shape
carat
color
clarity

Dissatisfied with a gorgeous ring by Steven Kirsch

realtoki

Rough_Rock
Hello! I've been a loong time lurker and have posted on pricescope ages ago, but I doubt anyone remembers me from that time.
Anyway, going straight to the point!
(Disclaimer: this is a long, picture-heavy post laced with some bragging and lots of complaining. Read after the === to skip the background story)

I was recently proposed to by my loving fiance with a gorgeous ring made by Steven Kirsch.
After nearly 3 months of extensive back and forth with a very skilled(!) local jeweler, my SO (bless his heart for putting up with my extremely picky anal retentiveness) decided he'd be better off biting the bullet and paying the premium to have the original designer make the ring whose setting we were trying to replicate. I hadn't even considered SK as an option because he was out of our budget, so I was beyond thrilled when he decided to make the switch.

As many of you may have had the pleasure to experience, working with SK was like a breath of fresh air.
I had made a super detailed portfolio (aka the "ringfolio") with bits and pieces from 10 different rings to try to explain my dream ring to our original jeweler, who aparently couldn't envision the final outcome, and kept sending me CADs of a frankenstein of a ring... But SK immediately understood everything and said my ringfolio was very clear about every detail, and even summed it all up in the work order. Now that's what I a call a pro! And although I had no CAD to confirm exactly how my ring would turnout, I had high hopes. I did send one last paranoid email with a long list of worries while SK was working on it, and he just told my SO that he knows exactly what I'm worried about, and that I need not worry.

When the ring was done, my SO kept telling me how amazing it was...without showing me. And of course, my mind was going crazy and I kept asking if the prongs were right, if the shank was such, if this was that, etc, etc and he just kept telling me that it was perfect, and that and he and SK went through my ringfolio together to make sure he got every feature just the way I wanted. SK apparently also said that he really enjoyed making this ring and doesn't think he can make it any more beautiful than it is.
So I rested assured and played the waiting game...for a whole month!

SO and I live in different countries at the moment bc of my job, so I knew exactly when he would be proposing. Despite that, I still had one of the best proposals ever, but when he popped the question and put the ring on my finger.... I was speechless... because it did not look like my dream ring :???: (at this point my SO probably wanted to strangle me because he jumped through so many hoops to try to satisfy me.. not to mention he just got off a 15-hour flight an hour ago... yet still managed to pull off a glamorous proposal, and here I was, complaining during this beautiful moment.)

======== I will try to explain what I wanted and what doesn't look right =========

The most important feature was the SK 208(233) basket/gallery I was trying to replicate.
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PE6f44YxW0
It's similar to the "Preciosa" but the 208 gallery is more curved and has a metal edge like a channel setting.
208h_1.jpg

The second most important feature was a particular "chubby" double claw prong design with specific proportions that I had always wanted.
prong_1.jpg
When I was explaining it to the receptionist/assistant over the phone, she said it definitely looks different from what SK normally makes because most people like thin double claws, but assured me that "SK can replicate any design in the world." These were her exact words, which totally put me at ease at the time.

Other details: I wanted pave only on the gallery and no pave along the prongs and shank. I wanted no cathedral, but I didn't want a level band in the center, so I wanted it to come up as a knife edge just towards the center and remain domed on the rest of the band. I also wanted the setting as low as possible, but just low enough for the culet to show, even with a wedding band on.

Ok. Now here goes my complaining, with lots of purposefully non-glamour photos to accentuate the flaws.
Please view onward with a critical eye and extreme anal retentiveness, and comment on whether I'm being unreasonable.
I'm in town for a few weeks and plan on taking the ring in to get a few things fixed under warranty and need some thoughts on whether I should mention the other nonconforming aspects while I'm at it..

11_13.jpg 22_8.jpg
Yes, it's beautiful. but *sigh* here we go~

1. The two sides of the shank are uneven. From the picture, the right side is noticably higher and looks almost bent upwards. This part bothers me the MOST and I will be asking SK to fix it under their warranty.

2. The gallery is not like the 208. I specifically compared the 208 to the Preciosa and asked for the metal edge and boxy-ness to accentuate the amazing slanted double row of melees and curved design, but it just looks like rounded pave, and in real life, it barely even looks curved. Nevertheless, it's still spectacular craftsmanship and I'm debating whether or not to have him fix this...

