shape
carat
color
clarity

My Never-ending Diamond Upgrade Saga: 2.56 Carat OEC

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
When I sold my 4 carat cushion and the Single Stone halo it was in last year, I had originally set out to buy a whiter, smaller cushion. After many months of searching and unable to find a suitable antique cushion as they've become rarer, I decided to search for an OEC thinking that it would be easier to find one that pleased me. Boy, was I wrong. I was looking for a very specific faceting pattern, the illusive flower pattern.

Diamond 1: 1.71 GIA F VS2 (OWD)
It had an amazing flowery pattern that I liked, but it seemed (a) too white , (b) too small since I had come from owning a 4 carat diamond, and (c) oddly, too perfect. The stone was very pretty and was reminescent of an AVR.

1_363.jpg
1_364.jpg

Diamond 2: 2.05 GIA I VS1 (OWD)
On paper, this diamond had all the specs I was looking for, the tiny table, the 63% depth, the tall crown, and color. In photos, it was insanely gorgeous, but unfortunately it fell flat for me when I had it in person. The faceting wasn't what I was expecting, but pretty nonetheless.
2_196.jpg
2_197.jpg

Diamond 3: 2.49 J VS 2 (OWD)
I was a bit weary about the J color and the diamond looked AMAZING in the youtube videos Adam provided, so I was excited to see this one. I immediately liked it the moment I saw it in the box, but was unsure about the checkerboard faceting and the color. I waited the next day till I could see the stone in natural light. The color bothered me a lot and the pattern probably didn't help
2_198.jpg
2_199.jpg

Thank you Adam for putting up with my incessant pestering and for always being accomodating. And thanks to K_Darling for eyeballing some of these prospects for me, my favorite still is the 1.7 that you picked out :)

Now, I had gone to the Miami Antiques Show to meet up with MayK and we had an absolute blast trying on the various jewels and drooling over tiaras and 100 carat + sapphire rings. The only thing that was close to what I was looking for was this 2.18 GIA H VS2 OEC that a vendor showed me. I told him I had to think about it and walked away (the price was unreal for the color and carat weight). (sorry for the crappy pic, the lighting at the show wasn't the greatest).
2_200.jpg

After the show, MayK and I met up with Grace after the show, we wanted to see what goods she had bought. I saw the 1.92 GIA E, considered it, but then realized that if an F is too white, an E certainly was. I saw a 2.3 ish? GIA F, in an antique mounting, but that also was way too white but looked HUGE on my hand. The last thing Grace said she had that was remotely close to the size I was looking for was a GIA J, I hesitated since I really wanted to have a GIA I or higher, but I gave in and asked her if I could see it. I am so glad that I did because I literally gasped when I saw it in the diamond paper. I can see the tint, but first and foremost, I saw the most beautiful flower faceting that I have ever seen. It was above my budget, and I had to quickly text the husband to see if he'd be willing to fork out the extra money. He agreed, but said that I'd have to wait a bit for a more permanent setting.

I ruminated over the thought of enlarging the barely visible culet on the stone, and finally pulled the trigger. I am so happy that I did, I think that is what makes the diamond perfect to ME now.

Thanks to Demelza for the 23rd St Jewelers setting, it is complete BUTTER on my hand! And thanks to Grace again, for always treating me well despite all the nagging and pestering of "Did you get any new OECs in yet" emails week after week for the past 7 months. And for getting my completed ring in time to me for Valentine's day!

Anyone have any tips to get the OEC to photograph the way it did loose? This is my absolute favorite pic, it shows the petals in the flowery faceting. :love:
2_201.jpg

Some set pics :

img_5244.jpg
img_5295__1_.jpg
img_5294__1_.jpg
img_5293.jpg

Elysian

Brilliant_Rock
ROL, she is perfection on your hand!!! :love: :appl:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Elysian! I absolutely ADORE your collection! You must post more pics!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a journey you've gone through to get the perfect OEC! Did you mention the stats on your stone other than the J color ? What permanent setting are you thinking about given that you had a blingy SS halo before? Congrats again to you! :appl:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
M-2-B

D'oh I totally forgot about the stats! It's a 2.56 GIA J VVS2, but after enlarging the culet, it lost 3 points so technically it's 2.53 :)

I'm still considering a halo, there is something so alluring about fancy setting to me. I am currently an FNP grad student, so no work to encumber the enjoyment of my bling for now :)

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a journey! I can't wait to see what it's permanent setting will be!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
You have been on quite a journey to find your perfect diamond. Even though it was frustrating at the time, it was great that you were able to see so many different OECs and figure out your perfect color and faceting.

