shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping for Pearls in NYC?

Randrese

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I was hoping to compile a few reliable, reputable places to visit this weekend in search of pearls and pearl jewelry. I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest or recommend stores in NYC that would have some natural and beautiful pearls?

I am trying to find some high grade pearls, and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about shopping online from reputable vendors such as Pearl Paradise, Pearl of Joy and The Pearl Outlet to name a few?

I have purchased from all three with great results, can't fault them, and I am in the UK!

DK :))

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had good luck with American Pearl (in midtown). You need to phone for an appointment. They have beautiful Akoya and Tahitians.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Honora used to have a store on 57th, but I think they closed.

I imagine you could find a jewelry-mart type place, with lots of vendors. Also, any high-end store will probably have pearls.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to spend $$$$ 5th avenue in midtown also has a Mikimoto store, Tiffany's, and Harry Winston. But American Pearl sells very good quality pearls at closer to wholesale prices (similar to the online stores mentionned). They are primarily a wholesale/online business, and have offices in midtown (they are not a store). I have yet to see Akoya pearls nicer than what I bought from them (equal to, often at way higher prices, but not nicer), and the Tahitians were spectacular when I was there (I just couldn't buy both, so I bought what I went for). They also carry WSS, GSS and freshwater pearls, but you have to phone for an appointment in advance, and their stock may vary. They are very nice people there too.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1423929223|3832500 said:
If you want to spend $$$$ 5th avenue in midtown also has a Mikimoto store, Tiffany's, and Harry Winston. But American Pearl sells very good quality pearls at closer to wholesale prices (similar to the online stores mentionned). They are primarily a wholesale/online business, and have offices in midtown (they are not a store). I have yet to see Akoya pearls nicer than what I bought from them (equal to, often at way higher prices, but not nicer), and the Tahitians were spectacular when I was there (I just couldn't buy both, so I bought what I went for). They also carry WSS, GSS and freshwater pearls, but you have to phone for an appointment in advance, and their stock may vary. They are very nice people there too.

I have heard good things about American Pearl too.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Cmd - good info . I didn't realise they had an office that you could visit. That would be worth a visit. I'm going through NYC for a few days in October and I might just take advantage of this ! Thanks for that info. :appl:

Rand - welcome and I think cmd's suggestion is excellent and well worth checking out as the best option for lower prices. Everyone else has suggested excellent retail stores as well . And it's a very good idea to visit those stores and see what you get for the money.

What I do ..is take a photo of the pearls with the business card of the salesperson ..and the price. Then you can remember where you saw the versions strands . It will give you a record of the quality and prices before you go to American pearl. You can see then whether or not you are getting a bargain.

Another thing to look at ..is when you take a photo of pearls you see a circle in the center of the pearl where the light reflects. The sharper the edge of that circle is .. The better the surface. It's almost easier to see this in a photo.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katbran,

If you are in midtown, Xian famous foods is an excellent lunch stop for spicy noodle dishes of all kinds. Midtown is a bit disappointing in terms of food quality in most places, but this place is a gem.

The nice thing about nyc is that many of the high end B&M stores are all within a few blocks radius, so you can do direct comparisons. I'm not sure most will let you take photos though (although I have to admit I didn't ask).

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Katbran, meet me in NYC for lunch and pearls in Oct :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are few things in the world that I love more than spicy noodles !!! I've made a note of that restaurant ! Thanks for that !!

CRDKeshi ! Sounds good ! When I get the trip sorted and end date finalized I'll let you know where I will be... I'll leave John to shop at Barneys lol

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Katbran, my hubby doesn't have much interest in talking pearls either ... unless it's going to affect his "bottom line" LOL :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results