shape
carat
color
clarity

need morganite advice

natapiku

Rough_Rock
hello! i need advice from you knowledgeable people. i fell in love with morganite set in rose gold and want that as an engagement ring. the only thing is, i want a small round stone. nothing bigger than 6.5mm diameter. from my searches online (only found 2 rings with morganite in jewellery stores, both oval and with halos) they're usually much bigger than that. is a small morganite a feasible option for an e-ring? i like simple delicate settings, like a basic solitaire with 6 prongs. is morganite durable enough to wear every day? any advice will be very very appreciated! thanks :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morganite is irradiated these days and can fade in color. I don't believe the treatment is detectable, therefore, you should be careful about where you buy it from.

Morganite, like aqua (both beryls) are not durable enough for every day rings unless you're very careful with your jewelry. They can get chipped quite easily.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an alternative, you can find a Morganite-like soft pink in Spinel which is a much more durable gemstone and an excellent choice for an every-day ring.

For example, GemFix has this 7.2mm Pink Spinel (#316), so a bit larger than your preferred 6.5mm but I had the opportunity to see this Spinel in person last week and it is really a beauty with great performance - I would describe it as a soft baby pink, bright only in the sense that it is a brilliant stone (not that the color is a bright pink). It would be lovely and elegant in a simple solitaire setting.

http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html

spinel_316.jpg

Even if this stone doesn't appeal to you or is too large, I would encourage you to consider Spinels rather than Morganites if you want a ring for daily wear.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS!

You did pick a tough shape and size to find in morganite. I couldn't really find any loose stones, even looking for round pairs that might be smaller.

I found some rings already made, like this one from Lord of Gem Rings on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/189890...home_active_2&ga_search_query=6.5mm+morganite

Solid 14k White, Yellow or Rose Gold,2.53grams for size7,Ring can be resized
Band width 1.85mm,thickness 1.1mm
6.5mm Round Cut Pink Morganite
0.06ct Round Full Cut SI/H Diamonds
Bezel,Prong set

I agree with others who have said the durability of morganite is not the best for a ring you'll wear everyday, but it looks like you can choose a setting that will be more protective if this is what you have your heart set on.

Good luck in your search, and congratulations on your engagement! =)

il_195.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! :wavey:

It's so lovely to see a post about a gem that we don't often talk about. I love Morganite but it doesn't love me unfortunately - I am apparently morganite coloured so it fades into me! :lol:

I would never ever recommend this route normally BUT in the UK jewellery tv shopping channels all stock Morganite at very reasonable prices and it might be worth having a look there. I personally haven't experienced fading on my Morganites (but I have on my Kunzite).

Just something to be aware of, Morganite can be pink or peach - the peach ones can look a bit brown. Unfortunately I tipped coffee all over my laptop and have lost all of my photos until it comes back from the laptop hospital otherwise I'd show you the difference in colour of mine. Good luck with the search though.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Morganite engagement rings are tremendously popular on Etsy; I'm sure you can find something lovely and it would be budget-friendly, too. Would you consider a bezel? As others have mentioned, morganite can be a little fragile for daily wear, and while a bezel won't protect the top of the stone from abrasion, it can at least save the edges (the girdle) from chipping.

This is a pretty 5mm one, in a very hefty setting (which may not be to your taste!): https://www.etsy.com/listing/186053776/morganite-engagement-ring-morganite-ring?ref=fp_item&aref=25791745321

And a 7mm one, in a much more delicate bezel. https://www.etsy.com/listing/162670285/satin-finish-7mm-round-vs-morganite?ref=favs_view_14

Two larger morganites in simple prong settings (juliabjewelry is an Etsy vendor others have had good luck with; perhaps she could make a custom smaller-diameter simple prong-set morganite ring?) but of course you'd risk damaging the fragile girdle.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/201724594/peachy-pink-morganite-in-rose-gold-lily?ref=shop_home_active_24&ga_search_query=morganite
https://www.etsy.com/listing/185487627/peachy-pink-morganite-in-rose-gold?ref=shop_home_active_12&ga_search_query=morganite

marymm is a wise member of this forum and she had a great idea to suggest spinel, which comes in similar colors but tends to be more durable. Sapphire is another option but may be more expensive in similar color range. Another well-known vendor here seems to be deliberately collecting peachy-morganite-colored spinels -- http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html (his photos tend to be more saturated than the stones look in real life)

Can you help us understand what color you prefer (peach, pinky-peach, peachy-pink, pink), and what your budget is? Budget probably won't be a big issue with morganite, but if you are interested in sapphire or spinel it may be more of a consideration.

Welcome to PS! :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1421599890|3818441 said:
Welcome! :wavey:

It's so lovely to see a post about a gem that we don't often talk about. I love Morganite but it doesn't love me unfortunately - I am apparently morganite coloured so it fades into me! :lol:

I would never ever recommend this route normally BUT in the UK jewellery tv shopping channels all stock Morganite at very reasonable prices and it might be worth having a look there. I personally haven't experienced fading on my Morganites (but I have on my Kunzite).

