shape
carat
color
clarity

Cultured pearl drops?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Why don't any of the pearl farms create cultured pearl drops? I'm talking about the kind of pearl drops Queen Mary had in her tiaras, and used to hang off her pearl necklaces. I think they would be great for earrings, in a slightly smaller size than Queen Mary had.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not sure what your problem is, there are plenty of drop shaped half drilled pearls or undrilled pearls out there for earrings. There was a bit of a shortage of natural colours ones in Hong Kong last year and I'm hoping to find a good stash when I next go, but there were acres of top quality whites in all sizes.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have lots of drop-shape pearls, and if *I* have them, they can't be too difficult to find! :D

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure where you are looking but most of my pearls are drop shape. I have Golden ss, white ss, freshwater and Tahitian in smooth drop shape. They range in size up to over 20 mm.

Remember pearls are created by an animal so sometimes you just get what you get. Gemstone cutters are not involved like with colored gem stones or diamonds.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
You might need to work with someone (company) to source what you are looking for and it might take a few years to find what you are looking for.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Long drop shapes not so plentiful but still are enough around to make pairs

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@BWeaves, you might try asking one of the larger, well known pearl companies and showing them a photo of what you're looking for. They usually have much more in stock than what's shown online.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I'm not looking for them enough have them specially made, although I'd certainly buy some if they were readily available.

I was just wondering why nobody makes that shape anymore. That shape seemed to be all over the place 100 years ago or more.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One hundred years ago, those shapes were naturals!

Even now that SSP are being cultured, the drop shapes aren't planned-- the nucleus is round just as it is for other SSP, and the pearls just happen to grow in the drop shape.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves|1424120997|3833528 said:
Oh, I'm not looking for them enough have them specially made, although I'd certainly buy some if they were readily available.

I was just wondering why nobody makes that shape anymore. That shape seemed to be all over the place 100 years ago or more.

I doubt they were "all over the place," which is why the royals had them. Even 100 years ago, not that many people had real pearls. When the freshwater pearl industry figured out how to make round pearls (not rice), it made it easier for everyone to have real pearls.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also remember that most of the pearls that sell on line are not that large .. they are mostly between 7 and 12mm . Commerically I suppose that's what most people want as they are generally a more wearable and affordable size ( I'm just guessing here .. I don't online sell in bulk) . The sort of thing you are looking for would be around but seems more likely they would be picked up as a one off interesting pair to be sold to jewellers. If you wanted this you would need to ask someone to keep an eye out for them in HK , imo.

As for antique crowns etc... could have taken years to come up with a set of matching long drop pearls as they were ( as was previously pointed out ) natural.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
There's a little article in the March issue of Town & Country about natural pearls. It discusses exactly what's been said here; that 100 years ago, those pearls were natural (no human intervention), rare, and only owned by royalty. There's a new demand for vintage natural pearls, and they sell for millions. One natural drop pearl sold for $3,041,000. The article also specifically mentions Queen Mary, that one of her vintage natural drops was reset by Cartier into a diamond necklace.

I didn't find the article online, but it's on page 114, and it's very short, if anyone wants to nip into Barnes & Noble. :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results