shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought on this ruby pair.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I have been looking for a pair of ruby for a stud earrings for quite some time. What do you think of these rubies? They are selling for a ~ $1000. I know they have a big window and I plan to send them to Jerry for a recut if I buy it. Do you think this is a good deal? What do you think of the color&saturation? Thanks!

tcw: 2.00
size: 5.2 x 7

ruby1.png

ruby2.png

ruby3.png

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I like the color and saturation, but have you seen them in different lighting? The pictures looks they are eye clean, but to gauge whether you land a good deal, we have to talk about treatments, origin, clarity, lab reports, etc, which you might want to read in the sticky section.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
Thanks eastjavaman. The rubies are from Tanzania. I am still waiting for the reply from the seller regarding the gems treatment. I am also debating about lap report too. The seller won't send for the lab test but they will refund if it turn out to be not as described.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
I understand that the stones might not be feasible for lab report, but easiest test question would be "is the seller a reliable one?"

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I suggest asking the vendor for the depth measurement of each stone and then (before purchase) email Jerry with the mm dimensions, pics and item listing so he can give an opinion as to whether these are too shallow to be good recut candidates.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
@Thanks marymm. It's funny how I've just finished doing that a few minutes ago! The depth was listed by the seller, I just forgot to put it up here.... it's about 2.8 mm.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
Never mind! I just got a response from Jerry. These were cut too shallow that with a recut I will loose a lot of the stone width & length. I know there's gotta be a drawback somewhere for this stone. T^T

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Good move passing on these.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
I just received reply from the seller, turn out that the gems are Be treated. Now I can happily passing on these without regret. Yay! Although I am back to looking for other pairs... Does anyone has any suggestions? Thanks!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1424197216|3833916 said:
You budget is unrealistic for a heat only, clean, nice red colour 2ct total weight pair.
Ditto. You need to decide which C you are willing to sacrifice.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
Thanks LoversKites and Chrono for the suggestions. I totally agree that $1000 for top ruby is unrealistic. $1000 is not my fixed budget though, I just found those gems and thought that I might've scored a good deal since it is from an oversee seller(seemed reputable). 3K is the max I am willing to spend on these. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What is it that you want exactly? Ruby specifically or just a red stone?

Also, please don't depend on recuts to make stones into what you want, recutting is actually quite risky. I had it explained to me once by a cutter that if you look for a stone to be recut, it should be at least 6mm deep, but that depends on the rest of the dimensions of the stone in question.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JiJi|1424053798|3833224 said:
Never mind! I just got a response from Jerry. These were cut too shallow that with a recut I will loose a lot of the stone width & length. I know there's gotta be a drawback somewhere for this stone. T^T

Yes, too shallow.

To be honest, I've seen spessartites (a type of garnet) in a similar color. I wouldn't waste all that money on two very shallow rubies with brick red color. Rubies should be more red than those if you're paying for the ruby provenance. If you like the brick red color, check out some reddish spessartites. They'll be a lot more affordable.

Here's an example of a reddish spessartite.

spessartite-garnet-gem-145419a_1_.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1424218912|3834119 said:
JiJi|1424053798|3833224 said:

Yes, too shallow.

To be honest, I've seen spessartites (a type of garnet) in a similar color. I wouldn't waste all that money on two very shallow rubies with brick red color. Rubies should be more red than those if you're paying for the ruby provenance. If you like the brick red color, check out some reddish spessartites. They'll be a lot more affordable.

Here's an example of a reddish spessartite.

Good advice.

To those who have seen nice quality red spess, is the colour quite bright like so many photos suggest, or more dark like typical garnets?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LK, it just depends on the quality of the rough. Some spess can be yellow, some can be brown, some can be red, etc etc etc. Varying tone, saturation levels across the board just depend on chemical composition. :read:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1424289043|3834467 said:
To those who have seen nice quality red spess, is the colour quite bright like so many photos suggest, or more dark like typical garnets?

Tone, in this case, can vary, but I have seen ones with medium to medium dark tone, not enough not to go overly dark like a typical red family garnet.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ElleW said:
LK, it just depends on the quality of the rough. Some spess can be yellow, some can be brown, some can be red, etc etc etc. Varying tone, saturation levels across the board just depend on chemical composition. :read:

TL|1424440656|3835314 said:
LoversKites|1424289043|3834467 said:

Tone, in this case, can vary, but I have seen ones with medium to medium dark tone, not enough not to go overly dark like a typical red family garnet.

Ty for your answers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with spessartite in this case is that even as red as it is, in some lights it will always be on the orange side of red. If you don't mind that, then its a good alternative, assuming you stick to medium tone so it doesn't go darker in fluorescent lighting.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1424460787|3835551 said:
The problem with spessartite in this case is that even as red as it is, in some lights it will always be on the orange side of red. If you don't mind that, then its a good alternative, assuming you stick to medium tone so it doesn't go darker in fluorescent lighting.

Thanks MB. I'd love to see slightly orangey red spess and spinel together. I wonder how differently they'd look and perform.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1424460787|3835551 said:

Thanks MB. I totally agreed with that. I did check out red spess per TL suggestion and like some of them at first but I've seen that in almost all of them in some angles/light they are too orangey for what I am looking for. I actually prefer the color of red spinel more but the price of nice quality of red spinel are pretty close to ruby that I think I'll just pay a bit more for ruby.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I just wanted to give you all an update. I finally decided to get a red mahenge spinel pair instead of ruby. This is the pair I decided on.

I can't wait for the gems to arrive! I hope they are what I'm looking for, considering I have never seen actual red spinel before...maybe I did but never know they are spinel.lol.

red_spinel2.png

red_spinel1.png

red_spinel4.png

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Are these from starruby.in? please tell us how the spinels are IRL, few PSers have purchased from there and it'd be helpful to know how accurate their photos are in this case.

JiJi

Rough_Rock
Yes, they are from starruby.in. I found this particular pair was put on sale this week, so I just can't resist.
When they arrive, I will take tons of photos and post here :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
JiJi said:
Yes, they are from starruby.in. I found this particular pair was put on sale this week, so I just can't resist.
When they arrive, I will take tons of photos and post here :)
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results