cars or houses so I don't understand why it's such an outrage to upgrade rings.

I had no problem committing to one man but I could never, ever commit to one ring.

I haven't upgraded yet but I've only been married 1.5 years and I did talk my hubby into two e-rings. :love: :saint: :halo:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
When we got engaged and I mentioned getting a ring he basically said, "What do you need that for?" After 7 years he did get me one that he picked out himself. He was sooooo proud of that ring. But I hated it. At the 14 year mark he gave me money to pick my own and I did! I actually picked a round solitaire and happily wore it for about 3 years and one day I was having the prongs checked and noticed a new ring in the jewelers case. It made me gasp out loud that's how gorgeous it was. I thought it must cost $10,000 it was so beautiful. But I just had to try it on...and I cried...because it was perfect! Perfect fit, perfectly beautiful, perfectly me! I just knew something that wonderful had to be too much for me, then I looked at the price tag and cried some more because it was $1800 dollars! After that I would often go "visit" my ring. And months later, on my birthday, my husband gave me that ring!!!! We put my new diamond in it and I will never change it. Buuuuuut :naughty: I am happily adding other shapes to my e-ring "wardrobe"...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three settings and two diamonds in 35 years.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Once but I'm shopping for a upgrade all the time. I can't decide what I want. I may keep the set I purchased in 2012, I still love it, but get an alternate set. I also wear my asscher sapphire with my wedding band as an alternate set.

Right now I'm considering an AVC or an MRB, then I would keep my EC.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well technically once as I lost my original ruby ring ;( but as I wear all my rings on that same finger everything thinks I've upgraded a LOT :lol: I just switch them each day depending on mood, what I'm wearing etc. Wedding band is original though and I'd never change that.

Timeline so far is:

Original ruby solitare 2006 - 2008 :love: My wedding was red & white themed as I love rubies so much.
Nothing 2008-2010 (yep those were the poor years folks... :(sad )
2010 - 2012 0.25ct princess cut diamond solitaire (suprise gift at Duntroon to make up for him being away most of the year LOL!)
2012 - 2013 Blue Topaz solitaire - my first custom CS ring.
2013 - 2014 Green parti-sapphire 5 stone ring (recently reset to solitaire) my favourite in my collection.
2014 - 2015 Honey Zircon 3 stone ring - serious bling factor.

2016 - 10 year anniversary...Hoping for something involving a purple asscher like this one! :naughty:

10yearanniversary.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvshinythings|1424705791|3836918 said:
monarch64|1424458044|3835518 said:
Rhea|1424456754|3835505 said:
monarch64|1424452410|3835457 said:
None, but I'm only married 3 years! If the day ever comes when I decide I like something more than what I already have, we will upgrade. I can't imagine limiting oneself to one ring for the rest of your life. I mean, you already make that commitment to the one you marry, you're not married to the ring! ;))

Will you have a talk with my husband, please? Upgrades and changing rings just isn't the done thing in his mind. If it breaks you just wear your wedding ring. The other day I mentioned getting another diamond engagement style ring after having left it alone for a while. I don't think I've mentioned it for well over 2 years. His reaction? Once you're married you don't need your engagement ring anyhow, no married woman wears her engagement ring except for occasions. He has proof - most of his friend's wife's don't wear their engagement rings any longer. DH wouldn't stop me from buying a ring, but it's not going to be an "us" thing like I'd want it to be so that takes some of the joy out of it.

LOL! I guess he should've married one of his friends' wives! They sound like well-behaved women who understand that the engagement ring is only meant to stave off other would-be suitors and once the wedding band is in place no one looks twice anymore because they know you are paid for! Now, go back me a pie, Rhea--get back in the kitchen where you belong!

:lol: I am being facetious, but what I wrote above is how men come off sometimes about this whole ring/engagement/marriage stuff. So old-fashioned and traditional. I think the issue here is that your husband, like many others, thought he was finished dealing with the e-ring and could put it out of his mind for the foreseeable future. Like, check it off the list and move onto the next big thing. So that's understandable. He'll have to get over it, though, if he wants to keep you happy. We all have to make compromises in marriage, and the sooner he figures that out, the better. Just start calling the new e-ring an "anniversary" ring. You need a new ring to celebrate the years of putting up with his nonsense arguments. :naughty:

Most people don't bat an eye at upgrading cars or houses so I don't understand why it's such an outrage to upgrade rings.

I had no problem committing to one man but I could never, ever commit to one ring.

I haven't upgraded yet but I've only been married 1.5 years and I did talk my hubby into two e-rings. :love: :saint: :halo:

From his perspective, as I understand it, changing or getting new ring doesn't make it an engagement ring. An engagement ring is tied to that one moment in your life where an agreement to marry was made and a ring or token of affection given. Like a wedding is one day. You can re-do the ceremony if you so wish, but that doesn't make it a wedding. For this reason, in his mind, the engagement ring is a one shot deal. He simply doesn't understand upgrading, the want to change or replace what was given in love at that one moment which can never be repeated or recaptured...unless someone invents a time machine. It's both sweet and irritating. And it is sweet. How many of us have awww'ed at a story about a now wealthy woman who still wears her original small engagement ring after decades married to the love her life.

DH & other jewellery? Sure! But no engagement ring upgrades. (Disclaimer: I'm yet to prove this theory in any substantial way, we're saving for a flat at the moment.) I've started going the anniversary route, thanks! I'm still stupidly torn between the wanting him to participate but knowing that that means compromise or just buying myself something. It turns out I'm one of those women who wants to be able to say that my husband gave it to me. I frustrate myself.

Iluvshinythings - There's definitely no outrage. I don't have a commitment to one ring either :) I have two diamond rings and two wedding rings. Only one of the diamond rings is an engagement ring, both the wedding rings are actual wedding rings - I became smarter between the engagement and wedding! The second diamond ring is something I bought myself and smaller than the engagement ring.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
I have not, as my Ering is a point of contention between hubs and I.
The center diamond is from his great great aunt (OMC 0.76CT) in a three stone setting that I said at first "this is what I don't want, I like but don't want" ( I am a RN in ICU and PACU and want to wear my rings everyday so things that stick out not practical). We ended getting that setting because well I caved and it is pretty but gets in the way. I love it but not the most practical. Talking resetting might be a thing since his mom had hers reset a few times ( good for me otherwise hubs would have said nobody does that!).
But I got an amazing RHR for our tenth anniversary( 2.335 ct AGS N OEC just like I like!) And I wear it to work.
:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results