carat
color
clarity

Help me help a friend!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Howdy all, :wavey:

My dear friend has asked me to assist her in finding two specific gemstones and although I am hunting myself, any extra help would be gratefully received.

1. Emerald-cut aquamarine 2cts eyeclean, untreated. Budget $AU500.
2. Canary yellow pear-cut sapphire 1.5cts heat-only. Budget $AU800.

We've already discussed treatments and she is open to other alternative gemstones such as Topaz and Heliodor. She will contact Doug from Bespoke Gems first to see if he has anything suitable (we are Aussie) but if we can find an existing stone under budget that would be fabulous. I also mentioned how unrealistic it would be to expect a sapphire to perform like a yellow diamond.

Below are pics are of what she is aiming to recreate...

nic01.jpg

nic02.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's really no way to detect heat or irradiation treatment in aqua or heliodor, so I hope your source knows their source very well

Note irradiated beryls can fade in color over time.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is not a pear, but the cut, size and price are good.

Chrysoberyl
8.8 x 8.8 x 5.2 mm.
$299

__52.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is on the greenish side of yellow, and the cut is a little bit assymetrical, but I think it's a good buy.

Chrysoberyl
10.9 x 8.2 x 5.3 mm.
$400

__53.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh that last Chryso pear looks lovely! I'll ask if she is open to a green modifier but guessing what she is looking for is more canary diamond style... Thanks for your help. :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1424398724|3835154 said:
Oooh that last Chryso pear looks lovely! I'll ask if she is open to a green modifier but guessing what she is looking for is more canary diamond style... Thanks for your help. :appl:

Let me know. I think most of us know the vendor, but I did not want to post a link here and have a lurker take it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hotpozzum, I was at Intergem this weekend, and saw some light blue aqua that was in your friend's price range at Prima.

img_7158.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here are three that I asked to see. The price I was quoted was significantly discounted from the prices shown. (I switched the prices of the middle and right stone!) The middle baguette is below your friend's budget, and meets her size criteria. Please contact me through my LT email if you would like to talk price. I have a listing under settings.

The left (emerald cut) and middle (baguette) stone have a very narrow window that closed up on the back of my hand. The stone on the right is too small for your friend, and to light in my opinion. The colors in my picture are pretty accurate.

img_7159.jpg

img_7161.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Pregcurious you are amazing! They look stunning. :love:

How long is the show on for? I'm worried I won't be able to get an answer quickly from her (she is busy with a toddler! :doh: ). Can I contact Prima directly? I would not want you to waste you time that's all...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if you are planning to visit their booth at a show and looking for something in particular, contact them in advance to work out a selection to bring with them since they keep much of their inventory back at the store.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just heard back from my friend who answered a rather lengthy list of questions by me:

"I'm definitely set on the pear but I actually want a radiant cut with the aquamarine.
The jewler who set your stone looks amazing, he will definitely high on my list.
I agree with you about the sapphire not having the lustre and look of a diamond, I've been looking at the chrystoberyl and I think I've changed my mind about the sapphire!
I see what you mean about the "window" effect with the aquamarine, I'm hoping the radiant cut will help slightly with that.
Secondary modifiers are perfectly fine too :).
The timeline is very flexible, I'd be looking anywhere from 2 months onwards.
Doug from Bespoke Gems looks fantastic, exactly what I'm after too!! "

So looks like some changes to her list:
1. Now the Aquamarine should be a radiant cut. Think I saw a nice one on Gemrite the other day so will recommend that one.
2. She is open to yellow chrysoberyl pears.

I'll keep on hunting but thanks so much for your assistance everyone. :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Radiant cut will be a challenge for the aquamarine but we'll keep looking.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Radiant cut will help mask inclusions, but aquamarines tend to be clean anyway. As for a window, it will depend on the stone. Aquamarine in light colors is not rare enough that a window should be accepted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results