shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Buying diamond online from www.bestbrilliance.com

melissa8585

Rough_Rock
Hello!!

I have been looking on Ebay for a loose diamond for an engagement ring. I have come accross what seems to be a reputable supplier. "Best Brilliance" is the name. They have over 2000 possitive feedback, member since 2007, are a power seller. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. I have read all the reviews. They are all from different people and all different sized diamonds.

Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.ca/bestbrilliancediamonds/

I have fallen in love with this .70 G Color VS1 Ideal cut diamond for $1420 US. This is not clarity enhanced in anyway.

http://www.bestbrilliance.com/diamonds/product/diamond/id/4581

Plan is to get it appraised by a jeweler right away and have them send it to GIA to be certified and enscripted.

Honest thoughts please!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
melissa8585|1424888631|3838073 said:
Hello!!

I have been looking on Ebay for a loose diamond for an engagement ring. I have come accross what seems to be a reputable supplier. "Best Brilliance" is the name. They have over 2000 possitive feedback, member since 2007, are a power seller. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. I have read all the reviews. They are all from different people and all different sized diamonds.

I have fallen in love with this .70 G Color VS1 Ideal cut diamond for $1420 US. This is not clarity enhanced in anyway.

Plan is to get it appraised by a jeweler right away and have them send it to GIA to be certified and enscripted.

Honest thoughts please!
What recourse will you have in the likely event the diamond does not come back from GIA with the grading that is being represented?

There is probably a reason why the diamond does not already have a lab report. The seller's Certificate of Authenticity is not actually a diamond certificate as is indicated by the listing. And there is no such thing as a "licensed GIA Gemologist expert" as is stated on the document. Both are attempts to misguide consumers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot get a well cut .70 G VS1 for $1400, so I would say be very, very wary. I would not personally ever buy a diamond without the GIA report because you have no idea what you are getting. And if the vendor is misrepresenting the diamond in the listing (which he is), I certainly wouldn't want to buy from them. I could show you a whole page of diamonds that are .70 G VS1, and they will be far more than $1400.

Use this search tool and diamonds from several vendors should come up. Click GIA for grading report and Excellent for cut. We could help you narrow down some stones if you want. But I advise you to avoid ebay for a diamond purchase and definitely any diamonds that are not GIA or AGS graded.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results

melissa8585

Rough_Rock
I believe getting a GIA certificate does not take any longer than 20 days at most. There is a 30 day money back guarantee. I am also paying through PayPal so if it isn't the diamond I think I am getting, I do have recourse through PayPal.

They have over 2000 possitive reviews and have been in business since 2007.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
melissa8585|1424900482|3838180 said:
I believe getting a GIA certificate does not take any longer than 20 days at most. There is a 30 day money back guarantee. I am also paying through PayPal so if it isn't the diamond I think I am getting, I do have recourse through PayPal.

They have over 2000 possitive reviews and have been in business since 2007.
It's good that you have done your due diligence on the company as that might be a tight timeline for you if you want to make a return.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Did you research this company?

All they sell are clarity-enhanced stones.

From their website:
We have "expertise in the field of clarity enhanced diamonds, we have provided the highest quality diamonds to jewelers and jewelry dealers across the globe for over 40 years"

There is a reason the price seems too good to be true - it is.

You'd be better served working with a reputable vendor.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is priced higher in the eBay listing. If you purchase this stone from the web site in order to get a lower sale price, you only have 3 days in which to decide whether you're keeping it. Note too that the web site listing does not represent that the stone is not clarity enhanced, although that representation is made on the eBay listing page.
http://www.bestbrilliance.com/terms-conditions/