3. When I said no cathedral, the assistant said "so you basically want the gap in the 208 filled" and I said um not exactly, but that's how it turned out. I didn't want the shank connecting to the gallary, and wanted more of like the Tiffany Novo look, but I guess that would have made the head sit higher. This part is actually growing on me, and I'm fine with it as long as the high side (mentioned in #1) isn't on the right side, which will hopefully be fixed soon!

4. The surface of the shank towards the center isn't even. Here's an ugly close-up. The other side is worse, with a wide soldering bump that's been polished.
3_149.jpg

5. The shank/band is disproportionate/deformed.
20141126_113807.jpg
I do know his work is completely handmade, so I shouldn't compare to a wax-casted piece, but this is too noticably deformed..

This is the shape I envisioned:
pic2shank2.jpg pic2shank1_0.jpg

6. The shank/knife edge part is really flat when viewed from top, which makes it look very oddly disproportional compared to its height in the profile view. I had hoped it to be more voluminous like the photo above, and have the knife edge just at the center and round out, but he made the knife edge go almost all the way to the sides, which is probably why the shape in #5 results.

7. The shank is tapered at the center... This I mentioned numerous times to our original jeweler but I failed to mention to SK because none of his designs taper... I did want a thin band, but he made the band taper exceptionally thin, and the knife edge gives the illusion of an almost non-existent band... (see pic below) It's not so bad on its own, but any wedding band wider than 2mm looks very weird together..

8. And last but not least, the prongs...! ;(
c360_2014-11-15-22-48-58.jpg
I honestly don't know if I would be asking too much to have him fix this to the design that I requested... In my ringfolio, I actually had photos of "what not to look like" and these type of prongs were one of them.
One thing that's for sure is that the top two prongs (particularly the right one) looks different from the others, so I will ask him to take a look at it, at the very least..

Again, I know his work is all handmade and it's difficult to be as precice as a machine, but he is deemed one of the best of the best, and we are paying the premium for his meistershaft. His warranty actually covers "anything less than perfect" which is obviously regarding craftsmanship, but I dont know how that applies to specific design requests.

Please share your thoughts on my craziness, and don't be shy to tell me how insanely anal or totally ungrateful I am... I promise not to be offended!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you are unhappy send it back give a detailed list what you want fixed and allow him to fix it.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I'd fix the shoulder that's bugging you, and then apologize to your fiance for being melodramatic about getting exactly what you asked for, which was some kind of amalgamation of 10 different rings.

After all, he apparently reviewed it with SK and said it was perfect, so I think it's a bit unfair to SK to be attacking him over these tiny details that your fiance apparently didn't see or think you'd care about.

It is, after all, just a ring and giving yourself a coronary over things like how many half mm are between two nearly identical sets of claw prongs, well...I just don't personally think it's a good use of time. But it's your ring and you have to be happy with it, so I guess your only option is to show another round of marked up drawings to SK and see what happens.

Medical

Rough_Rock
I understand the idea of wanting the ring to be absolutely perfect, especially when you go custom. However, I must say the ring looks beautiful, and a lot of the things you mention I can't even discern looking closely, at least from the pictures.

Bottom line: I'm a very OCD person (I think a lot of people on these forums are haha), so if I think about something long enough I'll come up with a million things that could be "tweaked," but I have to say that ring looks absolutely stunning (kudos to you and your fiancé). If I were you I'd take the most blatant things and have SK tweak them, but then I'd stop thinking about it and just start showing it off. Congratulations on your engagement!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1424262200|3834268 said:
I think if you are unhappy send it back give a detailed list what you want fixed and allow him to fix it.
+1

Also keep in in mind you went hand forged, not cad/cast for a reason. Hand foeged isn't going to be geocentrically perfect in every way. That's the nature of the beast.

realtoki

Rough_Rock
Medical, you are totally right.
I actually headed out to see SK yesterday to just ask him to fix the shank, because truth be told, the other parts had stopped bothering me after a few months and I fell in love with my ring! But their shop had closed early (probably because of the weather), and it's then that I became a crazy woman and started nitpicking at all the tiny details and decided to turn to fellow OCD PSers for justification....

