shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help: Mysterious black pinpoint in diamond

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am new to Pricescope but have been reading through the very helpful/interesting forum posts. I'm hoping someone can help explain to me what this mysterious black needlepoint is that I see in the face of my round diamond at times depending upon the light. I have attached some photos, along with the GIA report. The diamond is 2.5 carats, "very good" cut, E color SI2, however it has no carbon inclusions anywhere on the face, according to the report. Also, when viewed under a loupe, you cannot see any black inclusions on the face. What could this black spot be? A reflection of some sort?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Best regards,

Nicole

_27469.jpg

_27470.jpg

_27471.jpg

_27472.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you given it a good cleaning to see whether it goes away?

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono,

Yes, I have the ring cleaned almost every month in an ultrasonic cleaner (and then it is steamed). The pinpoint is still always there afterward.

Best,

Nicole

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably just a crystal or tiny carbon pinpoint that wasn't on the clarity plot. They don't always plot every single tiny inclusion.

JL321

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425053885|3839163 said:
Probably just a crystal or tiny carbon pinpoint that wasn't on the clarity plot. They don't always plot every single tiny inclusion.

It's noticeable from the pictures and if pictures can pick it up they should have included it in the plot :think: It would be a bad mistake on the grader's part.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JL321|1425054863|3839176 said:

It's noticeable from the pictures and if pictures can pick it up they should have included it in the plot :think: It would be a bad mistake on the grader's part.

Unless Todd Gray is wrong, I believe your assumption is incorrect:

"Note that most gemological laboratories only indicate the primary inclusions which are considered to be the basis for the clarity grade and do not attempt to indicate all of the inclusions within the diamond."

http://niceice.com/diamond-clarity-characteristics/

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Are there any additional clarity notes?

'Pinpoints are not shown' or other?

Can you upload an image of the other half of the GIA cert (remove the number, if you must).

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Sure, Rocky. I've attached the other half of the report. The only other comments refer to additional twinning wisps.

Thanks again.

_27508.jpg

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts, DiamondSeeker and JL.

I should maybe mention the photos were taken at full zoom on my iPhone. The pinpoint is just barely visible to the naked eye (at least, I can see it because I know where to look).

JL321

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425055678|3839186 said:
JL321|1425054863|3839176 said:

Unless Todd Gray is wrong, I believe your assumption is incorrect:

"Note that most gemological laboratories only indicate the primary inclusions which are considered to be the basis for the clarity grade and do not attempt to indicate all of the inclusions within the diamond."

http://niceice.com/diamond-clarity-characteristics/

Ohhh I see. I meant I thought it was primary enough that it should've been included. How long have you had this ring?

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
I've had the ring since August 2014, which is when I got engaged. I noticed the pinpoint a week or so after I received the ring (I couldn't stop inspecting how beautiful the diamond was up close--it is very sparkly), but I decided not to say anything to my fiance about it since I know he spent a lot of time searching for the "right" ring, and he spent a lot of money on it.

That being said, I've always wondered what the little dot might be, and I thought Pricescope might be a great resource to turn to before saying anything to our jeweler.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Nicole,
Is it possible for you to get a picture in focus, then use Photoshop to draw an arrow to what you're seeing?
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to.
In general- I've never seen a GIA report that did not plot any crystal, or feather type of imperfection which was easily visible with a 10X loupe- or even one that took some effort to find with the loupe.
The issue with using plots to evaluate imperfections in diamonds is that sometimes marks on the plot that look really bad are insignificant in real life ( eye clean SI2) and sometimes something which looks tiny on the report can be seen with the naked eye.
Sometimes a stubborn piece of gunk on the pavilion can appear as a spot in the middle of the diamond.

I love the specs of your stone on the face of it.
Super high color, lower clarity, VG cut grade and strong blue.
In the best of cases, the stone will be super bright, eye clean, and cost half what a VVS2 no blue XXX costs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it the one I circled in red?

_27515.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would say that characteristic should be plotted. The twinning wisps may be the primary grade setters but a crystal or knot or cavity that prominent would be plotted.