Think PayPal is a viable recourse only if (a) you buy the stone via the eBay listing, and (b) the stone turns out to be -- contrary to their representation on the eBay listing page -- clarity enhanced. Any other differences between their so-called Certificate of Authenticity & a GIA lab report would be of little consequence in a PayPal dispute since this outfit isn't claiming that the stone comes with a GIA lab report with any particular grading classifications on it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They appear to be keeping the bit about clarity enhancement on the back pages.
This is from their FAQ: http://www.bestbrilliance.com/faq/
What are enhanced diamonds and do you sell them?
Diamonds can be enhanced or treated in a number of ways. The goal generally is to improve clarity. We do sell treated diamonds. But all of our diamonds are naturally earth mined, and you can and should ask for a copy of your diamonds’ certification.
How are diamonds clarity enhanced?
We use technologically advanced laser enhancing and filling. No visible trace is left behind, and no weight is added. These enhanced diamonds are 100% natural diamonds that are genuine but with improved clarity. Value is increased but with a lower price than non-enhanced gems.
How do I know I will receive what I ordered?
We send an independent GIA, EGL, or IGL lab report with each shipped diamond. The “diamond certificate” can be reviewed by a gemologist and analyzed against the unique qualities of your diamond.
So, just what are these GIA, EGL, or IGL certificates?
Each certificate details each peculiar characteristic of any diamond. These certificates result from the highest standards of diamond grading.

They state that a lab report is supplied with each diamond shipped. You might want to ask them to send you a copy of your certificate before it is shipped.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MollyMalone|1424903944|3838215 said:
FWIW, the eBay listing for this particular stone does aver under the Treatment subheading: Not Enhanced:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-70-Ct-G-C...613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46338a2e85
Would be interesting to find out if they'll stick their neck out and affirm -- via a response to a message sent via eBay's own mail system -- that this is not a clarity-enhanced stone.
Better yet, just ask them to email a copy of the lab report that they say comes with each diamond they ship (GIA, EGL, or IGI).

* GIA does not issue certificates on clarity enhanced diamonds, but I think EGL and possibly IGI do.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FWIW, the eBay listing for this particular stone does aver under the Treatment subheading: Not Enhanced:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-70-Ct-G-C...613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46338a2e85
Would be interesting to find out if they'll stick their neck out and affirm -- via a response to a message sent via eBay's own mail system -- that this is not a clarity-enhanced stone.
Oh, I see what you mean. For the ability to seek potential remedy through paypal it would be good to have that specific representation going through paypal communications system. You know your stuff Molly!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This seller has majorly boosted their positive feedback by selling a huge number of items from 1 cent to $2.00. The few more expensive things do have good feedback, but that indicates to me that the people who ordered them either did not understand about clarity enhanced or just didn't care. He has a revised feedback number of 16, meaning 16 neutral or negative reviews have been removed.

This is just a yikes moment thinking about someone paying thousands of dollars for this :errrr: :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-Ct-F-SI2-Enhanced-Round-Natural-Certified-Loose-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/391023168235

(you have to hover over the photo and magnify it)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

So, as an experiment, I tried to post a diamond on eBay to see what the options were under the 'Treatment' subheading.

Turns out this subheading does not exist and is actually just part of the vendor's listing.

You'll notice the subheading 'Diamond Origion,' which is an error eBay would never make.

My thinking is that they will say that the stone is not Treated, per se (not HPHT treated is what they mean) - it is merely laser-drilled and filled. The vendor would not claim these are 'Treatments,' making this, as far as eBay is concerned, taking into account the volume this seller does, a valid listing.

Again - run far away from this vendor and find a reputable one using the PS list.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1424905561|3838227 said:
So, as an experiment, I tried to post a diamond on eBay to see what the options were under the 'Treatment' subheading.
Turns out this subheading does not exist and is actually just part of the vendor's listing.
You'll notice the subheading 'Diamond Origion,' which is an error eBay would never make.
My thinking is that they will say that the stone is not Treated, per se (not HPHT treated is what they mean) - it is merely laser-drilled and filled. The vendor would not claim these are 'Treatments,' making this, as far as eBay is concerned, taking into account the volume this seller does, a valid listing.
Again - run far away from this vendor and find a reputable one using the PS list.
That's so interesting, Rocky, because one of the check-box filters that eBay itself proffers when you're doing a search for loose diamonds is Enhanced Natural Diamonds. (I've been on eBay since 2000 but always as a buyer, never a seller, so have never drawn up a listing of any kind.) Seems to me that claiming laser-drilling and fracture-filling is not a "treatment" or "enhancement" wouldn't save Best Brilliance in a dispute since GIA dubs these -- not just HPHT -- as enhancing treatments:
http://gia4cs.gia.edu/EN-US/lad-diamond-treatments.htm

But lest our OP believe I think it might be worth it for her to pursue the purchase, I'll hasten to say that's a LOUSY idea!!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP

2 points:

1. There are no deals on diamonds, you get what you pay for.

2. People on this for are telling you to walk away from this deal, its your coin, do what you want. You came to the forum to get advice, now you have gotten it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RockyRacoon|1424905561|3838227 said:

But it does say "Not Enhanced" in the ebay listing (as opposed to "not treated"). I don't know how they would be able to spin that if the diamond turned out to be clarity enhanced. They wouldn't be able to use the old 'it depends on what the meaning of "is" is' defense :wink2:

I will say that if it takes us this long to figure out what they are actually selling, that's not a comforting thing. Also, in addition to the lack of transparency, there are other statements that are incorrect and misleading, just in the snippet of FAQ posted earlier. For instance, "We use technologically advanced laser enhancing and filling. No visible trace is left behind". The term is laser "drilling" and the filling part leaves behind, well, "filler". And that is something that can normally be seen and identified by a good gemologist using a loupe or microscope. As far as this goes "These enhanced diamonds are 100% natural diamonds" - by definition if they are filled they are not 100% natural.

It is pretty clear that this site is dedicated more to consumer confusion than to consumer protection.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
melissa8585|1424888631|3838073 said:
Hello!!

Honest thoughts please!
Honestly??...Don't waste your $$$... :wall:

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Honestly??...Don't waste your $$$... :wall:

I agree. The listing when compared to feedback, website, etc. leaves room for some serious questions (to say the least). If it were me, I would choose to spend my hard earned money for something that would be more 'mind clean'.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SO glad you are open to looking some more! We know of diamond sellers with testimonials here of people who have had good experiences and that is going to be your best bet.

I am going to suggest that you look at sites that have GIA graded diamonds with pretty low prices (the first two especially), and all provide photos extra images on some of their stones. There are some other outstanding vendors who sell top of the line stones, but to maximize your budget, I would recommend starting here:

B2C Jewels

Enchanted Diamonds (stick with cut scores of 97-100)

James Allen

Look for GIA Excellent cut. You can easily go down to I color and SI1 clarity in a well cut stone and it will be beautiful. If you post some options here, we can help you if you want to start a new thread. Try to stick with diamonds that at least have photos of the stone provided.

To give you a little head start, here are some parameters that will help you find some of the better cut stones:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

simon123

Great advice Diamondseeker. This is priceless information and wish I knew this on my first diamond purchase.

melissa8585

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advise!! I have made a new post with diamonds I am interested in... Some insight on each one would be very helpful.

Thanks again!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
judith2000|1442385773|3928309 said:
Fair enough. Although I know plenty of people who prefer the savings of enhanced diamonds even knowing that they're valued differently. After all, Yehuda Diamonds is huge... (http://www.yehuda.com/)
If you ever try to sell it you couldn't give it away. They are cheaper for a reason.

bestbrilliance-Guy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dear Pricescope Members,

We take our customers very seriously and we listen to their complaints. The vast majority of our customers are very happy with our products and services. Our refund and return policy is very clear and we examine any complaint to keep with our high standards and improve our services.

We will be more than Happy to hear your comments and find ways to improve our business.

Respectfully,
Guy M.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results