The 2.56 is AMAZING! It is one the most beautiful OEC I have ever seen and I luuuurve it's new culet! :love: I am so glad Grace found it and that you (and your hubby) decided to buy it. I can't wait to see what it's final, dream setting will be. :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new BFF is so stunning! She's beautiful in her new temporary home! :love: :love: :love: because I was lucky enough to have seen her IRl I can testify to how stunning that Diamond is... It amazing! Congratulations! :appl:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Asscher Halo Lover: :) Thank you for your kind words, I still drool over your asscher, one day I'll have one diamond of each shape!

ElleW: Thank you, kindly!

MayK: haaha I told my husband that YOU were going to buy it out from under me if he didn't act quickly :rodent:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1423970119|3832777 said:
Asscher Halo Lover: :) Thank you for your kind words, I still drool over your asscher, one day I'll have one diamond of each shape!

ElleW: Thank you, kindly!

MayK: haaha I told my husband that YOU were going to buy it out from under me if he didn't act quickly :rodent:

I tried to run from the building....with it on my hand, but my feet hurt from all the walking

I did ask Grace if she would take my VC in trade.. :devil: pretty diamonds make you want to behave badly!

The antique heart ring was in my pocket before she caught me! :Up_to_something:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ROL, I can't believe you bought this stone! I very nearly bought it for my store (it was offered to me by the dealer the day before the show) but opted for a different one and passed on it. Thank goodness, right? It's really pretty on you! What a small world! When I found out you were going to Miami, I knew Grace would take good care of you. So glad I was right!

Congrats on your dream OEC. Didn't I always say you're a closet OEC girl trapped in a cushion lover's body? Yay for old cuts!!!

I saw on IG that Erika will be making your setting - we need more deets!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!! I m beyond happy for you that you found such a beautiful make of OEC. It has been such a journey but so worth it! Can't wait for your forever cushion to show up ;-) but I look forward to your custom setting in the mean time!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ROL, Congrats on finding a beautiful OEC... :appl: Every OEC have its own history.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning! I'm soooo jealous. SWOON :love: :love:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your patience and persistence is rewarded with such an amazing OEC. :appl: Love its faceting :love:

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Congrats on finding the OEC of your dreams!!! It is a beauty!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! So happy you found a stone! It is beautiful!!! :love: Is that first close up shot with the culet prior to or after enlarging the culet? It is very small like mine is and I do wish I weren't too lazy to get Jon to have it enlarged for me!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a magical result of a long journey! I am so glad you found such a beautiful OEC. How will it be set?
Enjoy your gorgeous stone and I hope you will share your setting story as well

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
It's stunning! So glad you found "the one" :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh ROL, your OEC is GORGEOUS. :love: While I loved your 4 carat cushion this OEC is perfect. So happy for you! The journey was long but worth every step to bring you to this. Looking forward to seeing your Erika Winters setting too. :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!

EC4me

Rough_Rock
Such an amazing diamond and what a journey to get it! It's perfect all on it's own but I can't wait to see it in the new setting! :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She's perfect! I think your journey was like mine....I had to live with each piece for a bit before I could decide what worked about it for me and what didn't...all of that led me to my perfect stone and setting. So happy that you have found yours! Enjoy her!!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, ROL that is a gorgeous stone; love the facet pattern! I can't wait to see the setting you choose!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, beautiful stone!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful diamond! Congrats on finding it, looks amazing on you.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
This looks absolutely perfect on your hand! A beautiful, beautiful ring! I finished my NP recently, when I only had classes I grew out my nails and wore bling all the time- it was fun! But now I'm getting fun bands for work, so jewelry.... always fun haha? :whistle:

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on finding your perfect OEC! I love it and I think you did very well!
Can't wait to see your final setting choice with this gorgeous diamond :D

makeable

Shiny_Rock
I'm drooling. What an incredible stone. Your persistence paid off big time. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results