shape
carat
color
clarity

Priced right or overpriced? please help

jamesj

Rough_Rock
Please help, my girl has fallen in love with this ring. Please advise if based on the picture and discription below if it's priced right or I should negotiate? US $3,875.00 - any advise greatly appreciated - my first post hopefully I choose the right topic area to post, James.

ring_130.jpg

Post 1950, from PLATINUM. The ring is centrally bezel-set with 1 NATURAL GREEN EMERALD that weighs approx. .80 ct. This emerald is a FACETED OVAL SHAPE with BEAUTIFUL COLOR & CLARITY that measures approx. 6.9 x 5.5 x 3.66 mm. The ring is detailed with 62 SINGLE CUT DIAMONDS of G to J color, VS to I clarity that weigh approx. 1.20 ctw. All of the diamonds are in the .01 - .04 ct range. The ring measures 11/16” long on the finger by 13/16” at the widest point. The ring size is a 7 and the total weight is 4.6 grams.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
try posting in colored stones area, may be you'll get more replies from those expert posters.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Others can give their opinion about the setting and price, but about the emerald, I think it could be synthetic (they've been around for a long time, were quite popular in the past and can come with inclusions resembling natural ones).

If it's natural, I'm not sure when they started being treated beyond oiling which is an ancient treatment. The colour is on the light side and should be priced as such.

I think you should as to move the thread to the CS section if you want more opinions on the emerald (click of 'report concern' and ask the mods for the thread to be moved)

Lovely ring.

jamesj

Rough_Rock
Thanks to you both - I requested it be moved to CS - but anyone see's this and has the rights to move over to colored stones I'd appreciate it...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one can tell from that picture about whether the emerald is synthetic or natural or how much treatment it has. It would cost close to that much to have that platinum setting made today, so if it is in excellent condition, it may be worth the price especially if the emerald is natural. I think it is a gorgeous ring, but I would not buy something that expensive without a return policy. That way you can take it to an independent appraiser and be more certain of whether it is a good buy or not.

I will tell you that I bought one item from that seller before, and the pictures are very flattering to the item. So it may or may not look as great in person. Also, what is her ring size? Because that ring shouldn't be sized a large amount. One more thing, this is not for an engagement ring is it? Because emeralds are not durable enough for daily wear rings.

jamesj

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 - thank you for the reply

Yes engagement, however the plan is to replace the Emerald with a quality diamond and then have a matching neckless made with Emerald mouted.

Her ring size is 5 and this is size 7 - is that a deal breaker?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it is impossible to say whether it is synthethic or natural.

This kind of emerald is found in Columbia - I posted a picture comparing two emeralds with some Paraiba. I like them VERY much.

A lighter vivid color combined with a great clarity - a bit cheaper like the darker or better richer colored emeralds but def. not a low quality if gemmy imo. In gem shows I always try to find some.

I think it is a gorgous ring.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is worth the price so at least that's that.

Natural green emerald means exactly that. It is earth mined but could be treated up the wazoo which makes it essentially worthless. The colour is also very light, so pricing will be less. It could be synthetic as well which you would have to get it checked. What is the vendor's policy with regards to misrepresentation, returns and refunds? Any restocking fees?

Because the stone is bezeled, it is likely that the setter will have to break/smash the emerald to remove it without damaging the setting in order to set your diamond in it. Note that because it is a bezel setting, the diamond you purchase must be an almost exact fit of 7 x 5.5 mm because bezel settings are very unforgiving of fit, unlike prong settings where there is more leeway.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you considering this as an engagement ring, because emeralds are not durable enough for every day rings.

One should also note that emeralds are routinely clarity enhanced, and some can lose this treatment over time and have to be re-treated. Therefore, since it's in a bezel, that's not an option because the loose stone would have to be treated. Emeralds with trade accepted clarity enhancement fillers will be stable over time and not lose their treatment.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jamesj|1424742232|3837252 said:
* * * Yes engagement, however the plan is to replace the Emerald with a quality diamond and then have a matching neckless made with Emerald mounted.
Her ring size is 5 and this is size 7 - is that a deal breaker?
I think it would be a challenge to successfully size that particular ring down 2 sizes, what with the curvature for what was a size 7 finger & the extent of the diamond-platinum work surrounding the emerald.

Folks on the Antique & Jewelry board here on PS seem to think well of this eBay vendor & she does have a 14-day, no questions asked return policy. But before making the purchase, I'd show the eBay pics to a a skilled and savvy "bench" accustomed to working with estate jewelry & ask for a learned opinion of, and estimated costs for, your re-do plans (note too that the bottom of the shank -- i.e., the part of the band that's on the backside of your hand -- has become too thin from wear to now wear "as is"). No reason to buy from even a vendor with a decent return-refund policy if your hopes to remove the emerald, reset it in a pendant, and then put a diamond as a center stone in the ring are, as many of us suspect, not practical. Be prepared for the possibility that the bench may be reluctant to give an opinion without the benefit of being able to inspect the ring first-hand and/or a lab report re the emerald.

P.S. re TL's last comment:
TL|1424791636|3837463 said:
Are you considering this as an engagement ring, because emeralds are not durable enough for every day rings.
One should also note that emeralds are routinely clarity enhanced, and some can lose this treatment over time and have to be re-treated. Therefore, since it's in a bezel, that's not an option because the loose stone would have to be treated. Emeralds with trade accepted clarity enhancement fillers will be stable over time and not lose their treatment.
I know the conventional wisdom here is that emeralds are not suitable for an engagement ring, but my emerald, with diamond accents, e-ring was more than 100 years old when I got it & I wore it daily for another 20+ years with the only damage in all that time being a teensy "flea bite" on one of the emeralds. LD's mother's emerald ring of similar vintage (maybe even older) is another similar, success story, and we're surely not the only ones :))

As for treatment of this particular emerald (if natural), you could see if Mel can give you a more precise date than "post-1950's". That could mean it was made last month, but if the ring is actually 50-60 years old & the emerald is fine, I think it's safe to assume that the treatment is stable from the consumer viewpoint, even though the bench may wish to know more precisely what they're dealing with.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring and altough I cannot help you with the value, I think t would be difficult and an utter shame to destroy the bezel by removing the emerald - you may have more success by using it as "inspiration" to get a new diamond ring made to match with the centre diamond of your choice.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a short time I enjoyed the hobby of buying "used" diamond and gemstone rings and then selling them when I wanted something different. The price you are paying is IMHO top dollar on the resale market. That doesn't make the purchase "wrong" or "not worth it." Given time I would expect to pay no more than half of what the ring is listed for a similar ring if this is what I wanted to purchase. The resale market is brutal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results