shape
carat
color
clarity

Difficulty Balancing Trade-offs

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I posted a few months ago looking for advice and found everyone's responses very helpful. Well, our 5 yr anniversary is coming up next month and I think it's time I pull the trigger.

My problem is not unlike anyone else's: I'm having difficulty compromising budget with quality. I've settled on the Vatche U113 setting, but I can't seem to find the diamond I'm looking for. I did, however, find these two that are very interesting to me and I would really LOVE to hear other thoughts.

Diamond #1:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3189868.htm
A CUT ABOVE
Size: 1.844ct
Color: J
Clarity: VS2

Diamond #2:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-398092
3X
Size: 2.03ct
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
HCA: 1.8

Price is practically identical. I know that my GF would be ecstatic with a 1.8ct but I once saw her try on a Tiffany 2ct and her face just lit up! I'd like the same effect when I propose. I know it's silly to fixate on the 2ct mark, but I'm struggling to move past it. She's been very patient with us getting engaged.

So again, I struggle to balance getting to that 2ct mark while still getting a quality stone in my budget. BTW I could go a little higher on my budget for the right diamond, but if I can keep the diamond around $15k, I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance!

dveeg

Rough_Rock
Here is one in the 15k range that hits the 2.0ct mark while still be GIA xxx, VS2, HCA under 2...

It also gives you a color jump from J to I, which personally I would be more comfortable with.

I am fairly new but some experts may be able to give their more experienced opinions on it...

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R200-8WMFBH?cid=pricescope

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
Thanks for reading and doing your search! A very nice option as well.

I have seen that one too, and it's definitely a viable option. I'm open to other vendors, I just don't happen to know very much about that particular vendor, whereas I seem to be more comfortable with JA & WF.

Also, I'm definitely more comfortable with an I color as opposed to a J (my original criteria was I Vs2). However, the more comparisons I see (i.e. GOG videos) the more I'm open to a J color. Then I ask myself whether or not I'm willing to pay more for something I can not necessarily differentiate.

Any other insights? opinions on the proposed options?

Thanks again!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Consider this option, as well:

1.813ct, I, SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114553.htm

This stone is I-colored (your preference), equally eye-clean to the stone you had linked, and virtually the same size (look at diameter). It is about $1k more, but if you've got the $$$ in the budget, it might be worth having Whiteflash pull this stone and the one you had linked, so they can do a side-by-side comparison.

That will give you some good insight into which stone is the best fit for you.

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1424391833|3835097 said:
Consider this option, as well:

1.813ct, I, SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114553.htm

This stone is I-colored (your preference), equally eye-clean to the stone you had linked, and virtually the same size (look at diameter). It is about $1k more, but if you've got the $$$ in the budget, it might be worth having Whiteflash pull this stone and the one you had linked, so they can do a side-by-side comparison.

That will give you some good insight into which stone is the best fit for you.

Thank you for the reply!! I did see this one as well, and is also a great option. The reason I preferred my other choice was the cut quality is A CUT ABOVE and is less expensive. I really like your idea of WF pulling both stones and doing a side-by-side comparison. I will email them to hear their thoughts.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're open to other vendors, I'd ask IDJ for an idealscope on this stone http://www.idjewelry.com/round-el655-122.html IDJ is a PS recommended vendor.

It hits 2ct mark, doesn't seem to have visible inclusions, under 2HCA and has medium blue fluorsescence, which may help out J color. All for 12K.

dveeg

Rough_Rock
bshaffer12|1424391328|3835093 said:
Thanks for reading and doing your search! A very nice option as well.

I have seen that one too, and it's definitely a viable option. I'm open to other vendors, I just don't happen to know very much about that particular vendor, whereas I seem to be more comfortable with JA & WF.

Also, I'm definitely more comfortable with an I color as opposed to a J (my original criteria was I Vs2). However, the more comparisons I see (i.e. GOG videos) the more I'm open to a J color. Then I ask myself whether or not I'm willing to pay more for something I can not necessarily differentiate.

Any other insights? opinions on the proposed options?

Thanks again!

No problem! I have not dealt with Enchanted personally, but I have seen favorable reviews on here in the past. Also, my brother is in the process of purchasing a diamond from them (1.7, xxx, G, VS1), and his experience has been good so far.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On that stone from IDJ, be sure to ask if that feather is a duability risk. It looks large and it runs through the girdle it appears.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really would focus on I color, personally. J color is when most people can start seeing the tint, and I would honestly rather go a little under 2 cts and get an I. For any stones listed already that don't have idealscope images, I would eliminate them if they cannot be obtained. I would definitely go for the I SI1 stone from WF over the J VS2. You will see color more than one clarity grade, assuming the stone is eyeclean. It appears to be a near miss for ACA. I am also open to ED, but I wouldn't consider a stone from them unless they can provide the idealscope image. The one linked appears to have potential, though.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I know your already sturrggling with comprromise but don't go below I a J stone in my HO definetely has color.....

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would not be scared off from a J color diamond if you have not seen them for YOURSELF! I was just in nearly the same situation as you. Originally my girlfriend said she didnt want to go below an I color, but after looking at H, I, and J side by side in a jewelry store she decided she couldnt tell a difference between them. I could pick the H out face down, but face up I could not tell the H from the I or J. She couldnt see a difference in any of them. Point being, she much prefers size over color as it is EASY to see in any light no matter what.

I originally bought a 1.79 ideal cut AGS 000 I color stone. It was beautiful, but when I found out she was actually ok with J, I searched for and found an ideal cut (non branded) GIA J color that was just over 2 carats. I compared them both in as many lighting environments as possible and the differences were so subtle. I actually thought the GIA graded J had equal or even slighlty less tint than the AGS I. And I had it appraised today by a pricescope listed independent appraiser who has been in the business for 35 years and he said he was torn between calling it an H and an I, and was surprised when I told him it was a J. Point being, I think there are some J's that could go as I's and to write off all J's would be silly. If you see one in person and don't like it, you better look at I's too because they will probly show some tint to you as well that could be bothersome.

And the diamond I bought did not have an idealscope and it is gorgeous. I would not rule out any stone that has ideal numbers just because it doesnt have an idealscope image. They are absolutely nice to have, but if the numbers and the price are right they are not a necessity. Let your eyes dictate what is beautiful.

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1424399585|3835159 said:
I would not be scared off from a J color diamond if you have not seen them for YOURSELF! I was just in nearly the same situation as you. Originally my girlfriend said she didnt want to go below an I color, but after looking at H, I, and J side by side in a jewelry store she decided she couldnt tell a difference between them. I could pick the H out face down, but face up I could not tell the H from the I or J. She couldnt see a difference in any of them. Point being, she much prefers size over color as it is EASY to see in any light no matter what.

I originally bought a 1.79 ideal cut AGS 000 I color stone. It was beautiful, but when I found out she was actually ok with J, I searched for and found an ideal cut (non branded) GIA J color that was just over 2 carats. I compared them both in as many lighting environments as possible and the differences were so subtle. I actually thought the GIA graded J had equal or even slighlty less tint than the AGS I. And I had it appraised today by a pricescope listed independent appraiser who has been in the business for 35 years and he said he was torn between calling it an H and an I, and was surprised when I told him it was a J. Point being, I think there are some J's that could go as I's and to write off all J's would be silly. If you see one in person and don't like it, you better look at I's too because they will probly show some tint to you as well that could be bothersome.

And the diamond I bought did not have an idealscope and it is gorgeous. I would not rule out any stone that has ideal numbers just because it doesnt have an idealscope image. They are absolutely nice to have, but if the numbers and the price are right they are not a necessity. Let your eyes dictate what is beautiful.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out your experience on color! And I also appreciate all of the insight from everyone!

The balance between color and price seem to be the hardest for me to decide (next to a branded H&A). Specifically, I vs. J. If the diamond faces up white, does it matter that it's a J? Since I am buying without seeing the stone in person, my comfort level is best around I VS2, but if it's eye clean and indistinguishable tint (like mentioned above) why not J SI1? The price difference can be substantial.

I'm a numbers guy (an understatement) but understand there's a crucial component of ones perception of appearance. I've definitely become fascinated - not to mention anxious - with this topic and would love to hear from others.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a reason the price difference can be substantial, it is because it is worth less. I like diamonds from D to G and find that H bothers me and I can easily see it from the side of a diamond in the mount when wearing it. As the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Most people are happy to I, remember tint can be grey, brown and green not just yellow. Lower color diamonds just look darker to me and especially the grey ones.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bshaffer12|1424400767|3835177 said:
The balance between color and price seem to be the hardest for me to decide (next to a branded H&A). Specifically, I vs. J. If the diamond faces up white, does it matter that it's a J? Since I am buying without seeing the stone in person, my comfort level is best around I VS2, but if it's eye clean and indistinguishable tint (like mentioned above) why not J SI1? The price difference can be substantial.

I'm a numbers guy (an understatement) but understand there's a crucial component of ones perception of appearance. I've definitely become fascinated - not to mention anxious - with this topic and would love to hear from others.
The only way to figure this out is to go see GIA certed stones in person. IMHO, the only non-negotiable "C" is cut, the rest is personal preference. Everyone's color and clarity perception is different and, as pfunk mentioned, your FF may value size above color and/or clarity.

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1424401664|3835181 said:
There is a reason the price difference can be substantial, it is because it is worth less. I like diamonds from D to G and find that H bothers me and I can easily see it from the side of a diamond in the mount when wearing it. As the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Most people are happy to I, remember tint can be grey, brown and green not just yellow. Lower color diamonds just look darker to me and especially the grey ones.

Thanks for the insight. You are definitely more discerning than myself or my GF. I definitely can't see a major difference between H & I. Maybe D vs. I, but I wouldn't pay the premium. Totally agree that "if it's too good to be true, it probably is". it has occurred to me that among reputable online vendors, prices are fairly consistent, it's just a balancing act with your quality and budget needs.

Local B&M is a different story and topic - I gave that a shot and it was readily apparent within 60 sec that they just wanted to rip me off (just my experience).

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
baby monster|1424402609|3835186 said:

The only way to figure this out is to go see GIA certed stones in person. IMHO, the only non-negotiable "C" is cut, the rest is personal preference. Everyone's color and clarity perception is different and, as pfunk mentioned, your FF may value size above color and/or clarity.

Very well said and I completely agree.

Based on my discussion with my FF (funny actually writing that) I have noticed that she probably would value Carat above color and clarity. Honestly, I could get her a sub-par 2ct stone and she would never know the difference. But, I want to get her a high quality stone that I can pay for comfortably in cash.

So, back to the original selection, if you have an eye clean H&A stone but J color, do most claim they can observe the tint? Is the $2-$3k increase in price (or more) worth getting the I color?

Thanks again everyone! Love the insight and wealth of knowledge!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
bshaffer12|1424403425|3835190 said:
baby monster|1424402609|3835186 said:

Very well said and I completely agree.

Based on my discussion with my FF (funny actually writing that) I have noticed that she probably would value Carat above color and clarity. Honestly, I could get her a sub-par 2ct stone and she would never know the difference. But, I want to get her a high quality stone that I can pay for comfortably in cash.

So, back to the original selection, if you have an eye clean H&A stone but J color, do most claim they can observe the tint? Is the $2-$3k increase in price (or more) worth getting the I color?

Thanks again everyone! Love the insight and wealth of knowledge!

