shape
carat
color
clarity

Does halo protect colored stone in ring from damage?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Will a sapphire ring get scratched mostly on table with wear? Will a halo protect stone more than setting as solitaire or 3 stone setting? Or will get scratched with daily wear no matter what you do? I'm not interested in bezel set.

Thx.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphire is a good choice for every day wear.
every stone.....even a diamond....can be chipped/fractured/shattered.
but diamonds and sapphires are the best bets for durability........and I wouldn't worry about needing to halo it to protect it.
but then I don't like halos.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
A sapphire is unlikely to get scratched because of it's high hardness (which in the gem world translates to resistance to scratching). Unless it has been filled or treated in some other way that make it more fragile, if it comes in contact with another sapphire/ruby or a diamond it can scratch.

However they can absolutely chip, get abrasion or crack.

Others will comment on the halo question.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1423665412|3830821 said:
Will a sapphire ring get scratched mostly on table with wear? Will a halo protect stone more than setting as solitaire or 3 stone setting? Or will get scratched with daily wear no matter what you do? I'm not interested in bezel set.

Thx.

Halos will protect the edges a bit more, but a halo can't prevent the table or crown from getting damaged.

Corundum can get facet abrasion over time, but it's generally a very durable stone if you're careful. If you wear it to do rock climbing, housework, digging ditches in your backyard, then I would worry more.

Elizabeth Taylor's haloed ruby ring that was sold at Sotheby's a short time ago, had plenty of facet abrasion, and she wasn't someone who even did chores.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing is truly indestructible if worn whilst exercizing, doing housework, yardwork, etc. But with care (and removal before such activities), sapphires hold up very well. A halo protects it somewhat but that also depends on how high the stone sits above the halo (whether the girdle is flush against the halo, above the halo, high/low crown, etc).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will get chipped, scratched, whatever when you aren't looking. One day you look at your gem through a loupe and ask yourself what the heck happened, and when did it happen. It is just the way it is...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
A halo will protect a sapphire by physically shielding the sapphire's edges, which means that the halo may get damaged instead. For instance, if you hit your hand sideways against something, and hit the halo, instead of your sapphire, then the sapphire will not get damaged.

That's why the comments above talk about how the sapphire is set. If the sapphire is set above the halo, it won't protect it (the edges). A standard basket setting will protect the bottom of the sapphire, but not the edges (and the table).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results