I have now regained my senses haha! and will probably have him just even out the shoulder.

kb1gra, In my defense, it was actually my fiance who pointed out the one prong, in his untrained, naked eye, which made me keep looking at it, too ;-)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The things that were not consistent would really bother me (the left and right shank where they meet the head ), the shank
not looking round (symmetrical) and that one prong from the not-so-up close picture looks like a single prong. I would certainly go back and ask these things to be fixed.

The pave basket part...looks curved to me so I'm not sure what you are talking about here. I would let this go if you can.

I think from the top the shank looks pretty the way it tapers.

I know you paid a lot for the setting and I might not expect perfection but this just seems like too many things wrong with
a ring made by a master. I'm a little surprised.

I hope he can, and is willing to fix the things that are a little off.

Good luck

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad to hear you really love your ring now! It is beautiful! :love: As others have said, handforged may have more imperfections than a cast ring. I doubt most of the things you pointed out would be noticed by anyone else in real life viewing. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask about the shank (although I am not sure he can really do anything about that without remaking the ring). However, I would not be mentioning all the other things if it has been a few months. Really, if there were defects, I feel like they should have been brought up immediately, or at least within the first 30 days. So I am not really sure about how he will react to a complaint at this point. But I wish you good luck and let us know what happens!

realtoki

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline: I'm so sorry about your experience. I remember reading your post bc my mom was into rubies at the time. I didnt follow through till the end and didnt know that "vendor" was SK :( I'm glad the final ring turned out for the better!

tyty333: This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Hehehe. I didn't mean to attack SK by any means. His pave work on my ring's gallery is absolutely superb. I had read so many raves about his work having absolutely perfect proportions, etc, so I was just very surprsed to see that my band wasn't even (nearly) symmetricaly round.

diamondseeker: I'm actually worried that he may have to do a full revamp to fix a small part. I may just shrug the whole process off and learn to overcome my OCD!
As for the timing, like I said, I don't live in the US at the moment, and my bf came for three days just to propose, so I felt terrible asking him to immediately take back the ring to have fixed. I've since been preoccupied with working and studying for the bar exam (which is next week! and why I'm in the country) and I did check that SK warrants against any defects in craftsmanship for up to a year. I needed to focus my limited time on more important things than worry about internationally shipping a valuable item and the headache of email communications and such.
Still, I hope it's not too late and that he can touch up a few spots under the warranty. I'll keep you all posted! Thanks for all the replies!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that it matters if the imperfections that OP has noticed can be seen by anyone else because the only opinion that matters here is OPs. If OP thinks that her ring has noticeable (to her) imperfections, then those imperfections should be addressed by the vendor. I think that sometimes some vendors are raised up on a pedestal and can do no wrong (Im not saying that's what has happened here, but just a general observation). I have no personal experience with SK with the exception of a brief communication and quote for my halo reset. To be honest, I was a bit turned off by the lack of customer service that I received and that was the end of it.
I wish you the best of luck OP and I hope that you get your issues resolved, no matter how small they may seem to anyone else =)

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1424267782|3834298 said:
The things that were not consistent would really bother me (the left and right shank where they meet the head ), the shank
not looking round (symmetrical) and that one prong from the not-so-up close picture looks like a single prong. I would certainly go back and ask these things to be fixed.

Maybe I'm seeing things...but, do you think the lack of symmetry in the band might actually be a polishing issue? In his first attempt at my remake with David Klass, when I got it, I was sure that the top of one of the channels was slanted crookedly. When I sent it back to him, like you, with my long list of issues, he said he took at look at the channel and it was actually uneven polishing. The structure of the channel was even, but the way it had been polished made it look funky to the naked eye.
I can see from the view from the top that they knife-edge is uneven...but the rest of the band looks pretty good to me.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
i think i agree with most of your points and/concerns.
I'm not sure why you weren't involved in the initial process of working with SK.

information will always be lost/interpreted differently when passed down by another user.

if sk had such a great time working on your ring, i'm sure he will be happy to fix it for you.

i would voice all my concerns instead of just the ones you think can be "easily" fixed. that's the whole point of you going to SK.

good luck

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1424262654|3834270 said:
I'd fix the shoulder that's bugging you, and then apologize to your fiance for being melodramatic about getting exactly what you asked for, which was some kind of amalgamation of 10 different rings.

After all, he apparently reviewed it with SK and said it was perfect, so I think it's a bit unfair to SK to be attacking him over these tiny details that your fiance apparently didn't see or think you'd care about.

It is, after all, just a ring and giving yourself a coronary over things like how many half mm are between two nearly identical sets of claw prongs, well...I just don't personally think it's a good use of time. But it's your ring and you have to be happy with it, so I guess your only option is to show another round of marked up drawings to SK and see what happens.

I don't quite agree. It's not just a ring, it's an investment purchased from a top designer. That said, lots of PSers deal in checking out half mms and view everything with an eye toward perfection, so I don't think it's a waste of time to get what you feel comfortable with. After all, this is a "forever" ring.

When I got my square cut setting from SK the prongs were not quite even. They told me that the stone dictated the placement, so I accepted what I had originally thought was a flaw and was happy to have an SK. But I can see that what she is talking about is an entirely different type of problem.

Best of luck to the OP!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1424294384|3834514 said:
kb1gra|1424262654|3834270 said:

I don't quite agree. It's not just a ring, it's an investment purchased from a top designer. That said, lots of PSers deal in checking out half mms and view everything with an eye toward perfection, so I don't think it's a waste of time to get what you feel comfortable with. After all, this is a "forever" ring.

When I got my square cut setting from SK the prongs were not quite even. They told me that the stone dictated the placement, so I accepted what I had originally thought was a flaw and was happy to have an SK. But I can see that what she is talking about is an entirely different type of problem.

Best of luck to the OP!

I agree with you jimmianne. People pay a lot of money and invest a lot of time and energy into finding the perfect ring and while a perfect ring might not exist, a designer like SK should be able to execute a person's wishes pretty darn close. I didn't see where any of this was an attack on SK - OP was quite kind about it actually, but she still has a right to express her concerns.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
TMI and poo fiance

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the first problem is that you were not involved directly with Steven so I'd give him a pass on design differences. That can be remedied the second time around. He does want to make you happy with the ring. He reset my engagement ring for me and I thought the ring was stunning but the prongs weren't right. I felt funny about saying anything but I made an appointment to speak with him about it. I flew up one day from Miami and went to his office. While I waited, the prongs were reshaped to my desire. In an hour, I was back in a taxi and soon after flying home. He also recently made me a french cut band. At the same time, he took a ruby band I bought from another vendor and thinned some of the uneven metal, polished it, and didn't charge me a dime. You don't get that kind of service everyday.

I hope you work it out with Steven and have a similar story to tell when all is said and done. :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I applaud his time and effort, but waiting a full month after receiving it when you know someone is really particular is just asking for disappointment.

I hope SK can fix it to your liking. I would not settle for a few tweaks. I would want it PERFECT, how I asked for it, since there was a ton of money invested.

I wish all male readers of this forum would read and memorize and live by this one line (ok three lines) I am about to post:
DO NOT SURPRISE YOUR FIANCES WITH A RING SHE HAD ZERO INVOLVEMENT ON, AND IF YOU DO IT ANYWAY, PROPOSE IMMEDIATELY AFTER PICKING IT UP SO IT CAN BE RETURNED, EXCHANGED, ALTERED OR WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT *HER* DREAM RING. IF YOU DON'T, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE UPSET OR ANGRY IF SHE'S NOT HAPPY WITH IT. You can still make the proposal a surprise. She's gonna wear this thing for the rest of her life, right? In theory anyway. It needs to include her in the process.

I know that's awfully declarative, but why spend the money on something she isn't part of designing? That whole "if she loves me she'll love what I pick" line is bull. That is controlling nonsense.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, I agree with you, but in this case she DID design the ring and speak with SK initially. And it sounds like she hasn't been back in the US until now since the ring was given to her, so I see why she couldn't easily return it sooner. There is little doubt that the entire ring will have to be remade to address all the concerns. The prongs aren't going to be able to be made larger, for one.

realtoki...best of luck on the bar exam! Hope you can drop off the ring soon!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1424316579|3834670 said:
I applaud his time and effort, but waiting a full month after receiving it when you know someone is really particular is just asking for disappointment.

I hope SK can fix it to your liking. I would not settle for a few tweaks. I would want it PERFECT, how I asked for it, since there was a ton of money invested.

