shape
carat
color
clarity

5.25 blue sapphire- possibly the one?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had to pick one, then I would pick the one that is already set (the ring) over the loose stone. Both darken to the point of looking extinct under indoor lighting but if you are all right with that (price is good, love the diffused sun colour, challenging search, etc), then I think the decision will become clearer to you as to whether this is it or to keep looking.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the challenge of the search has become frustrating because after looking at inventories of so many dealers- what was told to me is my best option is to have someone do a recut. That just makes me nervous because what happens if I don't like the end result? :-o

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1423879306|3832215 said:
I guess the challenge of the search has become frustrating because after looking at inventories of so many dealers- what was told to me is my best option is to have someone do a recut. That just makes me nervous because what happens if I don't like the end result? :-o

Your fears are warranted because its an expensive stone, and you don't know how much carat weight you'll lose, or if the stone will lose saturation as well, which is often the case with recuts.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I know if I look at lighter stones, they will not go as dark indoors. I just don't really love the lighter stones and My problem seems to be that the color I personally love the most is the color of the stone in the ring when it looks its BEST. You can clearly see a big difference in the photos of when the ring looks awesome, and when it does not. IS it possible to find a stone that is that color I love (a more royal type of blue/violet) almost all of the time? Without spending 20k per ct or buying a kashmir?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1423885277|3832268 said:
I know if I look at lighter stones, they will not go as dark indoors. I just don't really love the lighter stones and My problem seems to be that the color I personally love the most is the color of the stone in the ring when it looks its BEST. You can clearly see a big difference in the photos of when the ring looks awesome, and when it does not. IS it possible to find a stone that is that color I love (a more royal type of blue/violet) almost all of the time? Without spending 20k per ct or buying a kashmir?

Then you have to get a smaller stone, but with better color that holds its saturation in various lighting. As said before, there's always trade offs to fit your budget.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one that is already set could still be a good option for you IF the price is reasonable and IF it looks it best in the lighting you are mostly in and IF you can appreciate the navy if the lighting is less ideal. Personally I would go for this stone but it's a very personal choice and it should be your personal trade off.

A stone that is always ideal and fits your budget might be a lot smaller.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
I feel for you, I know how an initially exciting search can become frustrating! It's easy to see which ones you don't want, but then when you have to narrow it down it's tough because it feels like you might miss out on something better later. I was recently searching for a purple sapphire and when I started out I wanted a deep purple stone but the more I saw, the more I realized I wasn't going to be happy with that level of saturation when it was being "moody" and dark in some lighting, so I went with more of a crayola purple that seems to hold its color really well and couldn't be happier. That being said, there aren't many colors that I don't like so it was an easy choice for me, and you have said that you don't like the lighter colored stones as much so I think that you would end up being unhappy if you went that route. And, even some lighter sapphires will go flat in some lighting (although not black).

If I had to choose between the set and loose sapphire, I would choose the set one. If you set all the trade ideals and technical specifications aside, does it knock your socks off? How often are you seeing its "dark side"? I think the navy is lovely too, but I love navy. If it's that gorgeous blueberry blue in most lighting, and you love it, I would go for it. Since the vendor has also offered the option of trading up if they find a better stone that is a plus too (as long as the new stone doesn't have an astronomical price). Also think about how it will feel if you give it back. If it won't bother you too much, it probably isn't a keeper. Good luck! =)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sometimes the more you learn, the more complicated things become........... I've never had a gem that didn't change it's color dependent on available light. Light and color are connected--less light, more darkness--it's a law of nature. Even diamonds don't sparkle in the dark.........BUT, that gem in 'good' light looks truly gorgeous. Good luck with your decision!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I went back to the store with the intention of passing on it and looked at stones that were smaller as well as way over budget ... and in the end I really do like the one set in the ring! The navy speaks to me and the lighter stones just were not my cup of tea. If they find a better stone, to my eyes, I can trade. the store has some other nice things so if I come along and find the perfect sapphire elsewhere- I can trade this in for a ruby... or emerald! :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! So glad you are keeping it!
More pics please :appl: . It's a beautiful stone and ring.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrat's!! :appl: :love: :appl:

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
This is it at night right now under my reading lamp. Turned off camera flash.

_27085.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So big, beautiful and blue!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
This is with the flash on!

_27086.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium