shape
carat
color
clarity

Temp Check

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was cold enough with the wind that i put on pants to go to the store today but not to take out the garbage.
-2.4f now but doesn't feel cold because the wind died down. Shorts weather.
Was +2F with a 30-40mph wind earlier when I was out at the store.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
It was -25C here. Brr. It is now -8 and my husband had the audacity to say 'its actually nice outside now it's warmed up.' :shock: :???:

I used to walk to work, about a forty minute walk. I'd stick my nose outside and see how it felt. I was pretty accurate with my nose thermometer technique. One day it seemed cold, about -25, so I bundled up and off to work I went. I'd have to stop and defrost my eyelashes every few minutes because the condensation from my breath was making them freeze shut. My eyes were the only things exposed, as usual, but I'd never had the freezing problem before. Anyway, I get to work in the usual time, no probs, and my co-workers rush over and start taking my scarf and mitts off looking for frostbite! Dudes, chill! They were all concerned about the silly young foreigner. It was cute. I was fine, but it turns out that anything less than -20 just feels horribly cold, and I'd been walking in -40! Oops.

The coldest I've ever been in was -53. I've no idea what the windchill was. The hottest I've been in was 46 in the Kalahari (missed 52 by a couple of days). I'm truly not sure which is worse, they are both horrible in their own fashion.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1420636316|3812937 said:
sarahb|1420598780|3812799 said:
I love weather, but this cold is for the birds.

Come on Sarah ;-)

I'll take cold and light snow over 27 and lake effect a million times over.

yeahhhh...I know, I guess it was just a jolt to the system, the first big one of the year always is :) anyway, it beats 98 degrees & 80% humidity...

Sitting here looking out the picture window, it is gorgeous outside--gentle snow, etc.

In the meantime, whats the latest with the marq. project? :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1420869051|3814455 said:
It was cold enough with the wind that i put on pants to go to the store today but not to take out the garbage.

I cannot live in a climate like that. On another board I am on a woman from Alaska and a man from Minnesota have been calmly discussing walking dogs 3 miles in -15 degrees F temperatures. (The Alaskan woman says she gets "wimpy" at -20F.) My genes should have prepared me for cold winters, but something got soft here in Connecticut, I guess!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1420870396|3814468 said:
It was -25C here. Brr. It is now -8 and my husband had the audacity to say 'its actually nice outside now it's warmed up.' :shock: :???:

I used to walk to work, about a forty minute walk. I'd stick my nose outside and see how it felt. I was pretty accurate with my nose thermometer technique. One day it seemed cold, about -25, so I bundled up and off to work I went. I'd have to stop and defrost my eyelashes every few minutes because the condensation from my breath was making them freeze shut. My eyes were the only things exposed, as usual, but I'd never had the freezing problem before. Anyway, I get to work in the usual time, no probs, and my co-workers rush over and start taking my scarf and mitts off looking for frostbite! Dudes, chill! They were all concerned about the silly young foreigner. It was cute. I was fine, but it turns out that anything less than -20 just feels horribly cold, and I'd been walking in -40! Oops.

The coldest I've ever been in was -53. I've no idea what the windchill was. The hottest I've been in was 46 in the Kalahari (missed 52 by a couple of days). I'm truly not sure which is worse, they are both horrible in their own fashion.

I'd have to do the calculations to Fahrenheit to have an accurate sense of your posting, Jane. I only have a few Celsius numbers that guide me. 40 is the one I use for very hot outside!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1420927891|3814682 said:

I'd have to do the calculations to Fahrenheit to have an accurate sense of your posting, Jane.

OK.

-53 degrees C is -63.4 degrees F.
48 degrees C is 118.4 degrees F.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry bout that. I should learn to speak Imperial. In the meantime,

_25941.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1420808213|3813954 said:
Canadian checking in...*sigh*. It's been -30C with wind chill this past week. But life continues just the same. Schools still open, people still walking outside. A touch of snow, but the sun has been out for the most part (rare, for this time of the year).

Yup. Coming home from dinner saw the dog walkers and joggers. Normally we see cyclists--but it is already dark. But tomorrow! I wish I didn't relate. :lol:

cheers--Sharon

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Mild day in my corner of Africa. Just 38C/100F. :D

I'm pregnant, so as you can imagine, I'm really feeling the heat!

I didn't realise it gets quite that hot in the Kalahari, but I can believe it! I spent some time there in the summer a few years ago and it was HOT! I now understand why my Bushman ancestors used to walk at night and sleep during the day. The heat is so intense that they would sleep under a paste of urine and sand to protect their skin. It gets HOT.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1420927556|3814677 said:
Karl_K|1420869051|3814455 said:

I cannot live in a climate like that. On another board I am on a woman from Alaska and a man from Minnesota have been calmly discussing walking dogs 3 miles in -15 degrees F temperatures. (The Alaskan woman says she gets "wimpy" at -20F.) My genes should have prepared me for cold winters, but something got soft here in Connecticut, I guess!

before I ruined my elbow I wouldn't even wear a coat until it got below 10 above, just a light windbreaker.
My elbow wont take that anymore so wear a coat when it gets below 30 or so.
It doesn't bug me to wear shorts when its cold but I get some comments when I am wearing a winter coat with shorts LOL.
Its weird the really cold outside don't bug me but 72f inside and in a few hours my knees and elbows are cracking and popping so bad they sound like popcorn. We kept the apartment hot because of it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1420963740|3814830 said:
Mild day in my corner of Africa. Just 38C/100F. :D

I'm pregnant, so as you can imagine, I'm really feeling the heat!

First, congratulations on your pregnancy! I didn't know. Wonderful news.

Second, 38C degrees is obviously an important number for me to remember since it correlates with 100F degrees.
I had always remembered 40C degrees (as mentioned) because my Italian mother-in-law once said it had gotten to be 40 degrees in Israel one day when she lived there and was very hot! I just looked up 40C degrees and it it 104F degrees. Hot, indeed, but not something we do not experience here as well!

W do not, however, ever have days that reach 118F degrees! Ever.

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I'd bump this up as we're having a blast of a weekend :-o

2015-02-15_weather.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be a cold week in our region that's for sure. When I woke up today it was 1 degree not taking into account the windchill which brought the temperature well into negative territory. Brrrrr it's cold.
Stay warm and safe kids!

brrrcold.jpg

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
6 degrees at 9 am. I may never leave the house.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on Long Island and when my husband left for work this morning the car said 1!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
0 degrees at 7am (not including the wind chill). I had to carry the dog this morning for his walk. Then as I was putting him on the ground to do his business he peed on me. ugh!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I am at work so here on the base in NC it's 28 with low of 11 tonight and expected flurries tonight and tomorrow a.m.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 right now, high of 9, low -7.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
This morning -15, felt like -40

Right now 3, feels like -20

Tonight it will be -10, feels like -32

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low of 19, High of 30... 28 right now. BRRRRR!!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Cold. 2 degrees right now and we are supposed to have -9 degrees tonight. Brrrrrrrr!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It currently 6 with a wind chill of -11..its going down to -12 tonight with wind chills at -20 to -30..needless to say kid was out of school today and probably will be out tomorrow as well.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Right now it's about 80, a few weeks ago I was fishing in 120 degree weather with strong winds and it wasn't too much fun lol

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike 120F as much as 17F with NW wind.

So the week hasn't progressed into better weather ;( It'll be below freezing for the next 10 days

2015-02-19__weather.png

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Kaneohe Bay refers to Where we are stationed in Hawaii :)

_27403.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candygrl, that forecast looks like fantasy land as it's supposed to hit 2F tonight.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Baby monster ugh that sounds yucky! I am definitely thankful to live somewhere warm.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
56 degrees and 28mph winds in the San Francisco Bay Area

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candygrl, I am soooooo jealous. It's 2 degrees in my Chicago suburb today!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking in from sunny alberta with +12C (53F). We've had an amazing (knock on wood) winter so far. Can't complain when we're warmer than houston/atlanta/monterrey.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results