Just something to be aware of, Morganite can be pink or peach - the peach ones can look a bit brown. Unfortunately I tipped coffee all over my laptop and have lost all of my photos until it comes back from the laptop hospital otherwise I'd show you the difference in colour of mine. Good luck with the search though.

Ha ha, I have an 8 carat morganite, very pretty orangy pink color, that I bought from an American shopping channel around 20 years ago. It has not faded, but I rarely wore it. It's sitting around loose now because the setting was boring.

I'm not sure if they were irradiating them back then though.

natapiku

Rough_Rock
thank you for all the info, i love the shape and sparkle of the spinel you suggested marymm however i would prefer a smaller stone, with more of a peachy shade. i love the stone of the LOGR but not the setting. this is more what i am looking for: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/69/d0/e169d0093ff581a5366a4930c5f82e2f.jpg or that https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fa/e4/62/fae4620b3df1bdb3c96d8d57deea4ca5.jpg . i am looking for a slightly peach or peachy-pink coloured stone, just not white, so it goes well with rose or yellow gold. i havent found any bezel styles i like evergreen, altough the 7mm one you posted is very pretty. i also love the peachy spinels on http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html except theyre still not the size or shape i wanted. the budget is $500-750 for the entire ring, though the cheaper the better :) i will definitely check out the shopping channel, but i feel they may be overpriced. do you have any experience with etsy? i did find rings i really liked from rosadosbox, but im hesitant about buying such an important ring online...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For Xmas 2013, I gave one of my nieces a diamond "bubble ring" from Rosado's Box to wear as a stacker; the little, bezeled diamonds were eyeclean and fine in color (they looked more like F's rather than the G color described in the listing) & the rose gold was a lovely hue.

But I don't care for the morganites I'm seeing there on my quick foray around their web site-- and since the pics are "stock" photos; you can't be certain of the morganite that would actually be set in the ring you receive (unless they agree to send you pics before setting the stone). So I'd like to think you can do better. Are you in a rush?

Circus

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I second the other suggestions of going with spinel instead of morganite. While morganite's gorgeous, it will chip and scuff in an everyday ring unless you're willing to baby it - ie, take it off whenever you're at home, avoid doing anything much with your hands when wearing it, cleaning it every few days etc.

It may be a bit harder to find spinel in the right shade, shape and size, but you'll ultimately get a far more durable and sparkly ring. Considering that you're looking for a very specific size, shape and colour, I'd recommend contacting some vendors to see if they have any rough they could cut for you. From what I can tell, near colourless spinel tends to show flashes of pink - that could be a gorgeous option.

Julia B jewellery tends to stock peachy pink spinels, and you could ask her what she has available to have cut etc: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/JuliaBJewelry?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

Pristine gemstones could be an option: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/PristineGemstones?section_id=11348698&page=2

Jeff Davies has some really reasonably priced stuff: http://stores.ebay.com/finegemstonesandjewelry/Spinel-/_i.html?_fsub=14

And you could check in at Master cut gems: http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php

Best of Luck!

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
There are some nice ready-made rings here https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Studio1040?section_id=12012349&page=1

They have lots of peachy pink morganites and sapphires as well, which may be an option depending on your budget. You may be able to buy a loose stone from them if you enquire. They have a lot of small rounds and some of the stones have GIA certificates, if that's important to you.

I haven't bought from them, but they have a lot of positive reviews.

This isn't quite what you specified in your original post, but I thought the rose cut was sweet. Would make a lovely stacker as well.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/208153762/oval-rose-cut-peach-champagne-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_15

il_570xn_671104285_25h3.jpg

natapiku

Rough_Rock
hi, i think i would rather spend more money and get a light pink sapphire since i havent seen any spinels that arent super pink. i think theyre beautiful stones but just not for what i am looking for. i really want a rose gold ring with a stone that has just a hint of peachy pink. if anyone has an idea of where i could get that, please let me know. thanks!

natapiku

Rough_Rock
InToTheMystic|1421787322|3819441 said:
There are some nice ready-made rings here https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Studio1040?section_id=12012349&page=1

They have lots of peachy pink morganites and sapphires as well, which may be an option depending on your budget. You may be able to buy a loose stone from them if you enquire. They have a lot of small rounds and some of the stones have GIA certificates, if that's important to you.

I haven't bought from them, but they have a lot of positive reviews.

This isn't quite what you specified in your original post, but I thought the rose cut was sweet. Would make a lovely stacker as well.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/208153762/oval-rose-cut-peach-champagne-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_15

that is super cute, but it doesnt feel like an engagement ring... i am in no rush, i will keep looking until i find the one! :D

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I had helpful advice...I would strongly consider searching for a spinel or sapphire in your preferred color range so that you have a better chance of having a "forever" stone since this is for your ering. If I see anything I will certainly post.

