shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire durability

sapphirelove

Rough_Rock
Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum and would like to start off with a question about sapphires. I hope you can help me!

Are sapphires very durable when it comes to daily wear, i.e. in a pendant or ring? I really like sapphire jewelry and hope to aquire some pieces in the future.

Do perfume, bodylotion, sunscreen, etc. any harm to them? Would I need to be careful that sapphires do not come into contact with these or wouldn't there be any damage at all?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphires are hard and tough enough for daily wear in a ring. That doesn't mean they won't chip if hit at the right angle or get facet abrasion over time. I'm actually not sure about chemicals, so others can chime in - but I know it also depends if the sapphire was treated beyond minimal heat.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1424847377|3837867 said:
Sapphires are hard and tough enough for daily wear in a ring. That doesn't mean they won't chip if hit at the right angle or get facet abrasion over time. I'm actually not sure about chemicals, so others can chime in - but I know it also depends if the sapphire was treated beyond minimal heat.

??? What will happen?? I don't understand what you mean? Which chemicals would harm a sapphire if you wear it?

Soap, skin lotion lotion etc. will have no influence.

sapphirelove

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your answers!

So with regards to lotion, perfume, etc. sapphires are just as durable as diamonds?

LoversKites: are you sure treated sapphires would be harmed if exposed to chemicals?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I meant that some chemicals can harm fracture filled sapphires (meaning they've had more than minimal treatment). Like chemicals in cleaning solutions and such, for example ammonia. Ultrasonic cleaning will also ruin the treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Standard heated sapphires are durable enough for everyday wear as a ring, pendant or earring stones. They hold up through ultrasonic and steam cleaning. Soaps and lotions will not damage sapphires either. The only caution is not to wear them whilst doing housework, yardwork, and the like because it increases the risk of banging it against something hard and chipping it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1424867512|3837907 said:
Standard heated sapphires are durable enough for everyday wear as a ring, pendant or earring stones. They hold up through ultrasonic and steam cleaning. Soaps and lotions will not damage sapphires either. The only caution is not to wear them whilst doing housework, yardwork, and the like because it increases the risk of banging it against something hard and chipping it.

No gem should be worn doing those things, or to sleep as well, as that can also not only damage the stone(s) in the ring, but loosen prongs.

sapphirelove

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys!

If I wear a sapphire pendant and apply perfume, would that be harmful?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire will be fine, other than the coating of perfume might interfere with its sparkle a little.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
That would not be harmful, but residues from perfume or soap or lotion could build up, which over a short period of time would definitely impact the sparkle and beauty of the stone :) But that would just mean cleaning it. Personally I'd apply lotions and perfumes before putting it on, but that's solely to keep it clean and pretty.

sapphirelove

Rough_Rock
Thanks! :)
It's great that sapphires are so tough!

Is there anything else to consider when wearing/cleaning sapphires?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results