I wish all male readers of this forum would read and memorize and live by this one line (ok three lines) I am about to post:
DO NOT SURPRISE YOUR FIANCES WITH A RING SHE HAD ZERO INVOLVEMENT ON, AND IF YOU DO IT ANYWAY, PROPOSE IMMEDIATELY AFTER PICKING IT UP SO IT CAN BE RETURNED, EXCHANGED, ALTERED OR WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT *HER* DREAM RING. IF YOU DON'T, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE UPSET OR ANGRY IF SHE'S NOT HAPPY WITH IT. You can still make the proposal a surprise. She's gonna wear this thing for the rest of her life, right? In theory anyway. It needs to include her in the process.

I know that's awfully declarative, but why spend the money on something she isn't part of designing? That whole "if she loves me she'll love what I pick" line is bull. That is controlling nonsense.

OT but to continue this thought, I also hate when men post and say "She said she would like X, but I know she'll be happy with a cracker jack ring!" Um, no. I'm sure there are women out there who truly don't care about an e-ring... but I've never met one.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Srsly.

realtoki

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input!
(Sorry for the late response. Last minute studying and stress is no fun.)

I WAS directly involved in the design process with our first designer because my bf knows how extremely particular I am and wanted me to have exactly what I wanted for a forever ring. After all the back and forth with that first jeweler and when we finally decided to work with Steven, my bf started looking into all my design requests and it was actually really cute seeing him get all excited, discussing the setting using terms like cathedral, melees, and shank haha! He said ring designing was really fun and he seemed to have a good idea of exactly what I wanted.

And yes, I did initially speak to SK, but bf took it from there, and said no more involvement! I kept asking to see the final outcome to "confirm" it.. and I guess that's where the wrong could have been mitigated. He apparently was mesmerized by all the sparkle and seeing the loose stone set in a beautiful home that he neglected to scrutinize on the tiny details. I forgive him. He has been ever very patient with me and always on my side, and I am truly the crazy one with never ending scrutiny.

I agree, TMI re my beautiful ring has been bashed and I hope I can bring redemption after getting her prettied up :) Stay tuned!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
realtoki|1424358333|3834817 said:
Thank you all for your input!
(Sorry for the late response. Last minute studying and stress is no fun.)

I WAS directly involved in the design process with our first designer because my bf knows how extremely particular I am and wanted me to have exactly what I wanted for a forever ring. After all the back and forth with that first jeweler and when we finally decided to work with Steven, my bf started looking into all my design requests and it was actually really cute seeing him get all excited, discussing the setting using terms like cathedral, melees, and shank haha! He said ring designing was really fun and he seemed to have a good idea of exactly what I wanted.

And yes, I did initially speak to SK, but bf took it from there, and said no more involvement! I kept asking to see the final outcome to "confirm" it.. and I guess that's where the wrong could have been mitigated. He apparently was mesmerized by all the sparkle and seeing the loose stone set in a beautiful home that he neglected to scrutinize on the tiny details. I forgive him. He has been ever very patient with me and always on my side, and I am truly the crazy one with never ending scrutiny.

I agree, TMI re my beautiful ring has been bashed and I hope I can bring redemption after getting her prettied up :) Stay tuned!

First of all, your ring is beautiful. I can see what you mean about the right side being higher/more curved and about the prongs, so I would ask to get that fixed. You seem to be a lot like me (very OCD about "what you want" and you know it...), so I totally understand where you're coming from, realtoki... believe me!! That said, you really should've been the one working with SK throughout the entire ordeal (kudos to you for keeping your sanity through it all ::) )... So, now it's just a matter of getting the ring like you wanted, and like ame and others have said, if he's gonna have to make it all over again anyway... you may as well get it EXACTLY how you want it. Good luck to you. :))

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1424316579|3834670 said:

DO NOT SURPRISE YOUR FIANCES WITH A RING SHE HAD ZERO INVOLVEMENT ON (UNLESS THAT IS EXPLICITLY WHAT SHE SAYS SHE WANTS), AND IF YOU DO IT ANYWAY, PROPOSE IMMEDIATELY AFTER PICKING IT UP SO IT CAN BE RETURNED, EXCHANGED, ALTERED OR WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT *HER* DREAM RING. IF YOU DON'T, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE UPSET OR ANGRY IF SHE'S NOT HAPPY WITH IT. You can still make the proposal a surprise. She's gonna wear this thing for the rest of her life, right? In theory anyway. It needs to include her in the process.

Fixed. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results