On another note, has anyone bought from the etsy seller posted above (Studio 1040)? Their stuff keeps coming up in my searches but wondered if anyone had experience with her work.

natapiku

Rough_Rock
i found this light pink sapphire on gemselect. it was only $60 so i bought it to see what i looks like in person and to see if a jeweller can set it in a ring for me. since i have no idea what constitutes a good quality gem, can you take a look and let me know what you think? i just love the faint pink colour plus its the right shape and size :) thanks! sapphire_7.jpg sapphire2_9.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No video with the listing? What are the mm measurements?

natapiku

Rough_Rock
these are all the info i have:

Weight: 0.79 ct
Size: 5.3 mm (diameter) x 3.51 mm (depth)
Shape: Round Facet
Clarity: VS
Treatment: Heated
Origin: Tanzania

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fair price for the sapphire. Cutting isn't the best but no glaring issues. You said you love the pale pink, so no concerns there.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it could be pretty in person. In the photos it seems like it is paler around the edges, but you will have to judge in person. If the color and size meet your goals, is could be a good find -- affordable & more durable than morganite for daily wear. When you get it, be sure to look at it in all kinds of light -- indoor incandescent, indoor flourescent, outdoor sunny, outdoor cloudy. Think about what types of lighting you are in the most, and whether you like the look of the stone in that lighting.

You should be able to get a jeweler to set it for you, though they may not take responsibility for damage to the stone. Since you said you like simple 6-prong solitaire settings you should be able to find a stock mounting for a reasonable price. They may also charge a setting fee, as well as marking up the setting a bit since they won't make money on selling you a stone. Do you have a budget or metal color preference (sorry if I missed this in previous posts)?

natapiku

Rough_Rock
i really love 14k rose gold, since my budget was $500-750 and the stone was only $60, im pretty sure i can find a setting i like. especially because i like thinner bands. i will definately test out the stone in all lightings. im getting very excited now :) thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kings7911|1421783597|3819416 said:
I'm not sure if someone already posted this, but I found a 6.5mm round morganite here:
http://www.gemselect.com/morganite/morganite-265146.php
However it's only $24 which is a little concerning to me. Not sure why its so cheap! Maybe someone else here can tell.

Looks like it's sold. It has an obvious cut issue.

natapiku

Rough_Rock
that is the ring i wanted back when i was looking for morganite rings :D do you think i should get the setting and get a jeweller to put the stone in it or send the stone to rosadosbox for them to do it (if thats something theyre willing to do)i live in montreal so i want to avoid as much international shipping charges as possible

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I might start by visiting a few local jewelers and asking them about stock settings that they have available in rose gold. They may be able to find you something extremely similar, or be able to make minor alterations to a stock piece to get this look. They should have catalogs you can look thru, as well as examples of some settings. If you can buy it locally you won't have to worry about shipping/international taxes, and you can also get a better sense of the jeweler's work. I would pay attention to how much they mark up the settings, what the weight of the settings are, whether they are hollow or solid, what their costs/guarantees are for setting outside stones, what their workmanship is like (take a look at some pieces in store, esp. custom pieces -- how are the prongs? are stones set level?), what their return policy is like. If you get a couple of quotes on settings you like you may be able to get them to price match. You could even try to get them to match the price from online if the setting is really close. I would only order the stone and setting separately and get it set locally if you (1) cannot find anything else you like as much or (2) cannot find anything at a competitive price. I would probably be willing to pay up to $100 more to be able to avoid the headaches of shipping and get it done locally if I thought the outcome would be comparable. Also I think the reviews for rosados box are mixed esp. re: returns. Good luck!!

natapiku

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for the advice, i will do that as soon as my sapphire arrives. cant wait! :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The sapphire looks very faint pink, but it's hard to read color of gems in pictures. Let us know what you think of it when it arrives.

natapiku

Rough_Rock
hey guys,
the sapphire has finally arrived! it looks just like in the picture, very very faint pink. it really sparkles though :D both in natural light and under a lamp. i think it will look beautiful with rose gold, maybe bring out the colour of the gem too. i tried taking some photos but i dont have a good macro function on my camera so the pictures dont look good at all. now i just need to find the perfect setting and it will be ready. so far, ive talked to many different jewelers in montreal. each has a different price for pretty much the same setting. how should i choose the right one to set the gem in the mounting? does anyone have any suggestions?
thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
natapiku|1424201456|3833967 said:
hey guys,
the sapphire has finally arrived! it looks just like in the picture, very very faint pink. it really sparkles though :D both in natural light and under a lamp. i think it will look beautiful with rose gold, maybe bring out the colour of the gem too. i tried taking some photos but i dont have a good macro function on my camera so the pictures dont look good at all. now i just need to find the perfect setting and it will be ready. so far, ive talked to many different jewelers in montreal. each has a different price for pretty much the same setting. how should i choose the right one to set the gem in the mounting? does anyone have any suggestions?
thank you!

Not sure of your budget on the mounting, but since it's a round stone, you should be able to also look online for some nice calibrated settings. Ebay dealers like jewelryhoo and LOGR have lots of them for affordable prices, and you can choose 10, 14 or 18K gold and rose, white or yellow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results