Yes, if you have eyes that work reasonably well you will see the tint from the side or viewing pavilion up in both the I and J. Is it worth an extra couple grand for 1 color grade? In my case, no. Absolutely not. I had an I and J right next to each other and I couldnt tell a bit of difference. They both showed their tint from the side or when in yellow tinted lighting in a room with tan walls. In daylight or white light, they faced up equally white. The key is that between the I and J, I couldnt have told which was which by the color. But you bet i could tell which was the bigger one. Everyone has a different tolerance, and every I or J isn't the same as the next I or J. There is variability within each grade. But if I were to guess (assuming you are completely comfortable with an I color) then a J will probably not look look much different and you will be fine with it. If you see an I and you think "that might be too yellow for me", then a J probably isnt going to be the best idea.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had a 47 point diamond before I got diamonds with reports. The jeweller sold it to me as a G. When I went to another high end jeweller to trade it in on a 67 point F color GIA whilst speaking about my diamond and the price he would give me he said my 47 point stone was no way a G, it may be an H. He was a gemologist and is very well known in the city as the jewellers was started by his grandfather and this man is now a grandfather and senior partner with his son a gemologist too. He was giving me 50% on the diamond, but point is he could tell on a 47 point stone.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The extra money is worth it to someone who values more rare if it is just looks you value go with the lower price. I like colourless and always think if I didn't value rarity I would not get a diamond but a beautiful sparkly stone for less, blue topaz has a high reflective index.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I would say it depends on a setting. If you are planning to set the diamond so that the side and gullet can be seen, I would go for higher color. Other than that, a J is fine with me. I own a J (although only 0.55 one) and had it set on my own design (half basket, half prong) in platinum. The sideview is limited (but still accessible for cleaning), which really helps with color. It is a AGS 000 H&A, so I don't know if I would be more bothered with lesser cut. Keep in mind most people here are purists :D and really into diamonds, where as 99 % of people "out in the real world" are not.

I have previously told this story here, but I guess it might help you. When this happened, I had read 2 books on diamonds and a lot of material online as well as searched for my e-ring diamond. So I guess I was more knowledgeable than any of my (otherwise well educated) friends. I keep my horse at a liverly, where the stable owner's daughter got engaged. She had a one carat diamond e-ring (very large around here regardless of wealth). The first thing I noticed was that it was big. It was only the second time I saw the diamond I realized it was brown. And I mean really brown, not just a tint. AND I had seen the diamond close-up the first time around, but still, the only thing that had sticked on my mind was the size :D So I bet none of my friends have ever thought that my J is yellow. They expect to see a white diamond, and that is what they see. And J is really not that yellow.

However, if her friends have "D"s and they have a habit of comparing their stones one next to another, it might pay off to get a higher color :D. Or if she wears other diamonds that are high color (D-F) it might be obvious.

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
nojs|1424420965|3835257 said:
I would say it depends on a setting. If you are planning to set the diamond so that the side and gullet can be seen, I would go for higher color. Other than that, a J is fine with me. I own a J (although only 0.55 one) and had it set on my own design (half basket, half prong) in platinum. The sideview is limited (but still accessible for cleaning), which really helps with color. It is a AGS 000 H&A, so I don't know if I would be more bothered with lesser cut. Keep in mind most people here are purists :D and really into diamonds, where as 99 % of people "out in the real world" are not.

I have previously told this story here, but I guess it might help you. When this happened, I had read 2 books on diamonds and a lot of material online as well as searched for my e-ring diamond. So I guess I was more knowledgeable than any of my (otherwise well educated) friends. I keep my horse at a liverly, where the stable owner's daughter got engaged. She had a one carat diamond e-ring (very large around here regardless of wealth). The first thing I noticed was that it was big. It was only the second time I saw the diamond I realized it was brown. And I mean really brown, not just a tint. AND I had seen the diamond close-up the first time around, but still, the only thing that had sticked on my mind was the size :D So I bet none of my friends have ever thought that my J is yellow. They expect to see a white diamond, and that is what they see. And J is really not that yellow.

However, if her friends have "D"s and they have a habit of comparing their stones one next to another, it might pay off to get a higher color :D. Or if she wears other diamonds that are high color (D-F) it might be obvious.

thank you very much for sharing your story and the insight, it's appreciated.

