shape
carat
color
clarity

orange sapphire

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
can anyone tell me about orange sapphires? this is pressure mounted on 14 karat. does this look heat treated, lab created, or natural?

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
img

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
how do you guys post pictures?

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
figured it out

100_31.jpg

100_32.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Almost certainly not natural or heat-only. I'd put good money on it being either lab-created or Be-treated (as most orange sapphires are). Try looking up pictures of lab and Be sapphires versus pictures of untreated sapphires and you will start to see what I mean. Based on the shape and color, my best guess is lab-created.

For example, this stone looks quite similar: http://www.grandgemstones.com/product_info.php?products_id=700307645

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pokerface|1424298659|3834546 said:
Almost certainly not natural or heat-only. I'd put good money on it being either lab-created or Be-treated (as most orange sapphires are). Try looking up pictures of lab and Be sapphires versus pictures of untreated sapphires and you will start to see what I mean.

+1 I love that color though, and if that were a spessartite garnet, I would have to arm wrestle you for it! :cheeky:

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
i know it can't be because of the pressure mounting. with the pressure mounting and a garnet, the garnet would just crack. that i do know.

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
otherwise i really don't know what it could be. i only guess a corundum because of the mount. they say for pressure mounting it needs to be as hard as a 9 and higher. but not for sure. the gold is real because of the marking in it. it also says C L or C A? i really can't tell even with a loupe or a microscope. you can see a bit of the 14 but no K but something of a slash after the 14 so i'm guessing it's a K that's diminished. it looks custom made not massed produced because of the square/bell shape of the ring. so i don't know why someone would get something cheap and then spend so much money or getting a custom made ring? it stuck on my finger so i can't take it off lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to the great size and color, I bet it's synthetic, but no way to know for sure without testing it.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have no idea what the stone is but it is pretty.

Reminds me of this this ring - an synthetic orange stone set with CZs in solid 24k gold. The back was adjustable like a dime store ring which I found funny (but guess it made practical sense given how soft the gold was). My jeweler let me wear it out to dinner while I had some other rings sized. I may have even bought it for fun because I fell in love with the orange set against the bright yellow gold had it already not started to lose its shape just from eating dinner.

24korangecz.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love these oranges.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely to be synthetic, otherwise my next guess is diffused corundum.

Some people don't care about the stone being synthetic, wanting a large size and superb colour, and don't mind splurging on the setting for it. Different priorities for different folks. :))

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
thanks for the opinions. anyways on top of it all, i bought it at an antique mall for 7 bucks. i hardly go into an antique mall as i tend to call them or everything they have, ''a paper weight store of all sizes''. at first i thought it was a fire opal. i asked to look at it. i did happen to have my loupe and saw the 14k marking and bought it. i guess whomever had it before hand, couldn't see the gold marking. they did have an area with antique jewlery. i do love the ring. and it's also stuck on my finger for the time being

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a score!! Who cares what the stone is...the ring is awesome :)

geogeo21

Rough_Rock
yay! just found out who the maker of the ring is after researching and then falling upon a website. it's by Koorey Creations.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
geogeo21|1424301811|3834564 said:
otherwise i really don't know what it could be. i only guess a corundum because of the mount. they say for pressure mounting it needs to be as hard as a 9 and higher. but not for sure. the gold is real because of the marking in it. it also says C L or C A? i really can't tell even with a loupe or a microscope. you can see a bit of the 14 but no K but something of a slash after the 14 so i'm guessing it's a K that's diminished. it looks custom made not massed produced because of the square/bell shape of the ring. so i don't know why someone would get something cheap and then spend so much money or getting a custom made ring? it stuck on my finger so i can't take it off lol.

For pressure mounting you need a gem gem with a good tenacity - nephrite is much softer ( mohs hardness ) but has a very high tenacity.

Would be no problem to set it like this.

If you hit a ruby or diamond with a hammer you will destroy it!!! Mohs hardness tells you whether a material is able to scratch a surface of another material!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results