Can you tell if it is a surface feature or internal? Did you have the diamond independently verified after purchase? There is an outside chance of a mismatch between diamond and cert.

If it is some sort of surface blemish like a chip or bruise, it could have happened after the report was done. Sometimes surface feature can look dark in some lighting.

Bottom line, you should probably have it looked at by a good independent gemologist so that you know for sure what you are dealing with.

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono,

Yes, what you've circled is what I'm referring to.

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
The diamond is in fact very beautiful and eye clean except for that small pinpoint, which is admittedly very difficult to see and nearly impossible to notice in most lighting. Very sparkly and bright indeed.

The pinpoint appears internal -- as if it's floating in the middle of the diamond.

My concern is that maybe my fiancé wasn't given the stone he actually purchased. I believe this is highly unlikely given the fact that we used a reputable jeweler that was referred to us by a family friend. However, now that we're looking at wedding bands I am questioning whether we should continue to use the same jeweler.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nicole0985|1425076062|3839373 said:
The diamond is in fact very beautiful and eye clean except for that small pinpoint, which is admittedly very difficult to see and nearly impossible to notice in most lighting. Very sparkly and bright indeed.

The pinpoint appears internal -- as if it's floating in the middle of the diamond.

My concern is that maybe my fiancé wasn't given the stone he actually purchased. I believe this is highly unlikely given the fact that we used a reputable jeweler that was referred to us by a family friend. However, now that we're looking at wedding bands I am questioning whether we should continue to use the same jeweler.
Just based upon what can be seen in the photos and with the assumption that the black spot is internal, I would say it is possible that it is not the stone in the cert and you should get that checked out. There is no reason to change jewelers unless you find out there is a problem. Try calling an appraiser that has no connection with the original jeweler and ask them if they will do a low cost simple verification for you.

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, TexasLeaguer. I think I will make an appointment with an appraiser. In order to confirm the stone is the same as the one in the certificate, will it need to be taken out of the ring mounting? Or can it be evaluated as mounted?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nicole0985|1425077193|3839387 said:
Thanks for the advice, TexasLeaguer. I think I will make an appointment with an appraiser. In order to confirm the stone is the same as the one in the certificate, will it need to be taken out of the ring mounting? Or can it be evaluated as mounted?
It does not need to be taken out of the mounting for verification. The stone in the certificate has a number of very identifiable characteristics including strong blue fluorescence. Should be an easy verification. You should not get charged for a full appraisal. Some appraisers might even do it as a courtesy to introduce you to their services, but that should not be expected. They have overheads and expertise that they have a right to charge for.

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Gotcha. Thanks again everyone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the strong blue fluorescence? If you can get hold of a little UV light, that certainly would confirm that part.

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Great idea, DiamondSeeker! I stopped by the hardware store on my way home and bought a black lightbulb--see attached photo. This looks like pretty strong fluorescence to me! Actually I found this to be pretty cool, as I'd never seen my ring under a black light before.

I think I will still visit an appraiser, however, to find out about the black pinpoint.

_27521.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unusual for a stone of this size w/o INSCRIPTION on the girdle, however it does show blue fluorescence.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Bryan- having it checked out by visual inspection as well as measurement
I don't believe it's some sort of damage.
One possibility is that something is stuck to the table. Did you try using your nail to "feel" the table facet to make sure its not something on the exterior.
Do you have a loupe?

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion, Rockdiamond. I don't have a loupe, but as far as I can tell, the table facet is totally clean (with nothing stuck to it). I have my ring cleaned often with a sonic cleaner, and the pinpoint is still visible even after the cleaning. As I mentioned in an earlier post, to my untrained eye it appears internal--as if it's floating in the center of the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! I love fluorescence and I am glad at least you confirmed that! So it must be that the pinpoint was not included on the report unless the wrong fluorescent diamond the same size as yours was set! That seems unlikely, so anyway, you do have a little birthmark to recognize your stone when you leave it for cleaning or repairs! That is not a bad thing since it is tiny and not easy to see!

Nicole0985

Rough_Rock
I agree, diamondseeker. As a matter of fact, every time I get my ring back after a cleaning, I do always look for that little point, to make sure the stone is mine! Thanks, again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results