Good point about the setting. I will be getting her the Vatche U113 in platinum. Can't really say the basket is that open, so that's a consideration. I also agree that most who read/write in this forum are purists and most people will only really look at the size - but then again, I do really appreciate the art and science and would love to get the highest quality I can.

I highly doubt that she will sit around comparing diamonds with friends (seriously, is that a thing?) but I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Maybe it's time to revisit seeing an H-J in person?

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1424405959|3835210 said:
The extra money is worth it to someone who values more rare if it is just looks you value go with the lower price. I like colourless and always think if I didn't value rarity I would not get a diamond but a beautiful sparkly stone for less, blue topaz has a high reflective index.

I hear what you are saying and I would certainly value the rarity and craftsmanship of a high color ideal cut diamond. However, in this circumstance, only a professional or the rare 1% of people who can easily discern a J from even an H or know what H&A means can really see the difference upon examination. I think there is a middle ground between colourless diamonds and blue topaz. Hence, my original posting title.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know your fiance, we don't. Many here can say THEY wouldn't want a J, but that's irrelevant. Does your GF value size most? Color most? Does being able to say its a 2 ct mean a lot to her? These are the questions I would ask.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bshaffer12|1424442401|3835324 said:

I hear what you are saying and I would certainly value the rarity and craftsmanship of a high color ideal cut diamond. However, in this circumstance, only a professional or the rare 1% of people who can easily discern a J from even an H or know what H&A means can really see the difference upon examination. I think there is a middle ground between colourless diamonds and blue topaz. Hence, my original posting title.

There absolutely is. Doesn't sound like your gf is a collector, or even a diamond enthusiast. Like most women. She wants a nice engagement diamond. She and you are not wrong to value size over color. Who is to say one is "more important " than another, definitely. its all based on an individual and what they want to put THEIR money toward.

And the diamond vs blue topaz is kind of like saying ,can't afford an Aston Martin? Might as well get a bike.

Eta: last study I saw on here, the average e ring is a j- I suspect because many but their stones graded from less reputable labs with lax grading methods.

palmersj

Rough_Rock
I was in a similar situation a few years ago.
Color wasn't really an issue. I actually like a little color in my diamond. It's a preference and can only be decided by you.
VS vs SI, In your case, I'd also consider eye clean SI stones along with VS. You could save a few dollars and still get the savings put toward your size upgrade.
Another couple things to consider: 1. Assuming you go with a stone with hca <2, I'd also look at the L x W specs in mm. A 2ct stone can have some different dimensions amongst differing stones. I went with a 1.54ct round that's at 7.45mmx7.48mm. It's the surface area that faces up which relates to your perceived diamond size :) 2. If you go with a J or an I, consider going for medium or more florescence. It's a fairly known fact that the florescence in a J/I stone can artificially cause the stone to look whiter in certain lights. Brian Gavin has a section of stones just for it..(I'd rather find my own and not pay for their marketing of this myself). But, please make sure the stone in this example isn't milky or cloudy by asking for pictures or a gemologist's review of the stone prior to purchase.

Hope this helps.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1424442721|3835327 said:

There absolutely is. Doesn't sound like your gf is a collector, or even a diamond enthusiast. Like most women. She wants a nice engagement diamond. She and you are not wrong to value size over color. Who is to say one is "more important " than another, definitely. its all based on an individual and what they want to put THEIR money toward.

And the diamond vs blue topaz is kind of like saying ,can't afford an Aston Martin? Might as well get a bike.

Eta: last study I saw on here, the average e ring is a j- I suspect because many but their stones graded from less reputable labs with lax grading methods.

I agree with Niel... this statement is beyond ridiculous. To say this is bashing EVERY SINGLE PERSON (myself included) who dares own a stone less than colorless (D-F). We get it, pyramid, you love your icy white stones -- as you should, because that's your preference... you value "rarity", but others value "beauty" -- which is personal preference when it comes to color. It would be nice if you'd nix all the poo-pooing of I and lower colored diamonds. It's the same song and dance on every thread, and it's quite rude.

