clarity

Please help. Is S&S gems in reputable

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am at Intergem now. Please tell me of your experience. Thank you

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They must be East Coast? I don't recall seeing them at a Gem show out here (California)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
7 west 45th st #1502 NY, ny

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
They come up when you search for them in AGTA's source directory, which states:

"The AGTA Source Directory makes it easy for gemstone and jewelry professionals to get the information they need to purchase gemstones, jewelry, products and services from ethical and reliable suppliers."

http://www.agta.org/info/agta-source-directory-member-1009790.html

I don't know if it really means anything though.

Good luck.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at what they offer online (minimal info provided). I DO notice that the first sapphires that pop up are bright pink - look Be treated - with no mention of treatment. They do, however, say on the website to contact them for further info. So I would assume that they sell at least some treated stones. I wish there was more to help you with. :(sad

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1424541358|3836015 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/s-s-gems-inc.179166/

I just looked at their website too. Nothing to give me the slightest confidence, tons of red (heavily treated, undisclosed) flags.

Nice going, VL :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely more a mass market commercial vendor (even though for a long time they were in the wholesale section).

At first glance their prices are incredibly inexpensive but the stones they showed me were windowed, etc...They didn't argue with me when I pointed it out but they didn't seem interested in trying to sell me a better stone. Another time, they looked at my cuprian tourmaline for 2 seconds and said "it's a tourmaline" but didn't point out it it might be something of value. Seems like their market is not for the educated consumer or the type of vendor looking to establish a long term relationship (like I have with some of the other vendors there). I wouldn't buy from them personally.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to Prima and Vance often mentioned here, you may want to look at FGS Gems (if they are there). Frank had some very nice stones at the December Chantilly show.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all.

How about Ocean Jewelry, 625 Hill St suite 146, LA? For diamond settings and jewelry.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Their websit looks like a reseller of manufacturer's catalogue stock.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with that if you like the setting and the price is good. Don't know the vendor but I mostly shop vendors I know at the gem shows unless something catches my eye.

Would love to see what you ended up buying (if you care to share)!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I'm at gem shows, my rule of thumb is to stick with gems that aren't commonly treated and/or synthesized.

I will break that rule for Vancegems and Primagems, however. I will buy garnets and spinels from those two vendors, but I completely avoid corundum at gem shows, especially Intergem. There's a ton of diffused material there.

Having gone to Intergem over the years, I've made some really horrible and stupid purchases, enough to have learned my lesson. :oops:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, limosun, Loverkites, Minou, VL, and TL. I was not in the market for gemstones this weekend, but I still looked at Prima and FGS. My friend bought a ring at Andrew Sarosi.

I will start a new thread with pictures of some of the trays that Prima had. They had some lovely mint garnets and spessartites.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1424646163|3836619 said:
Thanks, limosun, Loverkites, Minou, VL, and TL. I was not in the market for gemstones this weekend, but I still looked at Prima and FGS. My friend bought a ring at Andrew Sarosi.

I will start a new thread with pictures of some of the trays that Prima had. They had some lovely mint garnets and spessartites.

Never heard of FGS, but Andrew Sarosi is reputable too (I forgot he shows there).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to follow up on this question. I asked to see some emeralds at S&S, and I asked how they were treated. I was told that none of their emeralds had any treatments. Perhaps that is true, but I have untreated emeralds are extremely rare. I walked away.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1424788114|3837426 said:
Just wanted to follow up on this question. I asked to see some emeralds at S&S, and I asked how they were treated. I was told that none of their emeralds had any treatments. Perhaps that is true, but I have untreated emeralds are extremely rare. I walked away.

Wow, that's a huge red flag to me as well.

I bought an emerald at Intergem about 20 years ago, and I was told it wasn't treated at all. I took it to a gemologist (a good one), and was told it was clarity enhanced. They can easily take your money and finding them online can be difficult, especially if they don't have a web presence. Therefore one must be especially careful at Intergem.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with TL. Unless they have proof right there in the form of a reputable lab report and you can verify the stone is matches the lab report, I'm taking it with a salt shaker. It is easier for them to take your payment than to refund it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1424550023|3836086 said:
Thank you all.

How about Ocean Jewelry, 625 Hill St suite 146, LA? For diamond settings and jewelry.
I just wanted to follow up on Ocean Jewelry. My friend bought a diamond band from this vendor, and it check out well with her appraiser.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results