Rather have a blue topaz than a 2ct J stone?? Great. Then you do just that -- but others feel differently and are sick of your constant belittling less-than-colorless diamonds. Seriously. :roll:

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the reply. You're definitely right on. I would not say that it would mean a lot to her to say she has a 2ct ring, in fact, she tells me a 1.5 is fine - but does so with a slight smirk that says I'd rather have a 2ct. I'm sure many can relate to that. she just wants to be happy. And, I will readily admit, there is a little pride in this purchase for me too.

The Aston Martin analogy is hilarious! love it.

Can you clarify your last statement for me? that's interesting. Are you saying that most people have a graded J but it is likely even lower than that due to the less reputable lab grading?

bshaffer12

Rough_Rock
palmersj|1424445429|3835359 said:
I was in a similar situation a few years ago.
Color wasn't really an issue. I actually like a little color in my diamond. It's a preference and can only be decided by you.
VS vs SI, In your case, I'd also consider eye clean SI stones along with VS. You could save a few dollars and still get the savings put toward your size upgrade.
Another couple things to consider: 1. Assuming you go with a stone with hca <2, I'd also look at the L x W specs in mm. A 2ct stone can have some different dimensions amongst differing stones. I went with a 1.54ct round that's at 7.45mmx7.48mm. It's the surface area that faces up which relates to your perceived diamond size :) 2. If you go with a J or an I, consider going for medium or more florescence. It's a fairly known fact that the florescence in a J/I stone can artificially cause the stone to look whiter in certain lights. Brian Gavin has a section of stones just for it..(I'd rather find my own and not pay for their marketing of this myself). But, please make sure the stone in this example isn't milky or cloudy by asking for pictures or a gemologist's review of the stone prior to purchase.

Hope this helps.

Definitely helpful. Thank you.

You're right, I really just want an eye clean stone so SI1 is an option for me. I will say I have a tendency to lean to either ISI1 or JVS2 but not JSI1. I admit that may not make much sense, perhaps that's just the comfort factor for me.

really good point on the LXW specs, I've been looking at them closer lately. Also, I think the BG Blues are really cool, but I'm with you, I'd rather find my own and not pay for the marketing on that.

This has turned out to be a very great thread and I keep learning more. Thanks everyone. I'm sure this will help others too.

BTW - I emailed WF to ask if they would help me compare the I vs J as mentioned above. I'll let everyone know what I learn.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bshaffer12|1424450054|3835422 said:

Thanks for the reply. You're definitely right on. I would not say that it would mean a lot to her to say she has a 2ct ring, in fact, she tells me a 1.5 is fine - but does so with a slight smirk that says I'd rather have a 2ct. I'm sure many can relate to that. she just wants to be happy. And, I will readily admit, there is a little pride in this purchase for me too.

The Aston Martin analogy is hilarious! love it.

Can you clarify your last statement for me? that's interesting. Are you saying that most people have a graded J but it is likely even lower than that due to the less reputable lab grading?

I understand what you mean about the smirk... I was the same way when my husband was talking about diamonds before we got engaged. ;))

I think this is exactly what Niel was saying... most who have "G" stones really have a diamond that would grade several colors lower by GIA/AGS. :))

OP, I think you're so sweet for trying to balance out what's important to your FF, all while keeping her ultimate happiness in mind. Kudos to you! Best of luck in your search! I'm excited to see what you choose! :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes msop is right as to what I meant.

What I was getting at is, in the us the average grade of a atone is a gia j (again this is the last set of info I saw). But, many aren't graded by gia. Stones graded by softer grading labs (or no lab at all) can TELL you it's any color. So someone may have a lab report that says its an h, but if the same stone were graded by a stricter lab, it very well may come in lower in color by their standards. That's what I mean.

And I totally get wanting to blow her away. Its a meaningful purchase for you too. When she shows it off its in some ways as much a reflection on you as her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results